Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Now the stage is low!

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:My brain hurts!

Indeed! It can get confusin' as hell, eh, Doc?

drjohncarpenter wrote:Seriously, nice work, all.

Thanks, Doc. I just hope I was able to provide some useful information. I'm not as knowledgeable 'bout some of this stuff as some of you all are but I'm slowly learning...and having a hell of a lot of fun doing so!!

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:29 am

There ya go!

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:There ya go!

:wink:

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Now, if we can just solve the "running to the car" footage of Elvis in the "Blue Nail" suit we'll be doing damned good!! :P

I'm going to take another run at this right now. I've been watching EOT over the past couple of days getting ready to go back to LR and here's my take on what I've gathered from the "Blue Nail" exit sequence as shown in the film.

The cape walk-around is from Hampton Roads right up to where he leaves the stage. The order is different: instead of side-side-front, the order is side-front-side. After he walks headlong into the camera on the corner of the stage, he then steps back and walks over to the stage apron to go down the steps. The orange section markers are clear along the rim of the venue as can be seen in his entrance.

CUT

The next shot shows him coming to the rear of the stage and the location is different. If you slow the film down, you can see the original belt for the Blue Nail suit when he reaches out for the white towel. The camera passes by either a support or a curtain and then shows Elvis coming down off the stage. This is where the lady comes up screaming into the frame and tries to grab Elvis as his troupe tries to hustle him away. If you will look, he comes straight off the back of the stage.... not the right side as in Hampton Roads. So this sequence has to be from another venue.

CUT

The run-down-the ramp sequence has the White Fireworks belt; you can see it when he goes to jump in the car at the rear of the sequence. But I'm not sure it's from Hampton Roads.... somebody check me on this, but it looks like when the group just first starts to come into frame that you can see the back of the orchestra members onstage above. It looks like a line of people sitting with vests and while sleeved shirts like seen in the warm-up footage before "I Got A Woman"; it also looks like you can glimpse the charts sitting in front of each one. If this is the case, then the stampede shown is not from Hampton Roads but from another venue because the exit would have been from the left instead of the right as everyone knows was the case in Hampton Roads.

So....

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:55 pm

Frankie,

Don't forget the alternate "running to the car" shot used in This Is Elvis, which is from yet another venue, with Elvis wearing the original belt!

It's truly mindboggling just how much footage they shot, seeming to get something in nearly every stop of the tour.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:56 pm

Sweet Jesus, Frankie! I'm glad you did all of that, because my head would spin if I did it. Thanks for the info!

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:29 am

KHoots wrote:Sweet Jesus, Frankie! I'm glad you did all of that, because my head would spin if I did it. Thanks for the info!

Hey, no problem.... :lol: A spinning head is not necessarily a bad thing, right?

Darryl, I don't have "This Is Elvis" at all except on a pirated VHS copy. I'll try to find that tonight and give a look-see. I'll be anxious to see the differences.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Frankie,

The bit you're looking for is the Promised Land montage of EOT / TTWII footage, towards the end of the movie.

Happy viewing!

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:40 pm

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd continue posting in this one even though we're drifting away from the subject title a bit.

I've been doing a little research on the off-stage footage in EOT and managed to date quite a few bits and pieces I think. I've used a few pics that are not in the footage to give a continuance on the tour.

First out there's the footage where Elvis arrives at the airport and boards the jet. In the background we see what is the beginning of the word "Airsearch" on a building and when the marschaller is wawing Elvis' jet away we see the entire word on his back "Airsearch Aviation, Los Angeles" and something more. So this footage would most likely be from Elvis leaving Los Angeles heading for Buffalo and the start of the tour.
Here's a pic from the footage:

Then there is some footage of Elvis walking down the stairs of the jet. He's wearing the same clothes as in above footage as is the guys with him. So this could very well be from his arrival in Buffalo. Whether or not he flew from L.A. to Buffalo on April 5 or earlier I don't know.

Then we have this photo from April 8 and his arrival in Knoxville.

