Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Elvis in Texas 1954

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:41 am

unclefester wrote:Hi guys.....I need some help....does anyone here have photos of Elvis performing at the Roundup Club in Gladewater Texas on November 23rd, 1954? Do any pictures exist from this specific date?? Brian? Doc?? Thanks all...........uf

None of the day-by-day books mention this date specifically.

Rockin' Across Texas does, but says it's The Mint Club [there are a couple of pics] !

But Lee Cotten does mention the Roundup Club in passing [last paragraph below]:

img253.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ColinB on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:46 am

The one I've seen and have online is this
There are a couple in Long Lost Highway from the same show I believe might be captioned as the Eagles nest but they are the mint club
I didn't notice this til just now but there is a drummer onstage and it almost looks like DJ just behind Scottys shirt where it meets his belt (or a small dog, camera or leather helmet).

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:59 am

James - Yeah, that's in Rockin' Across Texas.

This is the other one - also tagged as The Mint Club

Didn't scan too well....

img256.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:06 am

there's another too if my memory serves me correct (better lately than my vision) from the other side of the stage with an ad on the wall behinf them that says "Mint Club"

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:35 am

Here it is

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:26 pm

James Vincent : Long Lost Highway?!
Long Lonely Highway you mean, right?!
The Eagles Nest insert was done on this photo to fill up
the 'empty space' in the photo. Designers freedom,
so to speak. Back then, 1985, I had no clue where
many of the pre 56 photos were taken... Nobody
knew. No one had covered those years before, far as
I remember...? It was the first time so many ads for gigs,
in and outside of Memphis were seeing print in one book.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:33 pm

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:James Vincent : Long Lost Highway?!
Long Lonely Highway you mean, right?!
The Eagles Nest insert was done on this photo to fill up
the 'empty space' in the photo. Designers freedom,
so to speak. Back then, 1985, I had no clue where
many of the pre 56 photos were taken... Nobody
knew. No one had covered those years before, far as
I remember...? It was the first time so many ads for gigs,
in and outside of Memphis were seeing print in one book.

Long Lonely, sorry, the mind's getting mushy. Right, just an assumption about the insert not a complaint. That at least answers what I might have asked about anyone being behind the photo.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:35 am

Your picture went away earlier Colin but I saved it and cleaned it up a little. I'll have to dig out the rockin across texas book and see what it looks like before the scan but here it is now for posterity

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Awesome photo's!!!! :lol:

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Your picture went away earlier Colin but I saved it and cleaned it up a little.
I'll have to dig out the rockin across texas book and see what it looks like before the scan but here it is now for posterity

Well, thanks, James !

Your 'clean up' has it looking better than it does in the book !

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Well, I managed to answer one post so let's see if I can write another before I get logged out as I usually does these last few weeks.

I'm at work right now so I don't have the dates but the photos are from two different shows.

The one where Elvis wears a long jacket is from the November show and the ones where he wears a short jacket are from a December gig. You'll notice that Bill has different bass on the two dates.

JamesVRoy, could you ask Scotty if he and Bill ahd two of the Western-outfits as in these photos. I believe the shoulders in the shot where Elvis has the long jacket is red and in the other it is black.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:46 pm

They definitely look like different shirts. I've got a few questions to him outstanding, when he gets back to me with those I'll ask him sabout the shirts. I don't want to bambard him with minutia right now.
Its funny though, I heard from the son of one of the other Starlite Wranglers a while back and he said his dad still had the outfit. He was supposed to send me a picture but never did.
I'm going to be talking to Jimmy Rodgers Snow later this morning and hopefully might get some info on the Jacksonville thing we've been kicking around. In either case it should prove interesting.

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:41 pm

bripet56 wrote:JamesVRoy, could you ask Scotty if he and Bill ahd two of the Western-outfits as in these photos. I believe the shoulders in the shot where Elvis has the long jacket is red and in the other it is black.

I just heard back. Sent them a note awhile back cause I'd heard from Millard Yow's grandson that he had passed away early in the year. About the shirts, Gail said
Last night we were cleaning off the table at Scotty’s and came across your note
About Millard Yow. Scotty was talking about those western shirts. He said that
There was only one, it was light grey or off-white body, black yoke and white
Embroidery on the black. It was what they used in the Starlight Wranglers,
And also what he and Bill used in the very first shows with Elvis. The picture
Of the three of them (a detail is on Scotty’s book cover) was in black and
White, but it has been colorized many times, including on the book cover.
Those shirts have been shown in yellow, red, blue…..but they were actually
Light grey and did not actually have any color in them at all. Interesting.

I believe he is differentiating the suits that they wore with the Wranglers and not talking about or remembering the second style shirts he and Bill have in one of the pictures here. My guess is they were something they bought post Wranglers.