Post here your Elvis' pictures

Leaving Russwood Park - July 4th'56

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Leaving Russwood Park Memphis - July 4th '56

and is that Barbara Hearn sitting in the car.....the dress motif seems to indicate that it is Miss Hearn ?

and below..the Russwood fire..1960 (Baptist Memorial Hospital is on the left )

Last edited by E-Cat on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Russwood Park

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:51 pm

Looks a little too broad across the shoulders,could it be Junior Smith? not in a dress though. :wink:

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:20 pm

Dan_T wrote:Looks a little too broad across the shoulders,could it be Junior Smith? not in a dress though. :wink:

Good point thx - guess you are right - so yes it could be Junior !
The reason why I thought it could have been Barbara was because she was there and the dress reminded me of the picture below:

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Dan_T wrote:Looks a little too broad across the shoulders,could it be Junior Smith?

Junior's dresses favoured very bold, floral patterns.

Not polka dots....................

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:27 am

There is at least one shot of Barbra at the show, sitting with the Presley's. Find that and you'll confirm the passenger in the squad car. It is likely Ms. Hearn.

Also, your image may depict Elvis leaving Russwood Park after the July 4 gig -- notice the tower spotlights are off, and fans have rolled-up programs in their hands.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:your image may depict Elvis leaving Russwood Park after the July 4 gig -- notice the tower spotlights are off, and fans have rolled-up programs in their hands.

I thought about the spotlights too - but since Elvis is wearing the same clothes as he was wearing on stage...I thought it was an arrival pic. From the other hand...the concert started at 8 pm and the image was clearly taken after after (summer) sunset...so yes thx : it's leaving Russwood Park for sure !

Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:There is at least one shot of Barbra at the show, sitting with the Presley's. Find that and you'll confirm the passenger in the squad car. It is likely Ms. Hearn.

Re: Leaving Russwood Park - July 4th'56

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:05 pm

That picture could be either coming or going. The show started at 8 but he didn't get there till just before he went on, probably after ten. Those lights would be off because they were behind the stage in the outfield facing in. My guess is that was arriving and that is not Barbara.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:57 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:That picture could be either coming or going. The show started at 8 but he didn't get there till just before he went on, probably after ten. Those lights would be off because they were behind the stage in the outfield facing in. My guess is that was arriving and that is not Barbara.

Look at the Memphis Steam Laundry sign - seems Elvis was leaving : just found this info in Elvis 21 (Wertheimer) :

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Right, the car was in the rear of the stage (assuming that's what you meant by the sign) but when he left the stage he got right in the car because of the pandemonium. That shot you posted nor mine shows none of that.
There are other shots like that of him posing with other performers there in that crowd.
He also looks rather tidy considering he'd just performed in 100 degree heat if that was after.
This was from the Scimitar
At the end of the show Elvis retreated though a phalanx of police and Shore Patrolman to a squad car backed up to the rear of the stage. Fans rolled around the car like a wave and two Shore Patrolmen and a policeman were picked up and carried back like feathers but Elvis grinned as the car pushed through the crowd.

This was also about arriving, though I may have parphrased it when put it up
Elvis was brought to the park in a squad car during the first act of the show but when fans learned of his arrival out front they beseiged the car. They left and returned just before he went on.

And Ted Williams could've hit that sign

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:46 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Right, the car was in the rear of the stage (assuming that's what you meant by the sign) but when he left the stage he got right in the car because of the pandemonium. That shot you posted nor mine shows none of that.

Wertheimer stated that when he took the picture of Elvis leaving Russwood he could see the Memphis Steam Laundry sign. The picture with this Laundry sign to wich Wertheimer was referring is the first picture in this topic, see also below:

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes, I understand. he could see the sign. that's the sign. but the sign was there when he arrived too. Is that his (al's) picture? because he (Elvis) seems to have spent a lot of time hanging around outside the car contrary to the description of a crowd rushing the car.
See the shot I posted? that was taken moment from that one you posted. I have another picture also of him with one of the girls there in the crowd with the hat.
Anyway, like I said, my guess is that its arriving.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:20 pm

I think it's a matter of interpretation - as how I read Wertheimer's comments is that he remembered that sign when he took a pic when Elvis left Russwood.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:43 pm

E-Cat wrote:I think it's a matter of interpretation - as how I read Wertheimer's comments is that he remembered that sign when he took a pic when Elvis left Russwood.

