Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Now the stage is low!

Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Could someone post one or two of the pics from Francesc's site as I can't access it??

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:57 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:Frankie, you are thoroughly alright and well respected in our books, man!

Thanks a lot, funky.... because for another 7-10 days I've got 96,000 square feet of this to monitor 24/7:

When they're gone, I'll be free to travel.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Brian - here are 3 of the several pics from Fransescs site dated as Inidanapolis. As Christian says, the band are in blue, wheras on the EOT I Got A Woman entrance shot, they are in white.

indy.jpg

indy2.jpg

indy3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Well, if the band wore white at the entrance shot of I Got a Woman then the footage probably has to be from Knoxville as this was likely the only time on the tour with the band in white and Elvis in the Blue Nail suit. I say probably and lileky because it's kind of hard to see what the band wore in Jacksonville.

I don't have the DVD available at the moment so can't check out the song to see which suits the band wore but here's the five times Elvis wore the Blue Nail on the April 72-tour.

April 5 in Buffalo, band in dark-blue

April 8 in Knoxville, band in white

April 9 in Hampton, band in dark-blue

April 12 in Indianapolis, band in dark-blue

April 16 in Jacksonville, band in what??

There you go, a run-down of the Blue Nail suit from the April 72 tour and I'm pretty sure these pics are really from the said cities.

Sincerely
Brian
Last edited by bripet56 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Brian,

The last pic you posted is from Jacksonville matinee show - Elvis is clearly wearing the white pyramid suit with the gold belt, and the band are indeed in light blue, which would make it unlikely they wore light blue the same evening.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:14 pm

Why did you have to be so fast DarrylMac :D :D

I noticed the moment I checked my post and switched the photo but you were too fast for me :lol: :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:23 pm

lol Brian - right place at the right time! So, perhaps Christian is right that Elvis wore the blue nail / white fireworks in Jacksonville, with the band in white in the evening?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:20 am

I don't know if this is from the footage we're talking about but I think it is as we can see part of the white suit to the right in the picture.

This is NOT from Jacksonville as there were no footlight at the front of the stage in Jacksonville. This footage is from Knoxville, no doubt about that.

However, the part where we see Elvis enter the stage some seconds prior to this footage is from another venue as there is no footlights in that footage.

Elvis wears the Firework belt in both pics above and he only wore that belt for the shows in Knoxville, Hampton and Indianapolis. So those first seconds where Elvis climbs the stage and walks towards the center is from either Hampton or Indianapolis.

Does any of this make any sense!! I hope so.

Sincerely
Brian

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:04 am

Brain, I believe the entrance above is HR, because that is the same side he exits from when he walks into the big camera right at the end. Also, that side appears to be the direction the troupe comes from when they start the big charge down the hill to the limo that everybody has been discussing of late.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:15 am

Kris,

I would say that all but one of your photo's are from Hampton Roads - the blue nail suit in the evening, and the red burning love suit in the afternoon. The only one I'm not sure about is the one with the blond girl.

It could be Little Rock, if the girl is standing on the ground, as the stage was very low, which is where this thread started! I don't think it's Hampton Roads, so perhaps Richmond on the 10th?

There are several photo's showing those small, fixed cameras, both during the April tour for filming, and later, at MSG.

Brian,

Yes, I agree that the entrance is Elvis coming up the stairs at Hampton Roads. You can see that lettering later in the flim during Love Me Tender, when he goes to the side and waves to the crowd.

As for the crouching scene, it could well be Knoxville - it makes sense, we just need to ensure the band wore white at Knoxville, and we're there!

I think the filmmakers were using them for fixed angle shots, perhaps entrances, crowd shots, orchestra etc?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:53 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
So, perhaps Christian is right that Elvis wore the blue nail / white fireworks in Jacksonville, with the band in white in the evening?

I don't think Christian is right Darryl and I'll try and explain why. When it comes to dating photos I've learned that sometimes it's not enough to look at what suit Elvis or the band wore. You also have to look at the platform on which the band played, the cord on the microphone Elvis used or as in this case the position of the microphone pointing into the drums.

As you'll see in the pics below that microphone has the exact same position and it's the same type of microphonestand as well. Even the cord has the exact same position.

If you look at the drum-microphone from other shows you'll notice that you won't find the exact same in other photos. OK, I know it's hard to tell in all shows but this is identical in both photos and I don't think I've seen that in other photos.
Now look at the arm of Jerry Scheff. Clearly a dark suit.

And then of course there's the fact that Elvis only wore the original belt in Buffalo and Jacksonville and in Buffalo he used a totally different mike.

So, all put together it points to the fact that the only show with Elvis in the Blue Nail suit and band in white is Knoxville.

April 16, Jacksonville afternoon show, copyright George Hill

April 16, Jacksonville evening show

Well, this got to be a longer explanation than I had thought but hopefully we can now agree upon the five photos of the Blue Nail suit in my earlier post.

Ohh yeah, I agree with you DarrylMac on the dating of the photos Kris P posted. Here's a better version of one of them
copyright Ersie Goins

Sincerely
Brian

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:35 pm

bripet56 wrote:When it comes to dating photos I've learned that sometimes it's not enough to look at what suit Elvis or the band wore. You also have to look at the platform on which the band played, the cord on the microphone Elvis used or as in this case the position of the microphone pointing into the drums.

Wow!

