Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Jacksonville 55

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:00 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
Steve_M wrote:Theres' another Elvis / Car shot similar (differetn car I think) with the same location / backdrop.

What's the other shot? Can you post it?
It's not the one Brian posted with the Ford wagon is it?

Don't think that's the one James, from memory (and I amaze myself if this is accurate) I recall a paper cup or something on the floor beside the car.
The car is parked similarly to the first pick, but again this is from memory and I think Delboy posted the image a year or two back on here. I'm sure I've seen it in one of the "Image" books since published.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:04 pm

James, I've found the picture, it is from the same spot / location as the one above, but it is parked hood to wall and there is a paper cup on the floor! (Okay, so I'm amazed).

anyway, for speed it's page 121 of a Mike Evans' A Celebration - Images from the EPE Archives.
It's Florida '56 with Elvis and his White Continental Mk II

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:29 pm

Steve_M wrote:James, I've found the picture, it is from the same spot / location as the one above, but it is parked hood to wall and there is a paper cup on the floor! (Okay, so I'm amazed).

anyway, for speed it's page 121 of a Mike Evans' A Celebration - Images from the EPE Archives.
It's Florida '56 with Elvis and his White Continental Mk II

I would guess then that August of 56. I don't have that book so if you find the post again at some point let me know. I would guess also that the picture Brain posted above would have to be May of 55 if that's his first cadillac since it burned in June. Not certain though, any thoughts?

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:33 am

I managed to find Ardys and we had a lovely conversation:

She cannot remember exact dates - however she does remember:

- that she moved from Boca Grande to Jacksonville after she graduated in June'55. If the date is correct (she will get back to me) the pics are not from May'55.
- that the shirtless picture is from the concert where he was chased by his fans who tore his clothes off.
- that not all pictures are from the same day. She admits that she looks the same on all pictures, but she said that she only had one dress with matching jewelry, which may explain the confusion (she will get back to me with more details)
- that it was her brother who took the pictures, who used two different camera's at these different events.

I have sent her an email to ask for more info / clarification.

About copyrights, she informed me that:

- the copyrights are owned by his brother
- she did gave John Heath approval to use the pictures in the MRS publication - however she did assume that her brother would be credited.
- (as I stated before) all unedited pictures have been available through the State Archives Of Florida , years before she gave approval for MRS publication

Ardys, ex police agent - who turned 70 last month lives in Central Florida (Volusia County),
---------

I hope she will provide more details soon.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:35 am

E-Cat wrote:I managed to find Ardys and we had a lovely conversation:

- that she moved from Boca Grande to Jacksonville after she graduated in June'55. If the date is correct (she will get back to me) the pics are not from May'55.
- that the shirtless picture is from the concert where he was chased by his fans who tore his clothes off.
- that not all pictures are from the same day. She admits that she looks the same on all pictures, but she said that she only had one dress with matching jewelry, which may explain the confusion (she will get back to me with more details)
- that it was her brother who took the pictures, who used two different camera's at these different events.

- she did gave John Heath approval to use the pictures in the MRS publication - however she did assume that her brother would be credited.
- (as I stated before) all unedited pictures have been available through the State Archives Of Florida , years before she gave approval for MRS publication

Ardys, ex police agent - who turned 70 last month lives in Central Florida (Volusia County),
---------

Cool, ask her also why she was reffered to as "Ardys Bell Clawson" on a site that's no longer working?

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:20 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Cool, ask her also why she was reffered to as "Ardys Bell Clawson" on a site that's no longer working?

Ardys Bell is her maiden name (ofcourse). I am not sure if its relevant and if Ardys would know why a certain website is not working. However when entering "Ardys Bell Clawson" as search quiry, the first search result does seem to list an inactive website (http://www.jaxhistory.com). However, the site can still be accessed from cache memory so you can click "contact the website manager" for more info.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:00 am

E-Cat wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Cool, ask her also why she was reffered to as "Ardys Bell Clawson" on a site that's no longer working?

Ardys Bell is her maiden name (ofcourse). I am not sure if its relevant and if Ardys would know why a certain website is not working. However when entering "Ardys Bell Clawson" as search quiry, the first search result does seem to list an inactive website (http://www.jaxhistory.com). However, the site can still be accessed from cache memory so you can click "contact the website manager" for more info.

