Post here your Elvis' pictures

Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:50 am

Can any of you photo experts please
date these 2 photo's for me . Someone
gave these to me years ago and I have no idea where they are from. Thankx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:33 am

Mikem wrote:Can any of you photo experts please
date these 2 photo's for me . Someone
gave these to me years ago and I have no idea where they are from. Thankx


This is the info for the top pic, we had a thread on this pic about a month ago, courtesy of Brian, the Doc and others.

The headline said!
Goodfellows Helped Elvis - So He Helps Goodfellows
A Santa Without Whiskers - That's what Elvis Presley turned out to be. He bought a big bundle of Christmas happiness for 111 needy Memphis and Shelby County youngsters when he presented Press-Scimitar Goodfellows with $1.000. All aglow over the big gift, was Jesse Anderson, one of the most active Goodfellows, who is receiving it.

I've had a lot of changes in my private life these past months but come Tuesday and I will be off work for almost three weeks. I'll see if I can put the entire story on my website under Flashback.

Ahhh, almost forgot the date. December 16, 1957. Only a month away Doc. Well done.
Last edited by Joe Car on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:37 am

Stunning pics btw! Never seen the bottom one before, but I'll take a stab, L.A., 1957.

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:36 am

The second is new to my eyes. He's exiting a police car and is headed backstage -- but to where? A Presley gig? To see someone else perform? My instincts indicate the latter.

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The second is new to my eyes. He's exiting a police car and is headed backstage -- but to where? A Presley gig? To see someone else perform? My instincts indicate the latter.


He looks like a million bucks doesn't he!

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 pm

The lower picture:

Elvis Presley arrives at WKNO in October 20, 1957 for the Safety Hit Parade, a Channel 10 program that starred Presley.

Mississippi

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Mississippi wrote:The lower picture:

Elvis Presley arrives at WKNO in October 20, 1957 for the Safety Hit Parade, a Channel 10 program that starred Presley.


Great detective work, Mississippi !

Assuming you are right of course !

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:42 pm

Was that not Sept 20th - 1957

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:52 pm

LEE COTTON (Day By Day, page 140)

Mid-Sep (1957): Still attempting to duck the bad publicity, Elvis took off for Las Vegas. Here he dated Kitty Dolan, a Vegas singer. He took her to see the nightclub show of Sammy Davis, Jr. In all, Elvis was gone from Memphis for about ten days.

For that reason I think, Oktober 20, 1957 is the right date.


Missisippi

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:14 pm

And there was me thinking that this thread was a request for advice of a romantic nature.....

:lol:

Jules

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Mississippi wrote:LEE COTTON (Day By Day, page 140)
Mid-Sep (1957): Still attempting to duck the bad publicity, Elvis took off for Las Vegas. Here he dated Kitty Dolan, a Vegas singer. He took her to see the nightclub show of Sammy Davis, Jr. In all, Elvis was gone from Memphis for about ten days.
For that reason I think, Oktober 20, 1957 is the right date.


Not of vital importance but according to EJ's : Day by Day, Lee Cotton is wrong : Elvis was not gone for 10 days
Sept 20: Elvis appears on WKNO-TV in Memphis
Sept 26: Elvis spend evening at the fairgrounds
Sept 27: Elvis drives to Tupelo

But more important, what happened to the footage ?

Re: Help with date

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:14 pm

familyjules wrote:And there was me thinking that this thread was a request for advice of a romantic nature.....


Why Jules, you sentimental old fool........................

Re: Help with date

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:36 am

E-Cat wrote:Not of vital importance but according to EJ's : Day by Day, Lee Cotton is wrong : Elvis was not gone for 10 days
Sept 20: Elvis appears on WKNO-TV in Memphis
Sept 26: Elvis spend evening at the fairgrounds
Sept 27: Elvis drives to Tupelo

But more important, what happened to the footage ?

There may have never been a kinescope copy made -- the local statioon might have just broadcast the images live, and that's it.

The date for the guest appearance at WKNO-TV's "Safety Hit Parade" program, as verified by E-Cat, is September 20, 1957, then.