I assume the arrival in Knoxville happened just an hour or so prior to the afternoon show and that Vernon did not change clothes between arrival and showtime. Elvis used the Snowflake suit only twice on the tour and If we judge by Vernon's dark tie the following footage would be Elvis entering the Stokely Athletic Center in Knoxville.

Next up is a photo from his arrival in Hampton on April 9.

Then we jump to the footage of Elvis arriving in Roanoke on April 11 where he talks to the mayor or something inside the plane.

I think the following footage also comes from Roanoke

The next footage we can date is the one from Greensboro on April 14. Only time he wore this suit.

If the above footage from April 8 is correct then this footage inside the building is from April 15 in Macon as he only wore the suit on these two occasions. If not correct, well they just have to switch places.

Next up is a photo supposed to be from his departure from Macon on April 16 heading for Jacksonville. Red and Joe wear same clothes as they do in the footage inside car in Jacksonville.

On April 16 we see Elvis in Jacksonville both prior to afternoon show:

and after the same show:

In the following photo Red, Joe and Dick wear the same clothes as they do in Little Rock and I've dated this as departing Jacksonville on April 17 which might be true or not.

Then we have the footage which started this thread, namely from Little Rock, April 17.

From April 19 in Albuquerque comes this photo.

One last piece of footage we can at least date partly as Elvis wore the White Pinwheel suit on April 6, 11, 15 and 18. If Joe and Vernon changed clothes between the afternoon and evening show it could be from evening show on April 15. I doubt April 11 as Dick wore other clothes at the airport.

Well, just a little run-down of the off-stage footage and photos we have from the April 72 tour.

I'd be happy to hear any thoughts and ideas to above as well as seing new photos that can fill in the empty spaces.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:25 pm

Fantastic, Brian. It is very cool to watch it unfold through your words and pics. Thanks....

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:41 pm

bripet56 wrote:Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd continue posting in this one even though we're drifting away from the subject title a bit.

I've been doing a little research on the off-stage footage in EOT and managed to date quite a few bits and pieces I think. I've used a few pics that are not in the footage to give a continuance on the tour.

First out there's the footage where Elvis arrives at the airport and boards the jet. In the background we see what is the beginning of the word "Airsearch" on a building and when the marschaller is wawing Elvis' jet away we see the entire word on his back "Airsearch Aviation, Los Angeles" and something more. So this footage would most likely be from Elvis leaving Los Angeles heading for Buffalo and the start of the tour.
Here's a pic from the footage:

Then there is some footage of Elvis walking down the stairs of the jet. He's wearing the same clothes as in above footage as is the guys with him. So this could very well be from his arrival in Buffalo. Whether or not he flew from L.A. to Buffalo on April 5 or earlier I don't know.

Then we have this photo from April 8 and his arrival in Knoxville.

I assume the arrival in Knoxville happened just an hour or so prior to the afternoon show and that Vernon did not change clothes between arrival and showtime. Elvis used the Snowflake suit only twice on the tour and If we judge by Vernon's dark tie the following footage would be Elvis entering the Stokely Athletic Center in Knoxville.

Next up is a photo from his arrival in Hampton on April 9.

Then we jump to the footage of Elvis arriving in Roanoke on April 11 where he talks to the mayor or something inside the plane.

I think the following footage also comes from Roanoke

The next footage we can date is the one from Greensboro on April 14. Only time he wore this suit.

If the above footage from April 8 is correct then this footage inside the building is from April 15 in Macon as he only wore the suit on these two occasions. If not correct, well they just have to switch places.

Next up is a photo supposed to be from his departure from Macon on April 16 heading for Jacksonville. Red and Joe wear same clothes as they do in the footage inside car in Jacksonville.

On April 16 we see Elvis in Jacksonville both prior to afternoon show:

and after the same show:

In the following photo Red, Joe and Dick wear the same clothes as they do in Little Rock and I've dated this as departing Jacksonville on April 17 which might be true or not.

Then we have the footage which started this thread, namely from Little Rock, April 17.

From April 19 in Albuquerque comes this photo.

