Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Jacksonville 55

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:06 am

bripet56 wrote:
IIRC the lady in the photos is Ardys Bell who is mentioned in the MRS "The Rise of Elvis Presley, Vol II" on page 176.
It was at this time (July 28-29, 1955) that Ardys Bell bumped into Elvis who after having only escaped the entourage of girls who had taken his shirt off, was hiding out back near an ice machine. Ardys found Elvis eating ice from the machine and let her pose with him while her friend took a few photographs of the scared and shirt-torn Elvis.

No hard evidence, I know, but here we have at least a story that fits the photos and timeframe.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Right, but where did they get the story? She seems to have stuck around a little longer then because he got a shirt and belt (probably shoes and socks too) in the other picture not taken near the ice machine (which is not an ice machine by the way).

Right now I'm thinking two riots, May and July cause I believe Mae's account with the Carters and Davis' and I also agree about the photos being July. (how come there weren't four riots if they played that gig two days in a row in both May and July?)

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:09 am

E-Cat wrote:About the official riot, there is an interesting article with Jimmy Velvet. He met Elvis in Jacksonville '55 . When he was asked about the official riots, Jimmy seems to refer to the May performance.. : http://www.elvisinfonet.com/velvet.html

btw: 50 years later ...what's the definition of hard evidence ?

interesting topic ...!

Yeah I saw that too and emailed him last night about something else. His story goes along with hers but his memory is such that its a long time ago. Not sure how much of what he says about the riot is first hand or what he heard over the years (not that he wasn't there).

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:11 am

James perhaps a small contribution to your Armor- article on your excellent website - but , I think this was also in front of the Armory (May 8 1955)

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:15 am

E-Cat wrote:James perhaps a small contribution to your Armor- article on your excellent website - but , I think this was also in front of the Armory (May 8 1955)

WHOA! Cool! That definitely should go up. How do I credit it, is there a source?
Notice how they list Scotty and Bill separate from Elvis Presley and his band?

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:40 am

bripet56 wrote:I only say that I would like to see some 1955 proof for the riot. And NO ONE has come up with such a thing.

It comes down to how many first-person accounts do you need as "proof"? Besides Mae, there is testimony from Oscar Davis, and likely some internal paperwork from the Parker archives that discusses this show. It was a watershed moment in the Presley-Parker relationship -- after the events of May 13, the old carny set his sights and his future firmly on the Memphis singer. Have you read the chapter where Peter Guralnick recounts the riot? If not, please do.

bripet56 wrote:IIRC the lady in the photos is Ardys Bell who is mentioned in the MRS "The Rise of Elvis Presley, Vol II" on page 176.

Ardys Bell is cited by James and me at the beginning of this topic. Unfortunately, it was confirmed that the veracity of the "stories" in the MRS books has been sacrificed to fit the photos depicted. It is doubtful their research is even one-tenth that of Peter Guralnick's biographies.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:42 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
E-Cat wrote:James perhaps a small contribution to your Armor- article on your excellent website - but , I think this was also in front of the Armory (May 8 1955)

WHOA! Cool! That definitely should go up. How do I credit it, is there a source?

Snow jr: http://www.jimmysnow.com/images/jamboree2.jpg

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:23 am

Excellent, will add that.
Intersting too is I didn't know it but he's still alive. I'll email him about the riot for his recollections

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:58 am

bripet56 wrote:Those are great photos of the Ft Homer Hesterly Armory James.
I even managed to spot the exact place where Elvis stands with the reporters and fans on August 5, 1956.

Brian, I just noticed another Armory picture

You guys realize I'm never going to get that page on Vancouver done?

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:13 am

wow !

JamesVRoy wrote:You guys realize I'm never going to get that page on Vancouver done?

How about a book on The Armory...

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:21 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Brian, I just noticed another Armory picture

This was first published in Elvis - A Legendary Performer Volume 4 (RCA 1983), in the LP's "Memory Log" booklet.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14 am

but did they identify it as the armory?

