Post here your Elvis' pictures

Opal Walker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:08 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kensflikrp ... 425789175/
kwphoto ·
Mom's Elvis Photos

These photographs of Elvis were taken by my mom Opal Walker, September 9 1954 in Memphis Tn.
He was playing at the grand opening of the Lamar-Airways Shopping Center on the back of a flatbed trailer. He posed for these three photos after the show. This was just months before anyone really knew who he was.

Photos are from 09 Sep 1954.

Re: Opal Walker

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:17 pm

Look at those cats 8)
Great photos man, thanks a lot

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:30 pm

Absolutely Stunning. Thank you very much for showing them.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:52 pm

KOOL !!! :D

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:04 pm

thx for sharing -I have always found these pictures fascinating!

Memphis wrote:Photos are from 09 Sep 1954.

EJ's Day by Day (p380) dates the picture as Sept 8th 1954, must have been a mistake.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Memphis wrote:FROM:
kwphoto ·
Mom's Elvis Photos

These photographs of Elvis were taken by my mom Opal Walker, September 9 1954 in Memphis Tn.
He was playing at the grand opening of the Lamar-Airways Shopping Center on the back of a flatbed trailer. He posed for these three photos after the show. This was just months before anyone really knew who he was.

These are pretty well known photos. Opal's your mom? Did she ever get her Ronnie McDowall art print?

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:26 pm

Great candids, cool outfit , those shoes! :wink:
sincerely
Lior

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:36 pm

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:59 pm

What a Brilliant Story .. Thanks for posting The Fool.
Wonderful Memories for your Mum Memphis.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:28 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
Memphis wrote:FROM:
kwphoto ·
Mom's Elvis Photos

These are pretty well known photos. Opal's your mom? Did she ever get her Ronnie McDowall art print?

Right you are, these are pretty well known. Opal is not my mom. She's kwphoto's mom (link after the word from at the top. ) I didn't want to mislead anyone into thinking they were in anyway connected to me. I was merely putting up the pictures with Opal Walker's name, and the source where I found them. I thought other's would be interested in who took the photos and the story behind them.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:33 am

Little Darlin wrote:What a Brilliant Story .. Thanks for posting The Fool.
Wonderful Memories for your Mum Memphis.

That is a great story!, Thank you TheFool.

Not my Mum Lil Darlin, but I agree with you on what wonderful memories to have been around at that time, in that location. History in the making.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:54 am

GREAT topic, wonderful article (The fool strikes again!) and phenomenal photos. The first one may be a bit more uncropped than before. JAT published at least one in his Sessions book. Guralnick used the close-up portrait to begin an early chapter of Last Train To Memphis.

It's too bad she didn't take any of the actual performance.

IIRC, the date is correct as Thursday night, September 9, 1954.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:GREAT topic, wonderful article (The fool strikes again!) and phenomenal photos.
The first one may be a bit more uncropped than before.... It's too bad she didn't take any of the actual performance.

Well, yeah.

She must have had a good camera.

They don't look like normal 'snaps' from 1954 !

And yes, what a scoop if she'd taken photos of this quality of the performance !

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:51 pm

It wasn't a Brownie I take it. Great shots. They get used quite a lot. I know she used to sell them as a set on eBay but it would be nice if she got something for all the circulation they've had.
I had corresponeded with her a few years ago when I used one of the shots on a page on the site.
The MRS site used a colorized version of one of the shots against a backdrop of SUN that looks a lot like one I took for their web logo. They did a nice job with it and almost got the color of the car right (I thought it was way off before I Scotty helped me finally ID the color).
That reminds me, I should finish the page I started last year on that show too.