Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Terry

Welcome Home !

Post by Terry »

GIRL HAPPY BOY

Re: Welcome Home !

Post by GIRL HAPPY BOY »

New to me , its a great shot , thank you Terry :)
Lior

Elvisgirl

Post by Elvisgirl »

sooooooooo handsome

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

With photographer Henri Dauman, Memphis Police Captain Fred Woodward in Memphis - Monday, March 7, 1960

When Memphis reporters joined the party in Grand Junction at 6:15 A.M. and then at Buntyn Station a little more than an hour later, he was still wearing his dress uniform with Good Conduct ribbon and Expert's medal for marksmanship prominently displayed, but by now he had donned one of the two formal lace shirts that Frank Sinatra's nineteen-year-old daughter, Nancy, had presented to him at Fort Dix on behalf of her father. "If I act nervous, it's because I am," he told Press-Scimitar reporter Bill Burk. "I've been gone a long time, a long time," he muttered almost to himself, as the train pulled in to the station. What had he missed most about Memphis? he was asked "Everything. I mean that—everything."

Two hundred fans, reporters, and the just plain curious were waiting when the train arrived at 7:45. It was snowing, and there was an icy wind, but the crowd chanted, "We want Elvis," as they massed behind a six-foot high wrought-iron fence. "It was nice to have you aboard," said the conductor, H. D. Kennamer, shaking his hand. "Thank you, sir," said Elvis Presley, squaring his shoulders and plunging back into the life he had once known. He walked along the fence, shaking hands through the bars and recognizing familiar faces. He spoke briefly with various friends and fans, then indicated to the Colonel's brother-in-law and aide, Bitsy Mott, that he wanted to confer with Gary Pepper, a twenty-seven-year-old cerebral palsy victim who had recently taken over the Tankers Fan Club (Elvis had been assigned to a tank corps) and was holding a "Welcome Home, Elvis, The Tankers" sign above his head. Bitsy wheeled Pepper through the crowd, and they had a brief meeting, with Pepper apologizing that there wasn't a bigger turnout, it was a school day, after all. "Elvis bit his lip," reported the newspaper, "seemed to be trying to repulse tears, and said, 'I'll see you later, pal."'

Then he was gone, scooped up in his old friend police captain Fred Woodward's squad car, arriving at Graceland less than thirty minutes later with lights flashing and siren screaming. "The gates swung open," reported the Memphis Press-Scimitar, "and Woodward's car . . . shot through at nearly 30 miles per hour. Then the gates closed. The king was once again on his throne."

- Careless Love - The Unmaking of Elvis Presley (New York: Little, Brown & Company, 1999)

Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Time for another edition of Compare and Contrast.

Reply #1
Elvisgirl wrote:sooooooooo handsome

Reply #2
drjohncarpenter wrote: Image

With photographer Henri Dauman, Memphis Police Captain Fred Woodward in Memphis - Monday, March 7, 1960

When Memphis reporters joined the party in Grand Junction at 6:15 A.M. and then at Buntyn Station a little more than an hour later, he was still wearing his dress uniform with Good Conduct ribbon and Expert's medal for marksmanship prominently displayed, but by now he had donned one of the two formal lace shirts that Frank Sinatra's nineteen-year-old daughter, Nancy, had presented to him at Fort Dix on behalf of her father. "If I act nervous, it's because I am," he told Press-Scimitar reporter Bill Burk. "I've been gone a long time, a long time," he muttered almost to himself, as the train pulled in to the station. What had he missed most about Memphis? he was asked "Everything. I mean that—everything."

Two hundred fans, reporters, and the just plain curious were waiting when the train arrived at 7:45. It was snowing, and there was an icy wind, but the crowd chanted, "We want Elvis," as they massed behind a six-foot high wrought-iron fence. "It was nice to have you aboard," said the conductor, H. D. Kennamer, shaking his hand. "Thank you, sir," said Elvis Presley, squaring his shoulders and plunging back into the life he had once known. He walked along the fence, shaking hands through the bars and recognizing familiar faces. He spoke briefly with various friends and fans, then indicated to the Colonel's brother-in-law and aide, Bitsy Mott, that he wanted to confer with Gary Pepper, a twenty-seven-year-old cerebral palsy victim who had recently taken over the Tankers Fan Club (Elvis had been assigned to a tank corps) and was holding a "Welcome Home, Elvis, The Tankers" sign above his head. Bitsy wheeled Pepper through the crowd, and they had a brief meeting, with Pepper apologizing that there wasn't a bigger turnout, it was a school day, after all. "Elvis bit his lip," reported the newspaper, "seemed to be trying to repulse tears, and said, 'I'll see you later, pal."'

Then he was gone, scooped up in his old friend police captain Fred Woodward's squad car, arriving at Graceland less than thirty minutes later with lights flashing and siren screaming. "The gates swung open," reported the Memphis Press-Scimitar, "and Woodward's car . . . shot through at nearly 30 miles per hour. Then the gates closed. The king was once again on his throne."

- Careless Love - The Unmaking of Elvis Presley (New York: Little, Brown & Company, 1999)

Which do you prefer?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

I don't know, Doc.... Elvisgirl has such a descriptive way with words. :lol:

Great photo, Terry.... thanks for posting it.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Which do you prefer?
Either one is fine. They're both true.

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:Either one is fine.
Oh, that's just wonderful.

Here, then, are 637 more you are sure to enjoy -> Elvisgirl - Picture Section

Please let us know how much pleasure you got out of these. They're all "true."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

life's too short fella! get a grip!

drjohncarpenter

Kylan wrote:life's too short fella! get a grip!
Don't you fret none, I am certain Rob will come to his senses after about 315 of them.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm fully aware of Elvisgirl and her posts. I tend to overlook most of them. You should try it because I see a stroke coming on from you worrying about them so much.

Let it go -- nothing is going to change.

Topic author
Brad M

Post by Brad M »

Doc you always come up with some really great additional information to go along with photo's and such and its really a great treat and a wonderful addition to the board !! :smt006

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:I'm fully aware of Elvisgirl and her posts. I tend to overlook most of them.
I have an aversion to willful ignorance. Why don't you?

Brad M wrote:Doc you always come up with some really great additional information to go along with photos and such and its really a great treat and a wonderful addition to the board !!
This is what I do.

Thanks Brad, for the very kind words.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:I'm fully aware of Elvisgirl and her posts. I tend to overlook most of them.
I have an aversion to willful ignorance.
You'd be better off admitting that you have a crush on the girl. It's nothing we don't already know.

We're all friends here.....and we're here for you.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

This is what I meant, Doc, when I posted a week or so ago that elvisgril seems to get under your skin. You indicated that was not the case at all, but this discourse seems to counter that assertion.

I do agree with you, but it's not worth the aggravation, is it?

drjohncarpenter

KHoots wrote:I do agree with you ...
Ring them bells -- intelligence is valued!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.