Kansas City, MO 6-29-74

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Kansas City, MO 6-29-74

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Here is a Polaroid from that evening's concert. We received these tickets through my Dad's association with Joe Esposito. These shots are closer than our Little Rock '72 pictures because my Dad actually got up and went out into the aisle to take them. In Little Rock, he just snapped from his seat.

Hope you enjoy....

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Kansas City, MO 6-29-74

Post by drjohncarpenter »

FAN-TAS-TIC!

Thanks, Frankie.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by hilton22000 »

Great photo, Frankie, thank you very much!!!! Do you have some more, please? :)

Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the snapshot. I was lucky enough to have seen his show three days prior. However, I wasn't lucky enough to get any tenth row pictures. I don't even have a ticket stub to show for as I didn't have to have one to get in (long story).

Wow -- June 1974. Ain't it funny how time slips away?

Ben

Post by Ben »

have i ever told you your one of my favorite members on here Frankie?? well you are :wink: you have posted some great pictures and info and i love seeing 'new' pictures. if it wasn't for you and your family we probably wouldn't know that we had the incorrect pictures to the Afternoon and Evening Shows from this date, thank you very much.

P.S. did you or your family record any of the shows you attended?? i remember you saying about the show you(or maybe your aunt) attended in 1971 that was recorded but the tape was snapped, but did you record the others??

thanks
Rob wrote:Thanks for the snapshot. I was lucky enough to have seen his show three days prior. However, I wasn't lucky enough to get any tenth row pictures. I don't even have a ticket stub to show for as I didn't have to have one to get in (long story).

Wow -- June 1974. Ain't it funny how time slips away?
maybe you could tell us that story of how you got in without a ticket :wink:

The fool

Post by The fool »

FrankieRider2 wrote:Hope you enjoy....
I sure do. Thank you!

Rob

Post by Rob »

ben wrote:maybe you could tell us that story of how you got in without a ticket :wink:
I already did. It's on here somewhere.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Thanks FRankie. What color the band was wearing on that concert?

gwsells
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by gwsells »

Thanks soooooo much!!

JUST BECAUSE IT'S CLOUDY DOESN'T MEAN IT'S GONNA RAIN

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

hilton22000 wrote:Great photo, Frankie, thank you very much!!!! Do you have some more, please? :)
Why, yes.... I do. :lol: These were taken about 10 seconds apart.... I wish even today I could thank that woman for jumping up and nearly ruining the entire shot....

Rob, I can relate to the ticket stub deal.... I've found all mine this week except for the 1974 Memphis concert we attended. The shots above were all taken from the aisle at stage right.... we were actually sitting in Row 5.

ben, you're going to spoil me with all these nice comments. As for audience recordings made on woefully inadequate Montgomery Ward "box" tape recorders.... we (being the family) taped Tuscaloosa, Little Rock, Fort Worth (I think), Phoenix, and the first Memphis show we saw in 1974. After that, we have no others that I am aware of.

Francesc, I can't see the band in the Polaroids that I have.... but the Sweet Inspirations (as you too can see) were wearing white outfits.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

These are really nice polaroids! There's something about these kinda photos that some close ups dont have.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Thanks for showing us Frankie, they are fantastic.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Elvisgirl
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Elvisgirl »

nice pics

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

Thank you again, Frankie...just keep 'em coming.
If you have others from this concert or another show, we're here for you :wink:

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by karlos »

FANTASTIC -
i love it - many thanx for sharing -

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Beautific! Thanks again, Frankie.

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Re: Kansas City, MO 6-29-74.... And Other Shows!

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Well, hilton.... I saved the best one for last. This one has a small story behind it....

My Dad had ventured out into the aisle and was at about Row 3 when he shouted out to Elvis for a photo; he had his Polaroid camera up over his head waving it. I guess he caught Elvis' attention in the footlights; he waved my Dad down closer, struck this foot-up pose, and pointed to an area right between two guards posted at the corner of the stage. Dad snapped this photo just as he pointed and then hoofed it down to the stage to snap another shot.

Cut to end: flash bulb pops, Elvis smiles and waves, turns back and goes off the other direction. We peel the negative off this shot....Yeah, baby! We then go to peel the other negative off the really good photo.... you've got to be kidding! Nothing.... just a black square.

My Dad was so mad that he set that Polaroid land camera down under his seat and told us "I'll never use this SOB again.... ever!" And he never did. He still has it, but it has never shot another package of film since.

The rest from this show are too blurry to post, really. Hope you all enjoy this one, though.
Last edited by FrankieRider2 on Wed May 07, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Other shows....? Hmm.

Well, let's see. I've already told the Phoenix story in another thread.

Oh, yes.... there was Fort Worth, Texas in June of 1972.

This shot was taken at the end of "Suspicious Minds".... isn't it a beauty?

Yes, that's him.... I promise. But I'm not sure which looks more detailed.... Elvis or the house lights. :lol:

I thank the Good Lord for two things about that concert: 1) binoculars, and 2) Ed Bonja.