Right, I meant ask her about the Clawson not why the site wasn't working. I came across it last week when it was still functioning and emailed the webmaster wondering what his source was but haven't heard back.
Therin lies a dilemma though from what she's said about the pictures not being from the same day. Since they played there in July on 2 consecutive days then she had to either be there in the same clothes for both of them or the shirtless one is from May or February the foloowing year. The one with the shirt closely mateches a July date as Brian prviosuly pointed out.

Some references have him being admitted to the Jacksonville hospital for a stay of anywhere from 1-3 days afterwards after the concert. Any truth to that?

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:23 am

JamesVRoy wrote: Since they played there in July on 2 consecutive days then she had to either be there in the same clothes for both of them or the shirtless one is from May or February the foloowing year. The one with the shirt closely mateches a July date as Brian prviosuly pointed out.

Yes - it is a bit confusing - let's hope she can respond to some of my questions soon.

JamesVRoy wrote:Some references have him being admitted to the Jacksonville hospital for a stay of anywhere from 1-3 days afterwards after the concert. Any truth to that?

As far as I know the hospital event is from Jacksonville Febr 56.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 pm

E-Cat wrote:I managed to find Ardys and we had a lovely conversation:

---------

E-Cat -- FANTASTIC post! Is there another Presley forum on the planet that would offer such scholarly information?

As per the sections I highlighted above -- I had been about to suggest that Ardys wore the same dress on more than one occasion. Many girls have a "special" outfit they save for important events. And what was more important than seeing the Tupelo Mississippi Flash in Jacksonville?

One photo credits on page 1 will be revised -- the two shirtless images are likely from May 13, while the shot where they embrace must be from his return to the city in July. Ardys may well have seen Elvis in May, before relocating to Jacksonville -- she may be misremembering the chronology just a bit. Perhaps the riot of May 13 was a reason why she moved!

The MRS information is not a surprise.

-----

For all the pendants and troublemakers on this forum, topics and contributors like the above make it all worthwhile for the hard core fan.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:58 pm

E-Cat wrote:- (as I stated before) all unedited pictures have been available through the State Archives Of Florida

This is incorrect. The photo on the florida memory site identified as no4851 has been extremely cropped to make a vertical composition, whereas the original, uncropped version (as it appears on page 182 of MRS Vol 2.), is a horizontal composition, like the other 2 photos, as a matter of fact Scotty Moore can be seen on the far right hand side of the original. If someone can help me with posting the image, I'll be glad to scan the full version.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
E-Cat wrote:- (as I stated before) all unedited pictures have been available through the State Archives Of Florida

This is incorrect. The photo on the florida memory site identified as no4851 has been extremely cropped to make a vertical composition, whereas the original, uncropped version (as it appears on page 182 of MRS Vol 2.), is a horizontal composition, like the other 2 photos, as a matter of fact Scotty Moore can be seen on the far right hand side of the original. If someone can help me with posting the image, I'll be glad to scan the full version.

Send me a PM when you have the image uploaded to a photo hosting web site.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:14 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:

Send me the image and I'll host and post for you.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:17 am

bripet56 wrote:
ColinB wrote:Just look at the differences in the two pics.
In one the guy is younger than the other.
The nose, eyes, ears and mouth are different in the 2nd one.
Obviously two different guys with a similar haircut !

Yes, of course the guy in one of the pics is younger than the other as the photos are two days apart :lol: :lol:
Seems like you've snowed in on the plastic-surgery a lot lately as you can't watch two photos of Elvis without mentioning this :lol:
I'm not sure whether to take you serious on this or not :?

With my posts, if in doubt, always assume my tongue is firmly in my cheek................

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:14 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote: This is incorrect. The photo on the florida memory site identified as no4851 has been extremely cropped to make a vertical composition, whereas the original, uncropped version (as it appears on page 182 of MRS Vol 2.), is a horizontal composition, like the other 2 photos, as a matter of fact Scotty Moore can be seen on the far right hand side of the original.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:43 am

Interesting! It seems the photo stuff goes both ways in the MRS books. Can Ardys herself log in here?

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 am

OK, I sent the pix to Scotty and asked. I doubt he'll remember but what the heck, we seem to be pulling all the stops here. At the very least its resolved a few things for me and given me plans for a couple more pages (like I need that), and we ID'd a few locations.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:49 am

Underneath the reply posting window you can all use this very site to host photos.