I'm glad that some of you guys are still around. It brings back memories of me listening to excerpts of tapes and watching various 8mm clips trying to match certain things. I used to have to know every song and every suit worn at each show. I've literally spent hours trying to match up footage to figure out the date and place. I decided years ago that I was no longer going to put myself through that. Then a few years back I stumbled in here, and to my surprise, found that there are many who have it worse than I ever did. I don't envy you people at all. However, I am grateful for you. I no longer have to do all of the work. It is now right in front of me. I'm not as interested in all of the details as I used to be. I no longer have to know each song performed and if he wore this belt with that suit. I'm glad that some of you need to know this though, because when I do want to know the color of the guitar pick he uses during the Kansas City show in 1974, I can usually find it out here. Elvis fans are a different kind of breed altogether. While I am still a fan, I am no longer one of 'those.'

I'm glad some still are though.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Brian - you are of course right. I have often looked for bits of tape on mic cords, stage set up etc, and that's why I am so interested in this one, and the On Tour footage generally. There are so many puzzles to solve!

I always had a hunch it wasn't Jacksonville, as other pics I've seen credited to Jacksonville show him in the original belt, as well as yours, and you're right re: Gerry's sleeve. Definitely dark.

Ok then - how about this one. Again, April 72. Band are in dark, Elvis is wearing Nail Suit and original belt, but note his hair - I don't think it's Hampton Roads.

April 72.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:42 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Brian - you are of course right. I have often looked for bits of tape on mic cords, stage set up etc, and that's why I am so interested in this one, and the On Tour footage generally. There are so many puzzles to solve!

I always had a hunch it wasn't Jacksonville, as other pics I've seen credited to Jacksonville show him in the original belt, as well as yours, and you're right re: Gerry's sleeve. Definitely dark.

Ok then - how about this one. Again, April 72. Band are in dark, Elvis is wearing Nail Suit and original belt, but note his hair - I don't think it's Hampton Roads.

April 72.jpg

If it wasn't for the suit, I would swear this pic was taken in 1971!

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:49 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Brian - you are of course right. I have often looked for bits of tape on mic cords, stage set up etc, and that's why I am so interested in this one, and the On Tour footage generally. There are so many puzzles to solve!

April 72.jpg

DarrylMac,

It's definitely not Hampton Roads, VA because Elvis didn't wear the original belt for this suit during that show. He wore the "White Fireworks" belt.

Could it be Albequerque, NM from April 19th? I've never heard this date mentioned much when discussing the filming of EOT. Did MGM film any more concert footage after San Antonio on April 18th???????

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Well DarrylMac, let's first agree upon which belt is which.
This is what I call the Blue Nail belt

and this is the Firework belt

Hope we all agree upon above!!
Then take a look at your photo again DarrlyMac. He wears the Firework belt in the photo which would mean either Hampton or Indianapolis. I wouldn't dare say which one.

Tony, it couldn't be from Albuquerque as he wore the Firework suit in Albuquerque.

Sincerely
Brian

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:30 pm

sorry - that's a typo on my part! I know it's the firework belt, but with all this talk of suits and belts, my head is spinning!

That's why I knew it could be Hampton Roads, but wasn't, due to his hair being brushed back over his ears. (which looks much better than it did in Hampton Roads!)

Now, it can't be Indianapolis, where photos show that the band wore pale blue, and it's clearly not Hampton Roads. So, where else could it be?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 pm

bripet56 wrote:Well DarrylMac, let's first agree upon which belt is which.
This is what I call the Blue Nail belt

and this is the Firework belt

Hope we all agree upon above!!

We do agree. The first belt is the original "Blue Nail" belt and the second belt is the "White Fireworks" belt.

bripet56 wrote:Tony, it couldn't be from Albuquerque as he wore the Firework suit in Albuquerque.

You're right, Brian. I had a blonde moment....

DarrylMac wrote:
Now, it can't be Indianapolis, where photos show that the band wore pale blue, and it's clearly not Hampton Roads. So, where else could it be?

The only other date I can come up with would be Knoxville, TN on April 8, 1972.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:21 pm

DarrylMac, you better stop that head from spinning :lol: :lol:

The band wore dark-blue on all the shows where Elvis wore the Blue Nail EXCEPT the one in Knoxville where they wore white.

I wouldn't put too much notice into how his hair was combed as it would only stay combed back for a very very short time and then fall down like we see in most photos.

The photo can ONLY be from Hampton or Indianapolis.
EDITED: The photo is from Jan/Feb Las Vegas EDITED

Sincerely
Brian
Last edited by bripet56 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:35 pm

Sorry DarrylMac, I was so snowed in on April 72 so I didn't stop to think.

The photo is of course from the January/February engagement in Las Vegas. He wore the same combination suit/belt and had his hair combed back like in your photo.

Sincerely
Brian

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Brian,

Wow! I hadn't thought about it being from Las Vegas..... :oops:
Last edited by Tony Trout on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:38 pm

Neither had I Tony, neither had I :lol: :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:43 pm

bripet56 wrote:Neither had I Tony, neither had I :lol: :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

Now, if we can just solve the "running to the car" footage of Elvis in the "Blue Nail" suit we'll be doing damned good!! :P

I know it's a long shot but I've sent Sonny West an email to see if he himself could possibly remember where that footage is from.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:41 pm

DarrylMac wrote:It could be Little Rock, if the girl is standing on the ground, as the stage was very low, which is where this thread started! I don't think it's Hampton Roads, so perhaps Richmond on the 10th?

Darryl, I don't recall any cameras on stage in Little Rock; I remember seeing them in the crowd, but not on stage. Also, none of my photos from that concert show any visible onstage cameras. Most of my shots are of Elvis on the LH side of the stage, and not one camera is visible in any of them.

Not saying absolutely they were not there, mind you. :lol: Gotta cover the bases....

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:01 am

My brain hurts!

Seriously, nice work, all.