Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Jacksonville 55

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:24 pm

ColinB wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:What are you trying to upload? bmp formats are uncompressed and take up more space.

Photos with the .BMP ref.

Can't you convert it? If not, send it to me and I'll convert it for you

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:49 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:This tends to suggest to me that it happened in May but in all fairness if he was at both shows its possible they may be all coming together in his mind.

Most probably Jimmy Rodgers Snow played at both shows indeed:

July 25
Elvis, "brought back by popular demand", began a tour of Florida as an extra attraction on the same bill with Andy Griffith, who at the time was a popular country comedian. Sharing the spotlight were the duo of Marty Robbins and Jimmy Farmer, Tommy Collins and Jimmy Rogers Snow ......("Elvis Day by Day" - Lee Cotten):

JamesVRoy wrote:Now, do we have an ad for the July show that lists him there or one that doesn't?

below an ad from July 31:

JamesVRoy wrote:I forgot to ask him on the phone so I emailed him again and asked if he "recalled it happening on more than one occasion, in otherwords did it happen at both the May and July appearance in Jacksonville?"he replied:
Yes just about everywhere we played it happened. Sometimes it would be more people then other times. It would depend on how large the crowd was. I know that Elvis did not invite the girls back stage anymore. I think he learned that it was not a good idea.

As EJ stated in Day by Day, there were riots at both shows:
May 13 Jacksonville : ....full scale riot , with fans pursuing Elvis into the dressing room and tearing off this clothes and shoes...
July 28: Jacksonville: again there is a riot when Elvis performs
JamesVRoy wrote:Any further word from Ardys?
Not yet...

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:04 am

E-Cat wrote: As EJ stated in Day by Day, there were riots at both shows:
May 13 Jacksonville : ....full scale riot , with fans pursuing Elvis into the dressing room and tearing off this clothes and shoes...
July 28: Jacksonville: again there is a riot when Elvis performs

He mentioned Andy Griffith too. How did we miss that entry in Day by Day before?
I guess then the shirtless pix are the 28th and the shirt on is the 29th, both July. Riot as thought in May and another in July. Would still like to hear anything else Ardys has to add when you get it but that about settles it for me then. What's next?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:09 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
ColinB wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:What are you trying to upload? bmp formats are uncompressed and take up more space.

Photos with the .BMP ref.

Can't you convert it? If not, send it to me and I'll convert it for you

Very kind of you to offer James, but if I send them to PhotoBucket, they will load from there.

I was simply pointing out that the upload straight from your own pc doesn't work with files which have the .bmp extension......................

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:48 am

JamesVRoy wrote:I just spoke with Jimmy Rodgers Snow and he remembers the incident. He said the stage was setup in the middle of the field facing the bleaches with rows of chairs in front of the stage. He said the girls in the chairs in the front are the ones that pursued him. He didn't recall the date but that it was warm. I asked if he remembers if the Carters and Davis sisters were in attendance and he said they were ... I forgot to ask him on the phone so I emailed him again and asked if he "recalled it happening on more than one occasion, in other words did it happen at both the May and July appearance in Jacksonville?" He replied "Yes just about everywhere we played it happened. Sometimes it would be more people then other times. It would depend on how large the crowd was. I know that Elvis did not invite the girls backstage anymore. I think he learned that it was not a good idea.

Snow's words verify that Jacksonville went bananas over Elvis in May and July 1955. However, the date where girls tore his clothes off had to have been May 13 -- he couldn't have used the "backstage" joke in July.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Snow's words verify that Jacksonville went bananas over Elvis in May and July 1955. However, the date where girls tore his clothes off had to have been May 13 -- he couldn't have used the "backstage" joke in July.

Actually Doc I take it that they tore his clothes several times, hence the "everywhere we played". But the May show is the one where he gave the invitation.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:19 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Actually Doc I take it that they tore his clothes several times, hence the "everywhere we played". But the May show is the one where he gave the invitation.

No, as the experience was not a pleasant one -- in fact it was downright frightening, as one may imagine -- it is VERY likely Elvis kept such "jokes" to himself to ensure it was not repeated. That is exactly what Snow implies by the second comment I highlighted.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Actually Doc I take it that they tore his clothes several times, hence the "everywhere we played". But the May show is the one where he gave the invitation.

No, as the experience was not a pleasant one -- in fact it was downright frightening, as one may imagine -- it is VERY likely Elvis kept such "jokes" to himself to ensure it was not repeated. That is exactly what Snow implies by the second comment I highlighted.