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:44 am

JamesVRoy wrote:but did they identify it as the armory?

I don't think they even got the year right -- I'll check.

You may recall unissued Tampa interviews by Ray and daughter Norma Pillow from Elvis' August 1956 visit were included on side one -- Norma's is hilarious:

N: "I think I looked all over Detroit for a copy of 'Good Rockin' Tonight'"

E: "Why didn't you just come to my house? I would've given you a copy."

N: "Oh!"

---

N: "Do you have a girlfriend?"

E: "Well I think I found her."

N: "You have?"

E: "Yeah, YOU!"

N: "Oh!"

---

E: "Don't be so nervous, honey."

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:36 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
I even managed to spot the exact place where Elvis stands with the reporters and fans on August 5, 1956.

Is that the Armory? A year or two back I wasn't sure and pencilled in that it could be the side or back of the Sportatorium. Theres' another Elvis / Car shot similar (differetn car I think) with the same location / backdrop.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:33 pm

Wow if there are more such discussions I will make this site my homepage! Thanks for posting!

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:40 pm

Steve_M wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

ImageImage

Is that the Armory? A year or two back I wasn't sure and pencilled in that it could be the side or back of the Sportatorium. Theres' another Elvis / Car shot similar (differetn car I think) with the same location / backdrop.

Yes, that's the armory. His car is facing what looks to be an open bay in one of the garages. You can see design above the doors over his left shoulder which is the design in the the autographing pictures posted earlier in this thread. The angle is almost the same as the long shot of the buildi looking at the southwest corner.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:01 am

Thanks James.

I'll rub out the pencil and use a marker pen now. :wink:

Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:35 am

Steve_M wrote:Theres' another Elvis / Car shot similar (differetn car I think) with the same location / backdrop.

What's the other shot? Can you post it?
It's not the one Brian posted with the Ford wagon is it?

Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:36 am

Perhaps of interest:

Marty Lacker: Elvis used to tell me about playing Jacksonville in May of '55. [. .. they followed him into the dressing area and tore most of his clothes off]

Revelations from the Memphis Mafia

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:14 am

Seeing as MRS credits the photos to Mrs. Bell and knowing that MRS volume 2 was the first place these beautiful photos were published...it would be a logical conclusion that they got the story from Mrs. Bell herself, but it is possible that she might have been mistaken.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:39 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote: Seeing as MRS credits the photos to Mrs. Bell and knowing that MRS volume 2 was the first place these beautiful photos were published..

The pics are not new, in fact the Bell pictures were even available years before the MRS publication - especially after the "State Library and Archives of Florida" digitized their archives in 2003 (i.e. Florida Memory Project).
KingOfTheJungle wrote:.it would be a logical conclusion that they got the story from Mrs. Bell herself

Doubtful -and if it does come from Mrs Bell - where is the story and where are the details ?

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:00 am

The photos in MRS did come from Bell. Besides the fact that the MRS versions are less cropped than those that appear on Florida Memory site, the site has only TWO of the THREE backstage Jacksonville images of Elvis and Bell that appear in MRS. As for the story itself I am uncertain of the source.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:28 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:.Besides the fact that the MRS versions are less cropped than those that appear on Florida Memory site, the site has only TWO of the THREE backstage Jacksonville images of Elvis and Bell that appear in MRS.

No - all three photo negatives are available from the State Archives:
Here are the picture id's:
N048589
N048590
N048591

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:16 am

Fair enough, that doesn't change the fact that MRS did indeed source them from Bell.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:39 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:The photos in MRS did come from Bell. Besides the fact that the MRS versions are less cropped than those that appear on Florida Memory site, the site has only TWO of the THREE backstage Jacksonville images of Elvis and Bell that appear in MRS. As for the story itself I am uncertain of the source.

Can we see the less cropped versions? I don't have the book.
How do you know that the pictures came from Ms. Bell?

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:08 am

As already noted, many of the statements and attributions in the MRS books apparently do not stand up to scrutiny.