Post here your Elvis' pictures

November 10th 1955 - Music DJ Convention Nashville

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:19 am

Are there more pictures from the Country Music DJ Convention - Nov 10th 1955.

courtesy: Grand Ole Opry / Gillingham

more info:

Elvis attends the fourth annual Country Music Disc Jockey Convention in Nashville, where he tells everyone he meets of his imminent switch to RCA, although the Colonel has yet to finalize the deal. In his room at the Andrew Jackson Hotel, Mae Boren Axton plays him a demo of a new song she has written with Tommy Durden called "Heartbreak Hotel." (EJ - Day by Day: Nov 10th 1955)

By the time of the DJ Convention in Nashville, on November 10, the Colonel was sure enough of his deal that everyone knew there was something in the air, but whether RCA was aware that Sam Phillips would not move off his original price or Phillips knew of the RCA shortfall is doubtfull (Peter Guralnick - Last Train to Memphis)

Re: November 10th 1955 - Music DJ Convention Nashville

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:07 am

There is a fantastic one in MRS volume 2!

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:10 am

Nice find!

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:45 am

Anyone know where this was held?

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:13 am

davidtcb1 wrote:Anyone know where this was held?

Um ...

E-Cat wrote:Are there more pictures from the Country Music DJ Convention - Nov 10th 1955.

courtesy: Grand Ole Opry / Gillingham ... Elvis attends the fourth annual Country Music Disc Jockey Convention in Nashville ...

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
davidtcb1 wrote:Anyone know where this was held?

Um ...

E-Cat wrote:Are there more pictures from the Country Music DJ Convention - Nov 10th 1955.

courtesy: Grand Ole Opry / Gillingham ... Elvis attends the fourth annual Country Music Disc Jockey Convention in Nashville ...

I meant the location in Nashville...the actual place.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:40 am

Brians got some, Ernst has got some, Ger had some and I posted some that were first published in a UK magazine circa 1980 on this MB a year or two back.

I'll take a search before the weekend and post them again if I can find them.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:43 am

davidtcb1 wrote:I meant the location in Nashville...the actual place.

I think it was at Andrew Jackson Hotel Nashville

Steve_M wrote:I'll take a search before the weekend and post them again if I can find them.

That would be cool !

More info: courtesy 2003 It's Only Rock n Roll

Press Envelope
1955. Seen here is the boldly printed envelope that housed Elvis Presley press kits to be distributed at Nashville's annual WSM-radio hosted disc jockey convention; the same event in which Elvis was voted 1955's "Most Promising Country Male Artist". Presley was days away from finalizing his RCA Records contract at the time. Incidentally, amidst the festivities on November 11th, songwriter Mae Axton gave Presley the song that would become his first national hit, "Heartbreak Hotel". 9 x 12", VG.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:25 am

You can see the name of the venue on the wall above the door behind Elvis - Yes, The Andrew Jackson Rooms. (Hey hows about that for answering a question in photo form!)

As for Mae Axton, well, hows about that being backed up in photo form as well! (That is Mae, isn't it??)

Brian will explain the difference in clothing from the ones above, but if i recall these maybe the following day or viccy verca as this was a two day event ??? All yours Brian!

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:22 pm

I believe the Andrew Jackson Hotel is where Mae Axton played "Heartbreak Hotel" for Elvis the first time, correct? I have an interview on video of Mae discussing how she played it for Elvis, and he responded, "Hot dog, Mae, play it again."

As a sidenote, I wonder if this "Dee-Jay Convention" was the precursor to what is now the CRS--Country Radio Seminar--which is held in Nashville each spring.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Steve_M wrote: You can see the name of the venue on the wall above the door behind Elvis - Yes, The Andrew Jackson Rooms. (Hey hows about that for answering a question in photo form!) As for Mae Axton, well, hows about that being backed up in photo form as well! (That is Mae, isn't it??)

Thanks Steve for the pictures. It could well be that the pictures were taken when she spotted Elvis walking through the lobby.

courtesy: http://www.buddykillen.com/lowband/index.html

Mae recalled that she saw Elvis walking through the Andrew Jackson Hotel lobby. She told him she had a song for him. She then went to his room and played it for him and he said, "Hot dog, Mae, play it again!"

Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:35 pm

I would imagine this was the beginning of CRS as we know it today, yes. The hotel is no longer standing, unfortunately. Here's a picture I found of if being demolished...year unknown to me.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:25 am

Steve M wrote:
Brian will explain the difference in clothing from the ones above, but if i recall these maybe the following day or viccy verca as this was a two day event ??? All yours Brian

Thanks Steve.
Actually, I'm not sure which photos are from which date except that the first photo posted here was taken at 11:48:28 when he was named "most outstanding new artist of 1955" by Billboard.

At 11:56:43 he was named "Up-andComing Star of the year" by Cash Box.

Whether the time was p.m. on November 10th or a.m. on November 11th I honestly don't know. Elvis flew back home to Memphis in the early morning hours of November 12th so actually it could also be p.m. on November 12th. I don't know the schedule for this event.

Elvis wore at least one more outfit during this two-day event as shown in picture below. I'm also enclosing a clipping from the Memphis Press Scimitar on Nov 12. Actuall Elvis didn't leave for Shreveport at 10 a.m. He left for a 2 p.m. show at the Milling Company in Carthage, Tx. In the evening he played the Louisiana Hayride show in Shreveport.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:39 am

bripet56 wrote:Actually, I'm not sure which photos are from which date except that the first photo posted here was taken at 11:48:28 when he was named "most outstanding new artist of 1955" by Billboard.