It doesn't have to be. I could just ask him. Is that shot from his book? If he took that picture he should know from the sequence on the negatives whether it was before the show or after. I just don't see that scene as being the way it was described in the review of the Scimitar. The driver isn't even in it so it doesn't look like they're in any hurry to get out. Still though, it doesn't exactly look like he's walking away from the car in any of the shots.

I still think that looks more like a guy in the back seat.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 pm

John from Woodley wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There is at least one shot of Barbra at the show, sitting with the Presley's. Find that and you'll confirm the passenger in the squad car. It is likely Ms. Hearn.

I'd say it's very unlikely Ms.Hearn.
The shoulders seem somewhat broad for a woman.

Dan T said that ages ago.

You are taking your medication, John, aren't you ?

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:16 pm

ColinB wrote:You are taking your medication, John, aren't you ?

well he wouldn't be taking anyone else's medication would he, Colin :wink: :lol:

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:30 pm

ben wrote:
ColinB wrote:You are taking your medication, John, aren't you ?

well he wouldn't be taking anyone else's medication would he, Colin :wink: :lol:

Well, he could be skipping it altogether !

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 pm

When Elvis arrived he was sitting between Tom Parker and the Sheriff. Alfred was sitting in the back. Barbara Hearn and the Presley's followed in another car. When Alfred took the picture...someone was sitting in the back. Now, if it was an arrival picture...the back seat would be empty (because Alfred - who was sitting in the back - took the picture). It wasn't the Col. either, because Tom wore a hat with feather in the car. The book gives a chronological view of this event...the picture is decribed and placed in the section when E left Russwood Park. I sent him a mail to confirm details.

Referring Barbara Hearn: I agree that the shoulders seem somewhat broad for a woman.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 pm

E-Cat wrote:When Elvis arrived he was sitting between Tom Parker and the Sheriff. Alfred was sitting in the back. Barbara Hearn and the Presley's followed in another car. When Alfred took the picture...someone was sitting in the back. Now, if it was an arrival picture...the back seat would be empty (because Alfred - who was sitting in the back - took the picture). It wasn't the Col. either, because Tom wore a hat with feather in the car. The book gives a chronological view of this event...the picture is decribed and placed in the section when E left Russwood Park. I sent him a mail to confirm details.

Referring Barbara Hearn: I agree that the shoulders seem somewhat broad for a woman.

That all makes sense, but if you had all that, why then did you ask initially if it was "leaving"?

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
E-Cat wrote:When Elvis arrived he was sitting between Tom Parker and the Sheriff. Alfred was sitting in the back. Barbara Hearn and the Presley's followed in another car. When Alfred took the picture...someone was sitting in the back. Now, if it was an arrival picture...the back seat would be empty (because Alfred - who was sitting in the back - took the picture). It wasn't the Col. either, because Tom wore a hat with feather in the car. The book gives a chronological view of this event...the picture is decribed and placed in the section when E left Russwood Park. I sent him a mail to confirm details.

That all makes sense, but if you had all that, why then did you ask initially if it was "leaving"?

I found out later..the problem with the deluxe edition is that it is too heavy for normal reading..(it is HUGE, very heavy and stored in a mega box) so not something you read often. However after posting...when I was looking for more info - I first read the Press Scimitar from July 5th which did not provide the answer I was looking for...so I consulted some other books - including Alfred's edition..and found a cropped picture of the image I posted (yes cropped !)..however the info was interesting.. btw: the comments about who was sitting where in the car...is something I read just minutes ago...I was too focussed reading the booksection when Elvis left Russwood instead of exploring the arrival section into detail...

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:56 pm

Good, now that that's solved go figure out where that color photo is from I posted in the "Tampa, Ft Worth?" thread that everyone's reading but passing on.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:12 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Good, now that that's solved go figure out ....

smt189

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:14 pm

E-Cat wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Good, now that that's solved go figure out ....

smt189

Brian beat you to it. :P

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:09 pm

I always seem to find so many never seen pics here.

LOVE IT
:D :D