One last piece of footage we can at least date partly as Elvis wore the White Pinwheel suit on April 6, 11, 15 and 18. If Joe and Vernon changed clothes between the afternoon and evening show it could be from evening show on April 15. I doubt April 11 as Dick wore other clothes at the airport.

Well, just a little run-down of the off-stage footage and photos we have from the April 72 tour.

I'd be happy to hear any thoughts and ideas to above as well as seing new photos that can fill in the empty spaces.

Sincerely
Brian

Wow...that was interesting to read! Thanks, Brian!! :D :D :D

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:21 am

Thanks guys, glad you liked it.

I almost forgot to include these pics which also belong in the continuance.

From March 30 at the RCA studio in Hollywood.

And from same studio on March 31

and then this footage which I have been told should be from Buffalo April 5. Whether or not this is true I don't know but at least Elvis wears the same necklace as he does leaving Los Angeles for Buffalo.

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:31 am

Incredible, thanks again Brian, and everybody who contributed to this thread!

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:55 am

Joe Carr: I agree! This has been an awesome thread!

Sidenote: As soon as I hear from Sonny 'bout the "running to the car" footage I'll be sure to post his answer. Sandi Pichon (who I was thrilled to speak with on the phone today for the very first time!) told me to be patient and rest assured that Sonny will reply when he has time.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:28 am

The fantastic detective work of Brian, Tony, Darryl, Frankie and the rest of you guys who have contributed mightily to the thread started by funky got me thinking...Why can't we have one jumbo thread of every known Elvis photo in chronological order. It would be the definitive thread of all threads!! Don't bother with any text. Dates and locations would be fine.

Someone get to work on that. How hard could that be?

Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 am

KHoots wrote:The fantastic detective work of Brian, Tony, Darryl, Frankie and the rest of you guys who have contributed mightily to the thread started by funky got me thinking...Why can't we have one jumbo thread of every known Elvis photo in chronological order. It would be the definitive thread of all threads!! Don't bother with any text. Dates and locations would be fine.

Someone get to work on that. How hard could that be?

Lets see, the most photographed man in the world when alive, how hard can that be, lets do it! We should set some ground rules first, what do you people think?

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:06 am

OK, Darryl and other folks, we're to the bottom of this dilemma about the Blue Nail exit sequences now. I haven't watched this tape in probably ten years at least.... what were the odds that the tape was stopped at exactly this sequence? It was.... :lol:

So I transferred this part of my old VHS copy of "This Is Elvis" to DVD tonight so I could slow it down and here's how it plays out.... it's pretty simple and straightforward when you break it down, actually.

The exit in question, Darryl:

As you can see, the original belt for the Blue Nail suit is in plain view. Now, let's go back to a frame or so before this image....

Look at the double doors in the background. What letter is painted on those doors?

You can make out the word "BUFFALO" and "---VER" on the door if you look at the enlargement above. So this exit sequence is from the opening show in Buffalo, NY on April 5, 1972.... what you see in "TIE" is the continuation of what we see in the original film where the lady runs in and screams and tries to grab EP as he comes down off the stage. I covered that scene breakdown in my post above.

So.... this will make us all wonder now about the presence of one single camera that night just to shoot reference footage. This is the onstage image I was talking about in another post pertaining to this show:

As you can see, there is no windscreen on that microphone.... plus the belt matches too with this Buffalo karate sequence that DJC originally posted about:

Also, the suit is not unzipped quite as much as it was at Hampton Roads a few days later.... that show was almost like "hey, cover something up there, buddy...." :shock:
:lol:

Of course, the ladies here probably don't share my predilections on that....
Last edited by FrankieRider2 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:20 am

DarrylMac wrote:Kris,

I would say that all but one of your photo's are from Hampton Roads - the blue nail suit in the evening, and the red burning love suit in the afternoon. The only one I'm not sure about is the one with the blond girl.

It could be Little Rock, if the girl is standing on the ground, as the stage was very low, which is where this thread started! I don't think it's Hampton Roads, so perhaps Richmond on the 10th?

There are several photo's showing those small, fixed cameras, both during the April tour for filming, and later, at MSG.

