Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Elvis - looking good in 77

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's his eyes.

For much of the taping, when Elvis sings, he keeps them tightly shut. Is it due to the house lights being left up for taping purposes? Is it his embarrassment over his appearance -- something he spoke about to Ed Parker en route to the first taping in Omaha? Or do they just plain hurt?

The pain is so evident, a fatigued look in his eyes is paramount, in every second of the TV broadcast. It is a window into his soul -- a soul which was in a very dark and lonely place that June.

Yes, Doc. You've got it. Elvis could tell entire stories with those eyes. His eyes look really worn and drained in EIC. Sometimes, a magnificent spark comes over them, lifting his entire being and that of the viewer, but they're clearly frayed, like the soul of their owner. Yet, as I have argued before, there's a poetic sadness to EIC. Elvis' tarnished beauty is oddly compelling and his best performances can move mountains. Most of Omaha is immensely sad -- check out the crushing loneliness conveyed by his vague, unsteady performance of "And I Love You So". But most of Rapid City is, by comparison, enervating and engaging (compare the renditions of "Hurt", for example).

Whenever Elvis closed his eyes, he seemed to retreat to a place deep inside, beyond the purview of any mortal being. The bright lights, generating heat, generating sweat, could certainly have impelled him to make this retreat more often, especially as he fought to stave off these physical afflictions, but he'd been doing it for a long time -- it's an intrinisic facet of his performance ethic. Look to the Comeback Special, for he does it there. Certainly, though, it seemed to magnify over time. Perhaps it grew geometrically with drugs and ill health, perhaps it grew simply because he was looking more and more inside for strength and answers (even as he paradoxically used chemicals as his crutch). In 1968, he could perhaps rely more on the adoring faces of fans to provide him with sustenance, but by 1977, he was seeking more and more within, and as Guralnick cogently noted, he had walled himself away from everything, but he could never wall himself away from "the approbation of the crowd" -- and so it goes . . .

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:08 am

Cryogenic wrote:But most of Rapid City is, by comparison, enervating and engaging ...

Most of the CBS-TV Special broadcast comes from June 21 (Rapid City).

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:But most of Rapid City is, by comparison, enervating and engaging ...

Most of the CBS-TV Special broadcast comes from June 21 (Rapid City).

Yes. What's your point?

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:11 am

Cryogenic wrote:Yes. What's your point?

My comments above derive from a viewing of the CBS-TV Special broadcast.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:Yes. What's your point?

My comments above derive from a viewing of the CBS-TV Special broadcast.

Yes ... and what is your point?

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:13 am

You're a smart kid, figure it out.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:You're a smart kid, figure it out.

What's with this flagrant rudeness? I thought you didn't like people figuring your posts out? Your modus operandi is to come back with a condescending retort. And now you're telling me to interpret? You just get more and more obnoxious, Doc. I am well aware that you were talking about the broadcast versions, which I mentally noted from the start -- but I clipped your post down to talk more generally about the EIC source material, which is plainly obvious from the way I broke it down by contrasting the two venues, further obvious from my citation of "And I Love You So", which any well-versed EP fan knows has never been officially broadcast, and blindingly obvious by my invocation of both versions of "Hurt", where the broadcast quite clearly, and quite expediently, includes only one version.

Excuse me, Emperor Carpenter, but where in your post is the fact you watched a broadcast version of singular importance? How does that fact alter the context of your main statements? I was under the distinct impression -- and I'm guessing any other rational reader would be, too -- that you made that comment as a preamble; the rest of your post is clearly focused on Elvis' mental and physical state, as demonstrated by his eyes, in 1977, specifically June 1977. What's so bad about me agreeing with those observations and expanding my response to encompass the EIC recording venues and concerts as a whole? Answer: NOTHING. You're just being pissy and beligerent. You've made coming here an increasingly nasty experience. I might just take your advice and leave. But rest assured ..... virtually all the respect I ever possessed for you has evaporated. You have exceeded your own standards of late. You, sir, are now the epitome of everything Elvis was not and would have hated to see. Think on that -- if you can.

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:33 pm

gwsells wrote:I would be smiling to!! :shock:

When was that one taken?

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:38 am

Cyro - keep smiling. I like reading your posts
Rick

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:20 am

A few ones...

Image Image Image Image