Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis with Joe Bennett & The Sparkletones

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:20 am

Just found this nice and - to me new - picture by accident and thought it would be worth to share it with you. The information text was taken from the following link 'www.joebennettandthesparkletones.com'.

Joe Bennett and the Sparkletones was a teenage rock 'n roll group from Spartanburg, SC, consisting of Joe Bennett (lead vocals lead guitar), Howard Childress (vocal, guitar), Wayne Arthur (vocal, bass), and Jimmy Denton (drums), that charted Billboard with a number 17 pop hit in 1957 with "Black Slacks."

Joe Bennett and The Sparkletones were a remarkable group of teenagers who wrote and played almost all their own material in the late '50s. They scored only a few hits -- the most successful of which was "Black Slacks," with "Penny Loafers and Bobby Socks" charting Billboard in 1957.

Some Sparkletones appearances included, Ted Mack‘s Original Amateur Hour, twice on the Ed Sullivan Show,Nat King Cole Show, twice on Dick Clark's American Bandstand as the Sparkletones, and one appearance with just Joe Bennett, twice on the Alan Freed Show. During a 13 week show at the Royal Nevada Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, the Sparkletones were pleasantly surprised with a visit from Elvis at their concert and a personal visit and photo session with Elvis in their dressing room after their performance.

Joe Bennett and the Sparkletones toured for about three years and disbanded in October 1960.

Joern

Re: Elvis with Joe Bennett & The Sparkletones

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:43 am

Joern wrote:During a 13 week show at the Royal Nevada Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, the Sparkletones were pleasantly surprised with a visit from Elvis at their concert and a personal visit and photo session with Elvis in their dressing room after their performance.

Thx Joern, haven't seen that shot much often - here is some more info from http://www.rockabillyhall.com:
The biggest thrill for the four happened while they were performing in Las Vegas. "I will always remember how I felt when I looked out and saw Elvis Presley at our show in Las Vegas," Childress remembers. "Bob Cox knew how much we liked Elvis and he had arranged for him to come to see us.
After the show, Elvis came to our dressing room to visit. It was a thrill." The Sparkletones were on the cutting edge of a 1950's musical sound referred to as "rockabilly." The music was a raucous blend of hillbilly, as country music was sometimes called, rock 'n' roll and traditional black music. The sound and the beat of the music were perfect for dancing and kids did dance, for these were the days of sock hops. "I remember we played backup at a sock hop in Connecticut for Fabian. We didn't think he was a very good singer, but he did not have his own band, so we played for him," Denton says.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:21 am

what year / month did elvis come see them?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:36 am

voldto wrote:what year / month did elvis come see them?

During his October 1957 Las Vegas holiday.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:20 am

Elvis met the Sparkletones in Las Vegas in November 1956

Mississippi

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:07 pm

Awesome photo, thanks!

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:49 pm

Mississippi wrote:Elvis met the Sparkletones in Las Vegas in November 1956

In the photo above, Elvis appears exactly as he did when he met Marge and Gower Champion in Las Vegas in October 1957.

Footage of this is on one of JAT's "Hot Shots" DVDs.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:32 am

I first saw this photo in Brian´s book The Atomic Powered Singer, where he credits this as coming from November 1956. We need Brian here to confirm this.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:42 am

Fool, can you post the photos or a DVD screen grab from Elvis meeting Marge and Gower Champion?

Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:11 am

These are all from Tunzi´s Hot Shots And Cool Clips, Vol.1 dvd. And I guess they were all taken on the same date.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:37 pm

Interesting, I emailed Joe Bennet and he said 57 too.

...yeah that shot (both) are from '57 in the dressing room of the Royal Nevada hotel...I loved that 'ol strat, grooved the neck and traded it in on another...we didn't know Elvis was coming to the show...what a night!

Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:58 pm

In the mag “Elvis – The Man And His Music” (#65, September 2004) you can read:

Elvis with Marge and Gover Champion, Sahara Hotel, Las Vegas, October 23rd 1957

Mississippi

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 pm

Thanks for the screen grabs, Fool -- you rock! JAT has the date wrong on those clips, as is quite evident.

JamesVRoy wrote:Interesting, I emailed Joe Bennet and he said 57 too.

My goodness, you are certainly connected with rock's first wave, to our enjoyment and benefit!

Thanks for the confirmation, James. Maybe I know something about the subject after all!

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for the screen grabs, Fool -- you rock! JAT has the date wrong on those clips, as is quite evident.

JamesVRoy wrote:Interesting, I emailed Joe Bennet and he said 57 too.

My goodness, you are certainly connected with rock's first wave, to our enjoyment and benefit!

Thanks for the confirmation, James. Maybe I know something about the subject after all!

I had never heard of him so I did a search and found his website. That's probably where the first picture came from. He had contact info so I emailed him. I commented about his strat at the same time, I have a 54 just like it.

http://www.joebennettandthesparkletones.com

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:41 am

JamesVRoy wrote:I had never heard of him so I did a search and found his website. That's probably where the first picture came from. He had contact info so I emailed him. I commented about his strat at the same time, I have a 54 just like it.

http://www.joebennettandthesparkletones.com

Well, you are a MOST valued member of this forum, and I am very glad you are here!

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for the screen grabs, Fool -- you rock!

You´re most welcome, Doc. Happy I can help. I always enjoy your posts, because I learn more about Elvis from them.

That´s why this forum is so great. There are so many very knowledgeable and bright people here. I have read hundreds of books about Elvis, but here I learn more all the time. This is a thank you to all of you many, many wonderful people here who contribute to this forum. Please, keep on giving us more facts and views/opinions, and stop that silly fighting against each other. That is just silly. We are here because of Elvis, and we all love him. Right?

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:10 am

The fool wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for the screen grabs, Fool -- you rock!

You´re most welcome, Doc. Happy I can help. I always enjoy your posts, because I learn more about Elvis from them.

Wow! Thank you.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:45 am

Well, let's hope I can stay logged in so I can comment on these pics.
Back in the very early 1990s I bought an Elvis-collection from a US lady and it included the photo of Elvis and the Sparkletones . On the back it said:Aug 5, 1956 Royal Nevada Hotel, Las Vegas.

I've learned a lot more since I published my book in 1994 and know now that the photo is NOT form 1956 but rather from Elvis' visit to Las Vegas in October 1957.

As for the photos with Marge and Gower Champion Elvis went backstage and met them when they opened at the Hotel Sahara in October 57.

Sincerely
Brian

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:41 am

Brian -- GREAT to have you here!