That's just it Doc, he said it was repeated "everywhere we played", the experience, not the joke.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:05 am

JamesVRoy wrote:That's just it Doc, he said it was repeated "everywhere we played", the experience, not the joke.

Right, the crowd came unglued each time, but the backstage attacks ceased when the invitation was not proferred.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:That's just it Doc, he said it was repeated "everywhere we played", the experience, not the joke.

Right, the crowd came unglued each time, but the backstage attacks ceased when the invitation was not proferred.

Whatever works for you Doc.
I'm done with that aspect of it.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:13 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Whatever works for you Doc. I'm done with that aspect of it.

Right back at you, James. But my intuition is usually pretty good. It will be interesting to see if any additional information is found. Again, it's a shame we cannot get Ernst to comment here. No one has been more focused on -- or done more research about -- Elvis and his 1955 tours than Mr. Jorgensen.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:26 am

I deleted this post and moved it to the Ft Homer W. Hesterly thread

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: It will be interesting to see if any additional information is found. Again, it's a shame we cannot get Ernst to comment here. No one has been more focused on -- or done more research about -- Elvis and his 1955 tours than Mr. Jorgensen.

could this be of help, it seems to date the "I'll see ya'll backstage" - comment of which Ardys stated that this was the day the shirtless pic was taken:

Source: Live Fast, Love Hard: The Faron Young Story

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:37 pm

I can't speak for Anyone else E-Cat .. but that's more or less what I quoted from Guralnick's Book. ..so I think it does help a lot.

Last Train to Memphis .. Page 189

''On the thirteenth they played Jacksonville. Before the show Mae took Elvis and some of the other Musicians out to Dinner and she tried to wheedle out of him the frilly pink shirt that he was wearing. ''Skeeter Davis was there and June and Anita (Carter) and some of the Boys with Elvis and I said Elvis thats vulgar. And it would have made such a pretty blouse. And Skeeter said I want it and June said I want it. And he just kind of grinned. And I said Elvis you ought to give it to us, one of us anyway because they are just going to tear it off you tonight. Not really thinking about it-knowing the People liked him but not really thinking about it.

That night at the show in front of fourteen thousand people, he announced at the conclusion of his act; Girls I'll see you all Backstage. Almost immediately they were after him. The Police got him into the Gators Bowl's dugout locker room, where Mae and the Colonel were totalling up the nights receipts. Most of the other acts were backstage too Mae recalled, when the Fans started pouring in through. an overhead window that had been inadvertabtly left open ''I heard feet like a thundering herd and the next thing I knew I heard his voice from the shower area, I started running and three or four policemen started running too and by the time we got there several hundred must have crawled in - well maybe not that many but a lot and Elvis was on top of one of the showers looking sheepish and scared, like What do I do? and his shirt was shredded and his coat was torn to pieces. Somebody had even gotten his belt and his socks and these cute little Boots -
Copyright Peter Guralnick

Anyway he ended up in only his Pants lol!!

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:49 pm

Do we know who was the source for Guralnicks statement. If he quoted someone who was there who dated the "see, y'all backstage" - comment as May 13th and Ardys states that the shirtless pic was taken from that same incident, can't we then at least date the shirtless picture ?
Last edited by E-Cat on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:11 pm

E-Cat wrote:You are right - seems that Guralnick used Faron Young as source ref.

and Mae Boren Axton.

Jimmy Snow said it used to happen a lot but he did'nt do the "invite" after that time. The pictures with Ardys suggest July also since you said she didn't move there till after graduation, a 300 mile trip. She said the pictures were not taken the same day and the one with the shirt shows what appears to be the same shirt 6 days later in Memphis. Since the may riot was on the 2nd day of the show the shirtless picture must be from the the first day show in July if they are both from then. Anything is possible I guess but this appears to be the most likely.
Didn't Brian already say Ernst weighed in on the photo dates some time ago?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:22 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
E-Cat wrote:You are right - seems that Guralnick used Faron Young as source ref.

and Mae Boren Axton.

Jimmy Snow said it used to happen a lot but he did'nt do the "invite" after that time. The pictures with Ardys suggest July also since you said she didn't move there till after graduation, a 300 mile trip. She said the pictures were not taken the same day and the one with the shirt shows what appears to be the same shirt 6 days later in Memphis. Since the may riot was on the 2nd day of the show the shirtless picture must be from the the first day show in July if they are both from then. Anything is possible I guess but this appears to be the most likely.
Didn't Brian already say Ernst weighed in on the photo dates some time ago?

it seems that we have controversial statements which make it hard to nail this one, let me see if I can get more info.