At 11:56:43 he was named "Up-andComing Star of the year" by Cash Box.

Thanks Brian.

Though your lack of accuracy and vague generalisation of the events was heavily noted by the abscence of the seconds not being quoted in your times :lol:

I'm not gonna ask, i know there's a darn watch in there somewhere and you've got some nice high res shots of it.

Seriously though, that was quite a landmark day for Elvis and we do seem to have a collection of photos, albeit some unpublished, from that day along with various narratives from folks who were there. This day needs archiving in detail. I'll be in touch Brain, though I vote for you to feature it as one of your days on your site.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:53 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:There is a fantastic one in MRS volume 2!

Does V2 provides more pictures from this event ?

bripet56 wrote:I'm also enclosing a clipping from the Memphis Press Scimitar on Nov 12:

Elvis flew back home to Memphis in the early morning hours of November 12th so actually it could also be p.m. on November 12th.

Thx Brian - whether he flew back to Memphis on the 11th (as EJ suggested) or early morning hrs of the 12th - Elvis still had to drive from Memphis for his 2 pm show in Carthage, TX which is about 375 m from Memphis ~ a 5/6 hrs drive. So even if Elvis left Graceland at 9.00 that morning the 11.56 (am) picture is unlikely from the 12th (Elvis was hundred miles away..) ..As Elvis played Hayride later that day I also doubt it can be an 11:56 pm picture - or did I overlook something...?

Steve_M wrote:Seriously though, that was quite a landmark day for Elvis and we do seem to have a collection of photos, albeit some unpublished, from that day along with various narratives from folks who were there. This day needs archiving in detail. .
Thx for your input Steve - and yes career milestones like this need be archived in most possible detail...

btw: what happened to the plague - Graceland ?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:11 am

E-Cat wrote:

Yes, there is one fantastic photo of Elvis recieving his award that has not been posted here or anywhere else.

and BTW, Steve M, that is definately NOT Mae Axton in that Andrew Jackson Rooms picture.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:30 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
E-Cat wrote:

Yes, there is one fantastic photo of Elvis recieving his award that has not been posted here or anywhere else.

and BTW, Steve M, that is definately NOT Mae Axton in that Andrew Jackson Rooms picture.

Thx King..good stuff ; Mae was 41 yrs of age when the pictures were taken, so the pic with Elvis and the girl is most likely not Mae -but who is she and can you date the pictures ?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:22 am

The woman is younger, and simply does not resemble Mae. She could be an executive or fellow musician's wife.

Can you imagine how exciting this time must have been in Elvis' life?

Christmas 1955, at home with the folks, must have been an incredibly happy experience. Presley had seen a huge upswing in his salary and popularity, met a thousand girls, got signed to a MAJOR label, was set to soon appear on NETWORK television, and had no idea that 1956 was going to be 1955 X 1,000,000.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:49 pm

E-Cat wrote:
Thx Brian - whether he flew back to Memphis on the 11th (as EJ suggested) or early morning hrs of the 12th - Elvis still had to drive from Memphis for his 2 pm show in Carthage, TX which is about 375 m from Memphis ~ a 5/6 hrs drive. So even if Elvis left Graceland at 9.00 that morning the 11.56 (am) picture is unlikely from the 12th (Elvis was hundred miles away..) ..As Elvis played Hayride later that day I also doubt it can be an 11:56 pm picture - or did I overlook something...?

Sorry, my mistake.
What I meant was that the photos could have been from shortly before midnight on November 10th, shortly before noon on November 11th or shortly before midnight on November 11th. The latter being the least probable.

Could the elderly lady in the photo I posted above be Mae Boren Axton???

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:21 pm

could she be Charline Arhur - she was named in best female singer category for "Country & Western Jamboree" in 1955 and according to the news clipping also invited for the event .

bripet56 wrote:Could the elderly lady in the photo I posted above be Mae Boren Axton???

Yes - I think that could well be Mae.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:39 am

The old lady in your photo, bripet56, is not Mae Axton either.

This is Elvis and Mae Axton (hatless) circa 1955
Elvis-ACelebration-a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:57 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:The old lady in your photo, bripet56, is not Mae Axton either.

Though I must say that I've also seen early 50's pictures from Mae where she looked much older, you could be right - so more info is needed.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:05 am

KOTJ--and a few others who posted earlier--are correct. The lady with Elvis in Brian's picture is not Mae Axton.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:43 am

E-Cat wrote:Though I must say that I've also seen early 50's pictures from Mae where she looked much older, you could be right - so more info is needed.

I don't really think so, just look at the differences in height between the actual Mae Axton and Elvis, and the woman in bripet56's photo and Elvis. The truth is we might not be able to determine who the women in the photos are, as they might not be celebrities. We are certain of who they are NOT though, and that is Mae Axton.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:52 pm

bripet56 wrote: I'm also enclosing a clipping from the Memphis Press Scimitar on Nov 12.

Brian, see also Guralnicks comments below :

Probably the elephant that the Colonel had tethered outside of the Hickory Room of the Andrew Jackson Hotel did not fail to make its implicit point either, while at the same time proclaiming, `Like an elephant Hank Snow never forgets.

Do you know if a picture of this publicity stunt exists ?