Post here your Elvis' pictures

Rare early Febr. '55 - candid - New Orleans

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:15 am

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but since this interesting picture is new to my eyes, I hope someone can provide more details:

Image

As Miss Audrey S. Enzor is also mentioned in an '55 article about Lake Pontchartrain (which is near New Orleans), it make sense to assume that the Elvis picture is from the same area. And since it looks like a '55 picture, could it be a picture from Jesuit High School - Febr 4th ? If not, anyone has more details.
Last edited by E-Cat on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rare ' 55 candid : date ?

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:26 am

Hope you don't mind E-Cat .. I enlarged it for you.

Great Story btw .. bring on the Detectives :wink:

Image

Re: Rare ' 55 candid : date ?

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:00 am

Little Darlin wrote:Hope you don't mind E-Cat .. I enlarged it for you. Great Story btw ..

thx BD ! :)

Re: Rare ' 55 candid : more info ....?

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:21 am

looks like from around the same day the "group" photo was taken. The
one that has Jim Reeves lined up, and a lot of other Hayride performers...
A large picture of the group appears in "My Wish Came True / The Rock
'n' Roll Years, vol 1, by yours truly.

Re: Rare ' 55 candid : more info ....?

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:44 pm

Yes, we've had this photo up before and I think the thread took the same course with the group photo being used to demonstrate the probability of it being from the same day.

dont ask me what the thread is, I have no idea :(

Re: Rare ' 55 candid : more info ....?

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:42 pm

E-Cat wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed before, but since this interesting picture is new to my eyes, I hope someone can provide more details:

Image

As Miss Audrey S. Enzor is also mentioned in an '55 article about Lake Pontchartrain (which is near New Orleans), it make sense to assume that the Elvis picture is from the same area. And since it looks like a '55 picture, could it be a picture from Jesuit High School - Febr 4th ? If not, anyone has more details.



This looks like it was taken at the penny arcade at Pontchartrain Beach Amusement park, ImageI can only find a small postcard image and it doesn't show the same angle
The Link below is where the picture is posted:
http://www.saveourlake.org/PurePontch.htm

Re: Rare ' 55 candid : more info ....?

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:10 pm

John from Woodley wrote:
TALLHAIR 2 wrote:looks like from around the same day the "group" photo was taken. The one that has Jim Reeves lined up, and a lot of other Hayride performers...A large picture of the group appears in "My Wish Came True / The Rock 'n' Roll Years, vol 1, by yours truly.

I don't have the book but I do have the pic and you're right Ger.

Many thanks Ger and John !

Since, the group photo seems to be taken in front of a local radiostation, I searched for more information using all possible name call sign variations : WBOR - WDOR - WBUK - WDUK -WBUR - WDOR - WBOK - WDOK etc.

When searching all these names I found only one radiostation with a Presley connection: WBOK. And was it not Red Smith's WBOK who was promoting the show in New Orleans on Febr 4th 1955 ? I even found the uncropped picture confirming that the group picture was indeed taken at WBOK in New Orleans : (courtesy: Ashleigh Austin):

Image

btw: The girl who was identfied as Dorothy Fottenberg (?) - could be Ann Raye (who was also part of the show that evening).

However - I am not sure where the picture was taken, it could be inside Jesuit High School or as Memphis suggested at the Pontchartrain Beach Amusement park (when Elvis and June later met, he said he visited Pontchartrain before). So, more info is needed to confirm the exact location.
Last edited by E-Cat on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rare ' 55 candid : more info ....?

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:55 pm

This is changing history (again!) which is great really.

Brian, come in Brian, where are you?, does this not redefine, or possibly redefine the clothes Elvis is wearing into a different time frame, or at least extend the time frame to begin earlier?

Re: Rare early Febr. '55 - candid - New Orleans

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Well, wouldn't it be great to indeed have a photo from February 4, 1955. I wish we had many more from early 1955 but unfortunately they are very scarse.

This is indeed from Pontchartrain Beach but not from February 1955. It's from September 1, 1955

The belt Elvis is wearing in this photo was used from around August 20 and about 2 weeks forward.

The advertisement for the September 2 show mention Jimmy Swan, Ernie Chaffin and Jim Reeves among others.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
(1970s tours updated)

Re: Rare early Febr. '55 - candid - New Orleans

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:28 pm

bripet56 wrote:Well, wouldn't it be great to indeed have a photo from February 4, 1955. I wish we had many more from early 1955 but unfortunately they are very scarse.

Thanks Brian - so the location was right but it was Sept 55 - btw: has the picture been published before ?

Re: Rare early Febr. '55 - candid - New Orleans

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:38 pm

This photo was posted on this M.B. several months ago but I can't seem to find the thread. Can someone confirm this. The reason I ask is because I thought it had an alternative candid posted with it. I could be wrong and saw it on another sight. I can't seem to find the other photo, but was able to find this one on my computer.

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Rare early Febr. '55 - candid - New Orleans

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:47 pm

gwsells wrote:This photo was posted on this M.B. several months ago but I can't seem to find the thread. Can someone confirm this. The reason I ask is because I thought it had an alternative candid posted with it. I could be wrong and saw it on another sight. I can't seem to find the other photo, but was able to find this one on my computer.

After Steve M indicated the same, I used the MB search engine but could not find more info either...like you - I also would appreciate to see an alternative candid from this Sept '55 event to define the real location at Pontchartrain (Beach Park).

Re: Rare early Febr. '55 - candid - New Orleans

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:57 pm

E-Cat wrote:
Thanks Brian - so the location was right but it was Sept 55 - btw: has the picture been published before ?


Well, I've only seen that same clipping of this particular photo that was posted in this thread. I know there is at least one more photo from this day. Hopefully we'll all get to see this as well some day in the, hopefully, near future.

Here's the advertisement for the show:
Image

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
(1970s Tours updated)