Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis at Forrest Hill visiting Gladys grave - 1958

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 pm

It seems the picture was taken shortly after Gladys died. The caption says:
Elvis and Carroll Junior beside Aunt Glady's grave

source: Elvis's Man Friday / Gene Smith

And below a pic of Patsy Presley visiting Gladys grave while Elvis was in Germany (March 9 1959)

note that the mausoleum (see below) does not belong to the grave:

Last edited by E-Cat on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis at Gladys grave - another pic

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Wow, those are great images, E-Cat. Thanks very much for posting those. Elvis certainly does seem to be much more reserved in this photo.

Re: Elvis at Gladys grave - another pic

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:12 pm

thanks so much for such unique pictures

Re: Elvis at Forrest Hill visiting Gladys grave - 1958

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:54 pm

I believe the one with Elvis was taken shortly after he returned from the Army. I know I've seen it before and have some text to the photo but can't seem to find it right now.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:57 pm

looks like the day of the Press-conference in Vernon's Office, the hair he had that period is the best style i have seen, I'd love to have hair like that :lol:

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:59 pm

bripet56 wrote:I believe the one with Elvis was taken shortly after he returned from the Army.

Yes, I'd place this in April 1960, and his mom's birthday. He seems pretty reserved -- no surprise.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:I believe the one with Elvis was taken shortly after he returned from the Army.

Yes, I'd place this in April 1960, and his mom's birthday. He seems pretty reserved -- no surprise.

If you look at the picture closely, you will see at least 2 boys without a shirt, which confirms that it was a very hot day...not a typical April day in Memphis. In fact April was only just above avg and end April / May were below avg, too cold for the season and certainly too cold for a kid not to wear a shirt (1960 was one of the coldest years in Memphis history), so no - it's unlikely that the picture was taken in April 1960 or shortly after Elvis returned. Also, I would imagine that if the pic was from 1960, it would show at least the marker and / or stone angels (which Elvis saw for the first time after he returned from the Army), which makes it more plausible that the pic was taken Aug 58.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:55 am

What is confusing is how long Elvis' hair is.

Looking at its length and dark color, it is no match for August or September 1958. He was out of the country until March 1960.

If anything, his hair looks as it did when he was filming "King Creole" earlier in 1958. Could this be from the spring of 1958? And, if so, was there any Presley or Smith family member lost at that time Elvis would have been visiting? Note the many flowers around the area, it is clear a ceremony had been held.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 am

I think that's a problem created by the contrast of the pic Doc.

The quiff of Elvis' hair looks, i dunno the best word, puffy? fluffy? even quiffy? like it did when he returned home in 60.
I thought about that and hadn't before, how much he must have sat in the office giving that interview when all he'd been waiting to do all that time was just to go talk to his mother again, even if this pic wasn't from then.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 am

Steve_M wrote:I think that's a problem created by the contrast of the pic Doc.

Maybe, but E-Cat is correct that it appears to be a warm day. Was spring in Memphis 1958 a bit better than spring in 1960? Just look at his appearance in early 1958 -- the hair is a match.

Methinks this is a visit for someone else who passed away, another member of the Smith or Presley family.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:E-Cat is correct that it appears to be a warm day. Was spring in Memphis 1958 a bit better than spring in 1960?
April' 58 was even below avg ...so unlikely from this period either...

drjohncarpenter wrote:Methinks this is a visit for someone else who passed away, another member of the Smith or Presley family.
I do not expect Gene to make such a mistake in his book. Also, the spot looks like Gladys former grave at FHC.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:17 am

I think it could be from 8-58 his hair could get pretty long in the Army. My second guess would be 3-60.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:34 am

Mike Eder wrote:I think it could be from 8-58 his hair could get pretty long in the Army.

Nope. Take a peek of some images of Elvis in August 1958. There are plenty.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:36 am

Gladys Smith Presley┬┤s funeral.
Photo: Elvis Presley Memorial Edition magazine, 1977

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 am

Here's a small example of what Elvis' hair looked like in Jan-Feb 1958:

Here's a portion of that image again:

Thoughts?

Where is bripet56 when you need him?

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:27 am

Doc, I concur.

Was Elvis not dressed in white or light colored slacks for his mothers funeral?

They are close to the parking lot, but that's a red herring as he could be reading tributes from many that came that couldn't be placed near the grave if it was for his mother, but the lecturn in the backgound says the service took place very close by.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:52 am

Steve_M wrote:Doc, I concur.

Was Elvis not dressed in white or light colored slacks for his mothers funeral?

I have not seen photos from that awful day, but the image in discussion reflects a different visit in any case.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:02 am

I am absolutely blown away by that fist pic!

Thanks!

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 pm

It must have been March 1960 then. The pictures from the Sinatra show in color show him looking just like that. It seems as if his hair is dyed, and Junior was dead by 1961. Plus Elvis' hair was shorter the year after Gi Blues.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:22 pm

Cool pic Fool !

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:27 pm

With his dad - reverse image.....................

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's a small example of what Elvis' hair looked like in Jan-Feb 1958:

Here's a portion of that image again:

Thoughts?

And below from Aug 58:

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:30 pm

Did you see that ?

I predicted that pic would be a reverse image before it was posted !

I surprise myself sometimes........................

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:33 pm

ColinB wrote:Did you see that ?

I predicted that pic would be a reverse image before it was posted !

I surprise myself sometimes........................

lol :D -

but your right, the pic is reversed.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:57 pm

Here's the corrected image from August 14, 1958:

Anyone who has lost a loved one knows exactly how they were feeling.

As for the image in question, Elvis' hair sure looks different to the August 14 snap, doesn't it?