Post here your Elvis' pictures

Maywood Beach - Spring '53

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 am

My Memories of Humes and Elvis - by Virginia Eddleman-Blackford (Edited)

I had study hall with Elvis Presley (the flirt). He would blow kisses across the room at me. Once I thumbed my nose at him and said some smart remark back.
Everyone knows how Elvis loved "GOSPEL MUSIC." At Ellis Auditorium, the Statesmen Quartet felt sorry for him because he couldn’t afford a ticket and let him in the back door. My brother Jerry, my sister Darlene and I were called "The Eddleman Trio". We started singing acappella at ages 7, 8 and 11. After Elvis became famous, it occurred to me that "we" were singing on the stage while Elvis was sneaking in the back door. He later sang on the same stage at benefit concerts.

I lived in Lauderdale Courts during part of high school. Starting at 16, I worked Thursday evenings and Saturdays at Kresge’s on Main Street. I will always remember my salary - $7.10 a week - which went for school supplies, etc.

I ran around with Carolyn Poole and Rosemary Barracco.

We all went to Senior Day at Maywood and I got a really deep sunburn. Elvis had rubbed suntan lotion on my back, but it didn’t work. I didn’t get to go to my own graduation because I had to sit on pillows for 4 days. Elvis asked me to go out, but I had to say no because of my sunburn. Otherwise, I would have said yes.

I hope ya’ll have enjoyed some of my stories and I want to say a special " HELLO" to Carole Kimbrell and Georgia Avgeris, from our Lauderdale Court days. Thanks to Rose and everyone else who took the time to put our memories together. As Elvis would say, "Thank you, thank you very much."

Below the picture with Rosemary Barracco (Carvalho) at Maywood Beach - summer 1953

note: Maywood Beach is located south of Memphis (I78 to Tupelo) - just below the stateline

Last edited by E-Cat on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rare candid: Maywood Beach - summer '53

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:58 am

I have always loved this photo - we all had senior day trips like this. Thanks for posting a larger image.

This is Edelman's senior class photo -- she of the sunburn and lost date:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 am

One of my favourite photos of Elvis 8)

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:23 am

E-Cat wrote:Below the picture with Rosemary Barracco (Carvalho) at Maywood Beach - summer 1953[/b]

E-Cat, the photo cannot be from summer of 1953, as the Humes High class graduated at Ellis Auditorium on Wednesday, June 3.

It's likely the outing occurred between May 25-29, the last full week of school. In any case, Senior Day at Maywood happened in the late spring of 1953.

Within weeks, Elvis would walk into SUN Studios on 706 Union, meet Marion Keisker, cut a two-sided personal acetate and begin his amazing journey to super-stardom.

Rare candid: Maywood Beach - Spring '53

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:29 am

I meant the same - so I adjusted the header...thx
drjohncarpenter wrote:I have always loved this photo - Thanks for posting a larger image
...a smaller version can be seen in MRS V1 - but without further info and with incorrect date (dated '54)

Re: Maywood Beach - Spring '53

Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:08 am

Cool! Here is a little more proof that picnic came first -- likely very close to June 3:

Juanita Richardson-Mitchell

Before graduation we had a class picnic at Maywood. It was overcast and we went swimming and spent the entire day outdoors having a wonderful time. This was another one of those "lifetime learning experiences"- I learned that you can get seriously sunburned on a cloudy day! By the time graduation arrived, I had huge blisters, many the size of silver dollars or larger, all over my shoulders and back. The graduation gown was horribly heavy and hot - and I was really miserable. The moment the ceremony was over, I took my aching body home!

From the Humes High Class of 1953 site.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 am

yes, right Doc ! ..as you can see (..and see also my Ed Leek comments at your EJ topic) all those people have a story (and perhaps rare pictures) to share...hope they are all contacted for the SUN book !!

Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks for your post in the first place -- very inspiring, as you can tell.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:58 pm

Great story, and the photo's been a favorite of mine since the first time I saw it. He all ready looked like the star he would soon become.

Eivind

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Is that how Elvis Dressed on an average day at school? My God how cool can a 17-18yr old punk kid be? You are born with style.....its not created at some a&r office.

Greg

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:29 am

gwsells wrote:Is that how Elvis Dressed on an average day at school? My God how cool can a 17-18yr old punk kid be? You are born with style.....its not created at some a&r office.

Greg

Agree 110%!

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 am

Great Stuff!!!!!!!! Thank you