Post here your Elvis' pictures

50s where and when

Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:26 pm

Happy New Year guys and gals!!

Anybody know where these two shots belong? It's clearly from two different shows at the same venue and at the same date. Since Elvis has already cut off a bit of the leather cover on his guitar the photos must be from after August 1955.

Judging from the cactus in the photos I thought they might be from Arizona but the only shows Elvis did in Az. were one show each in Tucson and Denver in June 56. So they're out of question.

Also, I think the photos are much earlier. Elvis wears the white shoes he wore around August-October 1955. From November through the spring of 56 we seldom see Elvis wear white shoes.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Re: 50s where and when

Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Brian, not sure as to why the cactus is there, but it is a cardboard cactus that can be placed anywhere which is why it's one side of the stage then the other, i thouhgt at first it was part of the drapes.

That led me to thinking the drapes were bought in and used as the backdrop thus meaning then that the venue might not be the same place.

Then there's the title, "Elvis Presley Show" which dates it after the package tours.

Could the cactus be a sponsor?????

Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Steve_M wrote:Brian, not sure as to why the cactus is there, but it is a cardboard cactus that can be placed anywhere which is why it's one side of the stage then the other, i thouhgt at first it was part of the drapes.

Surely there are two cacti, one each side of the band.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:00 pm

Thanks for your inputs guys.
I'm going with Colin. There surely is a cactus on each side of the band and even the hayballs are lying in the exact same positions. Even the band are wearing the exact same clothing. Seems like it was only Elvis who changed his clothes but we see that in later shows as well.

I also thought about the "Elvis Presley Show" which would indicate that it would be a show which headlined Elvis and that would rule out the two week tour on the East-Coast during mid-September as well as October 16 and 19-23.

My guess is still, that the photos are from the same date but two different shows.

SIncerely
Brian

Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:06 pm

I see you guys now, yes i agree.

Brian, not necessarily the same date - could be a two night gig in the same place ??

Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:37 pm

Yeah Steve, but back then a two-night gig headlining Elvis was practically non-existing

Sincerely
Brian

Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Precisely why i mentioned it Brian - it should be easy enough to track down the occasions and either eliminate them or make them a possibility for the photos.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Yeah Steve, the following are the gigs where he played more than one show from which we have no pics:

Sept 5, 55 - Forrest City, Ar.
Oct 11, 55 - Abilene, Tx.
Oct 26, 55 - Prichard, Al.
Nov 14, 55 - Forrest City, Ar.
Nov 15, 55 - Sheffield, Al.
Nov 16, 55 - Camden, Ar.

Jan 1, 56 - St Louis, Mo
Jan 3, 56 - Booneville, Ms.

These are the most likely gigs where the photos could be from before we go into February of 1956 where Elvis played between 2 and 4 gigs almost every day.

Sincerely
Brian

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Darn it Brian, you were supposed to list Austin Tx. as a potential.
Yeah, i know we can't invent facts to make things fit :lol:

Okay, a clue for us possibly, or maybe it's a red hering:

The cactus, it's possibly the symbol of the yearbook, the "Cactus Yearbook" for the University of Texas in Austin.(I don't know how long that's been going though).
Elvis played in Austin on Jan 18th 56 (but that was the Coliseum), but thanks to the sole known photo I've ever seen of Elvis on tour for the month of Jan and it happened to be from the 18th! (the Atomic Powered Singer) we can eliminate that from by the clothes alone.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:53 pm

Also note the bales of hay on stage. Both hay and cactus are heavily associated with Texas. Also if you look in the book "Rockin' accross TX" (page 61), you will see a cactus symbol on stage at Seymour Highschool (Wichita Falls), which emphasizes the close connection. Hay also plays an important economic role in Abeline, so Oct 11 (Abilene TX) could be right....Also..if you look at the angle from which the picture is taken, it seems like a 2 floor venue....
Let me check with a girl whose mother used to attend many Texas concerts in this region ..perhaps she can confirm..

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:11 am

Thanks E-Cat for pointing out the Seymour pic in "Rockin Across Texas" as I had completely forgotten about that one.
If I remember correctly the Seymour-cactus points the opposite way, doesn't it?? I don't have the book at hand as I'm painting walls and ceiling so everything is packed away.

Maybe we need to look for a Seymour show during the latter part of 1955 or maybe January 1956. Although it would be very hard to squeeze a Texas show in during January ยด56.

I agree E-Cat, it does look like a two-floor venue.

Sincerely
Brian

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:20 am

Don't know the exact dates but I would wager a pretty penny that these are from 1956 based on Elvis's hairstyle and the quality of his attire. (Not to mention the elaborate stage setup, which I have seen in other snaps from this era).

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:54 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Don't know the exact dates but I would wager a pretty penny that these are from 1956
In fact, the picture was originally dated early '56...(Elvis Live On Tour 1954- 1977 / King On the Road) but I think Brian has a valid point to reconsider this information...in fact all info as published should be double ckecked.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:16 am

bripet56 wrote:Anybody know where these two shots belong?