Brian,

Yes, I agree that the entrance is Elvis coming up the stairs at Hampton Roads. You can see that lettering later in the flim during Love Me Tender, when he goes to the side and waves to the crowd.

As for the crouching scene, it could well be Knoxville - it makes sense, we just need to ensure the band wore white at Knoxville, and we're there!

I think the filmmakers were using them for fixed angle shots, perhaps entrances, crowd shots, orchestra etc?

Darryl, that crouching sequence pictured is not from Little Rock; I listened to my cassette copy of that show again tonight and "Love Me Tender in our show was a short, one-verse rendition. There is no interplay between Elvis and anyone else in the crowd during the song. I believe that most of the "Burning Love" suit footage used in EOT is from Richmond; the version of "UITFYTG" matches up to the film and so does the lying down sequence after "Polk Salad Annie".... although there is a photograph of this on eBay right now purporting to be from LR. In Little Rock, Elvis made the "that woke me up" remark after "PSA" and then went headway right into "Love Me" with no break in between.

They missed out on some strong performances by not using any Little Rock footage; "Proud Mary" flat smokes, and the "Suspicious Minds" is a great version.... the ad lib of "don't try this at home, folks" during the karate split makes for a unique version of the song. I'd love to have this show on CD.
Last edited by FrankieRider2 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:23 am

Before I forget.... Brian, great work as always.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:26 am

DarrylMac wrote:It's truly mindboggling just how much footage they shot, seeming to get something in nearly every stop of the tour.

They should have shot the actual concert in every city that they filmed anything at all.... then think what all we'd have.... 8)

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 am

FrankieRider2, marvellous research, I just love it when we get some results, and man do we here.

How about this for the sign on the door in Buffalo :lol: :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:21 pm

Darryl, that crouching sequence pictured is not from Little Rock; I listened to my cassette copy of that show again tonight and "Love Me Tender in our show was a short, one-verse rendition. There is no interplay between Elvis and anyone else in the crowd during the song. I believe that most of the "Burning Love" suit footage used in EOT is from Richmond; the version of "UITFYTG" matches up to the film and so does the lying down sequence after "Polk Salad Annie".

The thing is. Frankie, someone posted a photo from Richmond, and when the girl was up at the stage, she was having to be lifted / supported, as the stage was much higher. I agree that Until Its Time, and the lying down part were from Richmond, but still think the stage is too low in the photo with the blond for it to be Richmond. As we can see during the rest of the film, there were other times people came to the stage and got a kiss other than Love Me Tender.

Brian - amazing work to come up with the patch for the Buffalo Braves!

Now, if that camera was backstage fliming Elvis' exit in Buffalo, I maintain that there must have been at LEAST 2 cameras present on the night. One camera must have been filming Elvis from the front, as in the Karate footage, and as it's the first show they saw surely they would have wanted to get as much of Elvis as possible to understand his show / moves etc, and the other getting the "from behind" clip that was posted above, and general backstage footage.

Absolutely fascinating.

Frankie, I have another one for you. During that Promised Land scene, I'm sure we see Elvis enter the stage up some stairs on the side of the stage wearing the Burning Love suit. Hampton Roads maybe, as it seems a similar entrance.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Charlie wasn't joking, nor was Lamar! April 17th
'72 Little Rock, Arkansas (T.H Barton Coliseum)
eBay item number: 170202930808 cathielvis :lol:

Oh Geez that is low! How awkward!

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:41 am

bripet56 wrote:FrankieRider2, marvellous research, I just love it when we get some results, and man do we here.

How about this for the sign on the door in Buffalo :lol: :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

AARRGGHH! You DOG! :lol: Man, I Googled and Yahooed, and everything else I could think of for "Buffalo, New York" trying to find that logo and got squat.... hats off to you, my friend.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:44 am

IMETJB wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:Charlie wasn't joking, nor was Lamar! April 17th
'72 Little Rock, Arkansas (T.H Barton Coliseum)
eBay item number: 170202930808 cathielvis :lol:

Oh Geez that is low! How awkward!

PLEASE stop showing those photos.... I can't believe I missed those two shots for the grand total of $5.00.... :smt005