There's a field that says "Filename" to its left with a browse button to its right.

Click Browse, locate the photo on your PC and then click "Add the file".

When you've finished composing your reply just click "Preview" "Submit" or "Save" just like you normally would.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:E-Cat -- FANTASTIC post!

Thanks, however to determine the correct dates, still more info is needed . I am awaiting a reply from Ardys.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Interesting! It seems the photo stuff goes both ways in the MRS books.

Interesting indeed - thanks for uploading King & James.
According to Ardys, her brother supplied the State Archives an original copy of the photonegative, which can be bought through the Library.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Can Ardys herself log in here?

She will ask her son to log in.

Is Scotty wearing his stage outfit (probably not) but if so - can we check concert pictures from May and July '55 (Jacksonville).
If not, do we have any other pictures of Scotty wearing these cloths from this timeframe.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:10 pm

The only other pix I know of Scotty in July 55 is from the 31st Tampa in the Tonsil photo. He's wearing a black (or dark colored) shirt, as is Bill.

PS. I took another long shot here and sent a message to Bob Wooton. He was married to Anita Carter and I asked if he had any recollection of her mentioning witnessing the incident since she was at the May performance. Not sure he'll be of any help but hey, running out of options. Still haven't heard back from Jimmy Rodgers Snow or Scotty yet.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:04 pm

Don't know if I will be able to post this cause I have major trouble logging in on this site the past few weeks.
Every time I log in and want to answer a post I get logged out.
But I'm following the thread and it's wonderful to have such a great discussion over some photos taken more than 50 years ago.

I'll check my 55 photos and see if Scotty's appearance in the Bell photo will help any.

I'll be back, hopefully.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:45 pm

I just spoke with Jimmy Rodgers Snow and he remembers the incident. He said the stage was setup in the middle of the field facing the bleaches with rows of chairs in front of the stage. HGe said the girls in the chairs in the front are the ones that pursued him. He didn't recall the date but that it was warm. I asked if he remembers if the Carters and Davis siters were in attendance and he sadi they were.
This tends to suggest to me that it happened in May but in all fairness if he was at both shows its possible they may be all coming together in his mind. We also talked about Tampa and the banner that E-Cat posted from his site. He wasn't sure where it was from but I told him Tampa.
Now, do we have an ad for the July show that lists him there or one that doesn't?
Any further word from Ardys?

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:17 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:I just spoke with Jimmy Rodgers Snow and he remembers the incident. He said the stage was setup in the middle of the field facing the bleaches with rows of chairs in front of the stage. HGe said the girls in the chairs in the front are the ones that pursued him. He didn't recall the date but that it was warm. I asked if he remembers if the Carters and Davis siters were in attendance and he sadi they were.
This tends to suggest to me that it happened in May but in all fairness if he was at both shows its possible they may be all coming together in his mind. We also talked about Tampa and the banner that E-Cat posted from his site. He wasn't sure where it was from but I told him Tampa.
Now, do we have an ad for the July show that lists him there or one that doesn't?
Any further word from Ardys?

I forgot to ask him on the phone so I emailed him again and asked if he "recalled it happening on more than one occasion, in otherwords did it happen at both the May and July appearance in Jacksonville?"

he replied
Yes just about everywhere we played it happened. Sometimes it would be more people then other times. It would depend on how large the crowd was. I know that Elvis did not invite the girls back stage anymore. I think he learned that it was not a good idea.

I haven't yet heard back from Scotty or Bob Wooton but I'm casting my vote for the May riot and July photos.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:18 pm

Steve_M wrote:Underneath the reply posting window you can all use this very site to host photos.

There's a field that says "Filename" to its left with a browse button to its right.

When you've finished composing your reply just click "Preview" "Submit" or "Save" just like you normally would.

Warning !

BMP files won't upload !

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:19 pm

ColinB wrote:
Steve_M wrote:Underneath the reply posting window you can all use this very site to host photos.

Warning !

BMP files won't upload !

What are you trying to upload? bmp formats are uncompressed and take up more space.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:22 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:What are you trying to upload? bmp formats are uncompressed and take up more space.

Photos with the .BMP ref.

It gives the message: "The extension bmp is not allowed"
Last edited by ColinB on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.