Given the cacti, these must likely be from Texas.

Besides the leather on Elvis' guitar, we also see the calf skin cover on DJ's bass drum -- when did Fontana get that? Was it not first used in late 1955 - early 1956?

When did Elvis first fully headline a tour? Although he played Texas January 15-20, I would wager "the Elvis Presley Show" performances across Texas, April 9 - 21, are your best bet.

-> The second image, taken from stage right, shows Elvis moving much as he did during Scotty's "Heartbreak Hotel" guitar solo on the Dorsey Brothers Stage Show appareances in March 1956.

-> Notice Scotty, Bill and DJ are wearing shirts and ties -- it couldn't have been terribly cold outside.

The shot from stage right was published in full on page 39 of The King on the Road: Elvis Live On Tour 1954 To 1977 (St. Martin's Press, New York, 1996). There is no date attributed to the image, but it is placed in the April-May 1956 sequence of the book.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Doc, good point with Scotty's calf skin drum. Unfortunately he got it sometime between August 25 and September 2, 1955 so that does not help any.

I thought of the April 56 tour but we don't see Elvis one single time in white shoes during that tour. Of course this could be the one day he did wear white shoes but I doubt it. However, I'll keep an open mind as always.

Well Doc, we see Scotty, Bill and DJ wearing shirt and tie during the winter of 55 as well, and since most of the shows were indoor it doesn't matter much if it was cold outside or not.

Only solution is we need more pics from the latter part of 55 and early 56.

Sincerely
Brian

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Anybody know where these two shots belong?

Given the cacti, these must likely be from Texas.

Cactus doesn't grow in any other state ?

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:26 pm

I've seen the picture somewhere (one of them anyway) but I can't for the life of me remeber where. Maybe in Scotty's book. I'll look tonight.

The calf skin was on the set almost from the beginning. DJ says he got it with the set from Herb Bronstein in 54 (I think it was 55 though). Sid said he sold DJ the calfskin head for the set but DJ denies it. I don't know who to believe but officially I have to go with DJ since Herb coroborates it (though his story is full of holes). Unfortunately the instruments can't really help to narrow it down. Note though that Bill's bass is not amplified. If I had to guess I wouls say 56

Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:15 pm

bripet56 wrote:I thought of the April 56 tour but we don't see Elvis one single time in white shoes during that tour. Of course this could be the one day he did wear white shoes but I doubt it. However, I'll keep an open mind as always ... Only solution is we need more pics from the latter part of 55 and early 56.

April 1956 also fits my observation of Elvis moving to Scotty's "Heartbreak Hotel" solo in exactly the same fashion as seen on the Dorsey shows in March, and the Berle appearance in April.

Further, it seems very unlikely that a huge "ELVIS PRESLEY SHOW" sign would be up behind them in late 1955. Elvis did not explode as a major headliner until March 1956 and beyond.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:22 am

bripet56 wrote:Yeah Steve, the following are the gigs where he played more than one show from which we have no pics:

Sept 5, 55 - Forrest City, Ar.
Oct 11, 55 - Abilene, Tx.
Oct 26, 55 - Prichard, Al.
Nov 14, 55 - Forrest City, Ar.
Nov 15, 55 - Sheffield, Al.
Nov 16, 55 - Camden, Ar.

Jan 1, 56 - St Louis, Mo
Jan 3, 56 - Booneville, Ms.

These are the most likely gigs where the photos could be from before we go into February of 1956 where Elvis played between 2 and 4 gigs almost every day.

When looking at the enlarged picture below, he does not seem to have that curly hair he had in Sept and Oct'55 , so I think we should focus on other dates.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:April 1956 also fits my observation of Elvis moving to Scotty's "Heartbreak Hotel" solo in exactly the same fashion as seen on the Dorsey shows in March, and the Berle appearance in April.

Blue Suede Shoes at least also

phpBB [video]

Got to love the string breaking, did it all the time

Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:43 am

Yeah, its in Scottys book but no information in the caption. This one's cropped though, the book shows a bit more of the front of the stage.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:58 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Yeah, its in Scottys book but no information in the caption.

..but placed in the end '55 chapter...or where the pics placed at random.....

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:49 am

E-Cat wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Yeah, its in Scottys book but no information in the caption.

..but placed in the end '55 chapter...or where the pics placed at random.....

They are in no steadfast chronological order

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:53 am

Brian, would you say the shirt in the enlarged pic is the "shimmering" one we see in April for example in the in the San Diego pics?

Hard to say it is that shirt, but the light cast off of it would suggest it could be?

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:49 pm

Yeah Doc, I know what you mean with the Heartbreak Hotel movements but this pic has a similar (although not exact) movement and it's from Sep 55.

Steve, it's hard to tell which shirt he's wearing in the pic. I don't think it's the shimmering one from April, looks more like an ordinary white one, perhaps with a tie.

The whole outfit looks very much like the one he wore in Swifton in December 55. Exept for the shoes.

I wouldn't mind if it was from April 56 as we desperately need more pics from January-April 56.

Sincerely
Brian