I know he wasn't the greatest photographer as a whole, but I'm glad he was there that night so we can all see some good shots from that show. It was one of the best we ever saw Elvis put on. I'm glad I have these:

Others..... well, there was Tuscaloosa, Alabama 1971.

This was shot during "That"s All Right, Mama". Yes, he's there. :lol:

Enlarge the center section enough and you can see his legs, his gold belt, and the mike stand in the reclining position.... trust me. This was the night my mother got so mad because he wasn't wearing white.... we had decent seats, but you really couldn't see much. We couldn't even see him when he came on stage, even though he came out on our side. That Black Matador suit really soaked up the spotlights.

This is the night my Dad got trampled trying to get a photo of Elvis leaving the University of Alabama Fieldhouse.

I've got some good George Hill black/white shots from this show that I'll post when I locate them, though.
Last edited by FrankieRider2 on Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Whew! Great stuff. Loving the pics, Frankie. As much as I like the concert shots--and I love those--I really enjoy shots such as the marquee announcing Elvis being there. Those, along with shots from deep into the arena, are awesome.

Bonja? He took his share of great shots.....

Ben

Post by Ben »

FrankieRider2 wrote:Ben, you're going to spoil me with all these nice comments.

I always tell the truth though Frankie :wink:
FrankieRider2 wrote:As for audience recordings made on woefully inadequate Montgomery Ward "box" tape recorders.... we (being the family) taped Tuscaloosa, Little Rock, Fort Worth (I think), Phoenixwas that in 1973 on the Memory release At The Top Of His Game show??, and the first Memphis show we saw in 1974. After that, we have no others that I am aware of.
thanks a lot Frankie for letting me know, do you know what the sound is like on these compared to the other versions of the shows taped?? and have they been out on CD or CD-R?? thank you for the great pictures. :) :)

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

ben wrote:
FrankieRider2 wrote:Ben, you're going to spoil me with all these nice comments.

I always tell the truth though Frankie :wink:
FrankieRider2 wrote:As for audience recordings made on woefully inadequate Montgomery Ward "box" tape recorders.... we (being the family) taped Tuscaloosa, Little Rock, Fort Worth (I think), Phoenixwas that in 1973 on the Memory release At The Top Of His Game show??, and the first Memphis show we saw in 1974. After that, we have no others that I am aware of.
thanks a lot Frankie for letting me know, do you know what the sound is like on these compared to the other versions of the shows taped?? and have they been out on CD or CD-R?? thank you for the great pictures. :) :)
Yes, that Memory album was taken from my original source tape. You can hear my parents talking and my Dad laughing as clear as a bell on that. I traded it for a couple of audience recordings with another party who was almost frantically "interested" to get a copy of it after they learned I had it; apparently a copy of this Easter Sunday show had not surfaced up until that time. But in all our correspondence, I sure don't ever recall reading anything about a CD going to be made from it, though.

Here's the original cassette tape:

My aunt taped the Tuscaloosa and Little Rock shows; as I recall the 1971 show was decent in quality, but it's been a LONG time since I heard it. She told me a few weeks ago that her LR tape was not a good as the audience recording I had.... which is the same source as featured on the recent CD release. My cassette has a little better sound quality, I think.... maybe a newer generation copy of the source?

We taped the Phoenix show and also the 3-17-74 evening show in Memphis, but the tape speed drags on the last three or so songs on that last tape. Something happened with our attempt at KC and then I don't recall us attempting to tape any other shows after that.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Ben

Post by Ben »

FrankieRider2 wrote:Yes, that Memory album was taken from my original source tape. You can hear my parents talking and my Dad laughing as clear as a bell on that. I traded it for a couple of audience recordings with another party who was almost frantically "interested" to get a copy of it after they learned I had it; apparently a copy of this Easter Sunday show had not surfaced up until that time. But in all our correspondence, I sure don't ever recall reading anything about a CD going to be made from it, though.
the dirty gits :wink: but thank you for recording the show and been kind enough to swap it and give us all the chance to hear the show in great sound, i gave it a listen a bit ago and thought of you and how lucky were to see Elvis in 'his prime'.
FrankieRider2 wrote:Here's the original cassette tape:

thanks a lot again, i love seeing things like this, as soon as i saw that i thought of my cassette collection(that i only just got) and knew there were a few tapes that had the writing on the blue 'brail' type writing on them and i looked and found two shows that were like that, they were - Memphis March 17th 1974(don't know which show) and Huntsville June 1st 1975, are these copies of your tapes maybe??

i would love it if you could post the other tapes please, thank you so much

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

Many thanks, Frankie, you're so lucky!!! And we are, you're here with your memories, right? :wink:
Great shots and stories, thank you once again.

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

hilton.... not a problem. This is what this forum is here for, is it not.... to share with other enthusiasts?

Ben, no, I've not ever "released" any other tapes out there :lol: .... so the ones you mentioned did not come from me. Too bad, though.... as I recall, the Memphis show we saw had a good version of "That's All Right, Mama" right at the end of the performance where "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy" was included on the RCA album. I'll have to try and dig it up for you so you can give it a glance.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

AWESOME Stories Frankie, thanks for sharing.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010