Elvis Leaving Graceland Candid.

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvis presley scrapbook
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: Elvis Leaving Graceland Candid.

Post by elvis presley scrapbook »

03/08/21: Account deactivated at the request of the member.

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Why would he have stopped smoking? Because of health issues, his voice? Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any photos of EP smoking in '77, but the March '76 car wreck photos are well-known, and I'm pretty certain there are others from later that year... think I have one from October or November, I'll see if I can find it... not expecting any $1000 reward! :wink:

Topic author
bassienl
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by bassienl »

Regarding the 76vegascigar pic. The building behind the car certainly states it name as 'International Hotel'. But looking at Elvis' face I think it might be a 1976 pic after all. Could it be in another place, maybe ? Looking at the shape of the building, I can't make the Las Vegas International/Hilton from it. Maybe an international Hotel somewhere near an airport on tour in 1976 ?

Just an option.... ?

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Eivind wrote:The black and white photo was taken on the 14th,1975, appearing in the local paper the next day. Elvis had just come out of isolating himself on the second floor, after the stay at Babtist.

E
Here are a few others from the 8th and 14th;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/sept75.html

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Why would he have stopped smoking? Because of health issues, his voice? Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any photos of EP smoking in '77, but the March '76 car wreck photos are well-known, and I'm pretty certain there are others from later that year... think I have one from October or November, I'll see if I can find it... not expecting any $1000 reward! :wink:
I get the impression he was never a 'serious' smoker.

Cigar smokers don't inhale, do they ?

And the occasional cigarette was more for 'show' than any craving he had for them.

Just as well, because with his addictive traits, he'd have been a 'several packs-a-day' man if he'd gotten at all serious !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Scott

Post by Scott »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Why would he have stopped smoking? Because of health issues
Yes, health.

it was around this time that he wrote his "manifest" to get healthy ... but I can't find it. I know I've seen it on the Net somewhere. He writes of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "giving up my little cigars", or words to that effect.

Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Vissie »

And the occasional cigarette was more for 'show' than any craving he had for them.
Schilling says that on his first trip to visit him at Graceland, Elvis was smoking cigarettes. "He had a great way of holding the cigarette in his teeth..."

I think Elvis smoked cigarettes privately (this is just my opinion) and traded off between them and his cigarellos.

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Yeah, but those "little cigars" /Hav-A-Tampas (!) were the least of his problems, and that manifest he wrote... well, he might have meant it at the time, but it didn't last long...

I agree totally with you, Colin, I don't think he was a serious smoker, he seldom smoked cigarettes... and no, you don't inhale cigars (you can, of course, but I wouldn't recommend it!)... Didn't he smoke a pipe too, from time to time? Also a nice way of enjoying your tobacco. BTW, I've smoked Hav-A-Tampas, but they're not my favourites... Romeo y Julieta, on the other hand... now that is a cigar!