Here's another, credited to Barney Sellers of the Memphis Commercial Appeal newspaper:

Image

Golden-haired Gail McEwen (foreground), 10-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L.Q. McEwen of 3719 Deerwood Cove, was one of the youngsters on hand at WKNO in October, 1957 [sic] to get the famous Elvis Presley autograph. Gail's brother, 13-year-old Gary, gave a hip-swinging impersonation of Elvis on the Safety Hit Parade, a Channel 10 program that starred Presley.

Note -> Sellers should be credited with the other September 20 image as well.

Re: Help with date

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:16 am

Fantastic photos

Re: Help with date

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 am

Many thanks, Doc.

Mississippi

Re: Help with date

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:17 am

E-Cat,

many thanks, too.

Mississippi

Re: Help with date

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:40 am

Mississippi wrote:E-Cat,
many thanks, too.
Mississippi


no - we should all thank you for your fine detective work !!!!
....and John for posting an alternate from this date.

Folks like you are a true asset to this forum !!

Re: Help with date

Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:09 am

Intended for inclusion in the sequel to "The Atomic Powered Singer" this is what I wrote back in 1994.

At 7:30 p.m., on September 20, Elvis talked safety on TV along with students from Central, East Humes, Treadwell, White Station, South Station, Messick and Kingsbury schools. Driver education was the subject. Elvis got in some plugs for traffic safety on WKNO's television program Safety Hit Parade. But when he wasn't before the cameras, the rock and roller's dialogue was a little different. For three minutes on Channel 10, Elvis warned youngsters that, although the automobile was "the greatest invention known to man," it can take away your life mighty fast. "Take it easier," he advised, "and live longer." But in the patrol room, while Elvis was waiting to appear, a student asked Police Capt. Robert Glisson what to do if the brakes of a car failed. Glisson answered, "Put the car in reverse" and Elvis cracked, "Jump out." Capt. Glisson showed with a model car the proper way to make a left turn. Elvis' comment: "On a motorcycle, you just jump the curb." Highway 51 was mentioned. Elvis laughed: "Highway 51, the Presley drag-strip." Toward the end of the program Capt. Glisson complimented Elvis on his courtesy. "I believe in being courteous and polite," said Elvis. Then, with a laugh: "And now if you'll elect me next congressman..." Police had expected a big crowd of autograph seekers but only a handful showed up. One fan asked Elvis: Where's Anita Wood, Elvis?" "I don't know," Elvis said with a grin. "I can't keep up with her. Or we can't keep up with each other. I don't know which."


And a pic to go along with the text:
Image

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Re: Help with date

Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14 am

cool story ...jump out..classic !!

Re: Help with date

Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:15 am

E-Cat wrote:
Mississippi wrote:E-Cat,
many thanks, too.
Mississippi


no - we should all thank you for your fine detective work !!!!

Indeed -- yes, thank you Mississippi!

Re: Help with date

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:57 am

Hi Brian,

I'm waiting for the book: THE ATOMIC POWERED SINGER 1957, author: Brian Peterson.

Mississippi

Re: Help with date

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:59 am

Mississippi wrote:Hi Brian,

I'm waiting for the book: THE ATOMIC POWERED SINGER 1957, author: Brian Peterson.


I think you missed it, it came out in 1957.....................

Re: Help with date

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 pm

Mississippi wrote:Hi Brian,

I'm waiting for the book: THE ATOMIC POWERED SINGER 1957, author: Brian Peterson.

Mississippi

No, the sequel should be called GREATER THAN EVER - 1957, by Brian Petersen.

Re: Help with date

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:51 pm

Thank you very much for the pictures and for the story, i can't wait for Elvis '57 book, Brian ( i haven't yet "Atomic...", but maibe one day i'll be lucky to find it...)
Here's some alternates from the same dates:
Image Image
Image

TCB

Re: Help with date

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 pm

hilton22000 wrote:Thank you very much for the pictures and for the story, i can't wait for Elvis '57 book, Brian ( i haven't yet "Atomic...", but maibe one day i'll be lucky to find it...)

Great pics!

If you PM Brian -- bripet56 -- he may be able to help you "find" a copy of THE ATOMIC POWERED SINGER.