Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis - looking good in 77

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:47 pm

In repsonse to a post in another thread from Gswells, I thought I'd post some favourite snaps of Elvis looking happy, having fun, and sometimes even looking good in 77!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis - looking good in 77

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:49 pm

And some more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:51 pm

And finally! The first one is a favourite - could be 2 or 3 years earlier...

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:02 pm

aww cutie :smt007
love these

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:12 pm

Fantastic thanks for posting them DarrylMac :D

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:42 pm

Great work, Daryl!

I still think he looks rough. That eye op was a HUGE mistake (IMO).

But I love this one:

Aloha: The Sequel! :shock: :D

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Great photos Darryl! Thanks so much for sharing these ;)

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:37 pm

In only a few does he look well. Elvis needed to be anywhere but on a stage in 1977. But the thought behind your posting is very nice indeed -- thank you.

IIRC, this one is from 1976, maybe November 30 in Anaheim, CA ->

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:52 pm

Hi Doc,

That pic is from Charlotte on the 21st Feb. You can see the same low balcony behind him in this pic from the same show. Also, the band wore pale blue in Anaheim, whereas you can see ronnie's wearing black behind Elvis.

Glad you appreciated the sentiment behind the post. You and I agree completely - I'd have loved for Elvis to be in a strong enough financial position to take some time out, get well, and extend his Hawaii stay by at least 6 months in 1977, but as we now know, he couldn't afford not to be working, which is a travesty.

Nice to see him smiling, laughing, and enjoying himself though, through the last few months.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:32 am

In DJC's spotlighted picture, he barely looks 32, let alone 42. Amazing what a bit of weight loss, the right pose and a good camera angle can do.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:22 am

DarrylMac wrote:That pic is from Charlotte on the 21st Feb.

You are correct! And we've had good quality bits from this show for years ->

Anyway, good sentiment. In general, probably the only happy feeling Elvis had in 1977 -- save the March Hawaiian vacation -- was when he was on stage.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:19 am

great photos. There are many good shots from '77.
keep 'em coming
Rick

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:45 am

Now this is funny !! You remember Doc when you chastised me for merely mentoning that this photo was on the Tornado From Vegas back cover from Dec '76 ? How come you knew this photo was Feb '77 then but not now ??????

drjohncarpenter wrote:In only a few does he look well. Elvis needed to be anywhere but on a stage in 1977. But the thought behind your posting is very nice indeed -- thank you.

IIRC, this one is from 1976, maybe November 30 in Anaheim, CA ->

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:56 am

DarrylMac- Thank you so much for starting this thread! It seems we get so caught up in the negative and forget the positive. It is sooooo refreshing to see pics. of Elvis with a smile on his face and not slumped over in the back seat of a car, which we see enough of and to often.

Maby we will start a new trend of posting.

Greg

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:03 am

I would be smiling to!! :shock:

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:22 am

gwsells wrote:I would be smiling to!! :shock:

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

gwsells wrote:DarrylMac- Thank you so much for starting this thread! It seems we get so caught up in the negative and forget the positive. It is sooooo refreshing to see pics. of Elvis with a smile on his face and not slumped over in the back seat of a car, which we see enough of and to often.

Maby we will start a new trend of posting.

Greg, your enthusiasm is admirable, but in response to your musings -- on this board, don't count on it.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:58 am

Thanks Darryl some great pics
Can you tell the date of the first pic in your second post?

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks Darryl some great pics
Can you tell the date of the first pic in your second post?

I have it as Kalamazoo on April 26th 77, 8.30pm.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Kris P

Where is this the last photo from, looks a bit 'energetic' for 1977 ?

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:01 pm

Ray wrote:Kris P

Where is this the last photo from, looks a bit 'energetic' for 1977 ?

Now don't start that again !! ;-)

Clearly Tahoe '74 eh Kris !!! :lol:

GREAT thread - I love to see Elvis having fun in 1977 :smt023

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:04 pm

Ray,

The last photo of Kris's is from the second Chicago show on May 2nd. It was an excellent show, perhaps in part due to the fact the producers for Elvis In Concert were in the audience, and also perhaps in part to the fact that the show the day before was only average.

There's video footage on Youtube from this show of Elvis doing this move during Polk Salad, and also doing a backward roll at the end of Hurt!

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:54 pm

gwsells wrote:I would be smiling to!! :shock:

And then he started singing his favourite gospel song: She touched me

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:47 am

DarrylMac wrote:I thought I'd post some favourite snaps of Elvis looking happy, having fun, and sometimes even looking good in 77!

He looks pretty good in this photo from Charlotte, February 20th. :D

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:12 am

Ironically, late last night I was reviewing my copies of the October 1977 and May 1978 broadcasts of Elvis In Concert -- don't ask why -- and was reminded of the #1 thing which showed how ill he was in 1977.

It's not the bad haircut or sideburns, nor is it the horrific, gaudy jumpsuits with the oversize "Santa Claus" belt buckles drawing attention to his distended midsection. And it isn't the profuse sweating or his often weak or out-of-breath vocal lines.

It's his eyes.

For much of the taping, when Elvis sings, he keeps them tightly shut. Is it due to the house lights being left up for taping purposes? Is it his embarrassment over his appearance -- something he spoke about to Ed Parker en route to the first taping in Omaha? Or do they just plain hurt?

The pain is so evident, a fatigued look in his eyes is paramount, in every second of the TV broadcast. It is a window into his soul -- a soul which was in a very dark and lonely place that June.

Almost all the images in this topic tell a similar story. It's so sad.