Post here your Elvis' pictures

Jacksonville 55

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:06 pm

I saw this posted on the AEK and noticed it was captioned as February 56. I'm assuming that it would have to be after the 55 show.

Florida Mempry Project wrote:Elvis Presley and fan Ardys Bell after his performance in the Gator Bowl: Jacksonville, Florida

Photographed in February 1956.

Accompanying note: "Elvis was performing in Jacksonville with Hank Snow. After the performance (which took place at a baseball park), the girls chased Elvis and tore his shirt off. He escaped and was eating ice from a drink box when this photo was taken."

Re: Jacksonville 55

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:25 pm

James, that image is reversed -- but you are correct about the error on AEK.

These should be credited as follows ->

Ardys and Elvis - Jacksonville, FL - Friday, July 29, 1955

Elvis and Ardys AFTER the show! - Jacksonville, FL - Friday, May 13, 1955!

Elvis and Ardys AFTER the show! - Jacksonville, FL - Friday, May 13, 1955!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:James, that image is reversed -- but you are correct about the error on AEK.

These should all be credited to Jacksonville, FL - Friday, May 13, 1955 ->

Ardys and Elvis before the show

Elvis and Ardys AFTER the show!

Elvis and Ardys AFTER the show! (2)

Actually the mistake is from the Florida History site, on AEK itwas asked if the picture was mirrored as you show that it was.
Cool additional shots, don't think I've seen the shirtless ones. If I'm not mistaken that was the show where Skeeter Davis and the Carter sisters joked with him beforehand that the shirt was too pretty for him and that they had wanted it, or something like that.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:51 pm

Yes the Florida site has all three images mis-dated and reversed. Not a good reflection of their knowledge.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:23 am

I'm sorry guys but I don't believe these photos are from May 1955.

If you look at the photo below you'll see that the hair fits the Tampa-hair from July 31, 1955. Also the necktie (or whatever it's called) Elvis wears is the kind he wore the last two weeks of July 1955. Elvis used at least a white and a black (or dark-coloured) string-tie with a sort of medaillion on during these two weeks.

So I'm very convinced the photos are from Jacksonville, July 29, 1955.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:34 am

Brian, as always, your attention to detail is so strong. However, how do you explain the missing shirt and belt? He didn't lose those in July.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:29 am

Doc wrote:
However, how do you explain the missing shirt and belt? He didn't lose those in July.

Well Doc, I'm not quite sure where the rumour comes from that he lost his shirt and belt at his May 55 Jacksonville gig. I mean, there is no reviews from neither the May nor the July 55 shows in Jacksonville. So it would all have to be hearsay.

However, Elvis quite often threw out both his belt, tie and shirt to the audience at his 55 shows. Sometimes he would even throw out Scotty and Bill's ties to the fans.

So I wouldn't put too much into the fact that we haven't heard of him being shirtless at his July show in Jacksonville.

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:39 am

bripet56 wrote:Well Doc, I'm not quite sure where the rumour comes from that he lost his shirt and belt at his May 55 Jacksonville gig.

It is apparently a matter of fact!

Check out the bottom of page 232 here -> Elvis and Gladys (MacMIllan, 1985).

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:04 am

bripet56 wrote:
Well Doc, I'm not quite sure where the rumour comes from that he lost his shirt and belt at his May 55 Jacksonville gig.

Doc Wrote:
It is apparently a matter of fact!

Doc, I'm glad you said "apparently" as I wouldn't take a comment from a book written many years after both Gladys and Elvis had died as the truth and nothing but the truth. Don't recall when it was written but surely long after 1977. Where did Elaine Dundy get this information from?? Unless she had some kind of diary written by Gladys herself most of it would come from her memory or stories she read or heard. To me the whole page you refer to sounds more like a rewritten scene from "Loving You."

IF Elvis' clothes were actually torn off his back it would surely have made the news as this was NOT common behaviuour back in 1955.

I think she's getting the show mixed up with the August 1956 show in Miami where Elvis had part of his clothes torn off by fans. Eventually Elvis managed to get to his dressing-room with one of the legs of his trousers torn completely off. He tore the rest of the trousers into pieces and threw them into the crowd of fans waiting below his window.

Remember all the concert dates we just KNEW as concrete facts until some Dane came along and tore them all to pieces :lol: :lol:
I mean, a story is likely to be taken as solid fact if it is written in almost whatever kind of serious book. I'll take it as a solid fact if it was written back after the show in 1955 not told by someone more than 20 years after the instance happened. It's a nice story, it MIGHT be true, but it's nothing close to a fact.

I still believe the photos are from July 26 1955 but that doesn't mean I'm right.
I HAVE been wrong once, when I thought I was wrong and it turned out I was right :lol: 8) :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:12 am

IIRC, the May 13, 1955 Jacksonville riot is also mentioned in a certain Dane's book (Day By Day - 1999), and perhaps also by Guralnick (Last Train To Memphis -1994), among others. Dundy's biography has some flaws, but overall is very insightful. The story is not a one-off rumour.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:19 am

Oh Dear Page 190 in Last Train to Memphis .. Elvis was left in just his Pants :shock:

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:26 am

That's what I mean Doc. If a rumour is repeated in book after book it HAS to be the truth, why else would so many well-known writers tell it.

I did NOT mean to belittle her book. I'm sure she did a solid job both in researching and writing the book but I also know that MANY a writer often use parts from other book and lets their mind flow and stretches the truth a little to make the story more interesting.

There MIGHT have been a May 13, 1955 riot in Jacksonville but I'd love to see some solid May 1955 proof for the story.

What IS a fact is that Elvis DID wear those string-ties during the last two weeks of July 1955 while we do not have one single photo of him wearing a such previous to those two weeks. Well, I don't have any at least.

And by the way, I didn't mean THAT Dane :lol: 8)

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:29 am

Little Darlin wrote:
Oh Dear Page 190 in Last Train to Memphis .. Elvis was left in just his Pants

Easy girl, get a hold on yourself :lol:

Just to spark your imagination a bit here's two photos from Miami August 4, 1956 where Elvis had his pants ripped and threw the pieces out the window.

Sincerely
Brian
Last edited by bripet56 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:30 am

bripet56 wrote:Little Darlin wrote:
Oh Dear Page 190 in Last Train to Memphis .. Elvis was left in just his Pants

Easy girl, get a hold on yourself :lol:

Just to spark your imagination a bit:

Sincerely
Brian

LOL!!

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:37 am

bripet56 wrote:That's what I mean Doc. If a rumour is repeated in book after book it HAS to be the truth, why else would so many well-known writers tell it ... There MIGHT have been a May 13, 1955 riot in Jacksonville but I'd love to see some solid May 1955 proof for the story.

Dundy is more assailable than some, but it is quite surprising you besmirch the scholarly, detailed and award-winning effort that is Last Train To Memphis.

My well-worn copy is not handy, but there is no doubt Peter Guralnick did not simply repeat a rumour, and it is very likely underscored with the proof you seek in his end notes.

To be clear -- the photos may well be from July, but the lack of clothing does beg for further investigation of the incident in May a little further than you seem willing to do.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:44 am

You gentlemen (and ladie) are bringing up some interesting points. Does Peter credit a source in "Last Train" or "Day by Day" for what he writes or perhaps he viewed the photo(s) and assuming they were from the same show wrote "he was left in just pants".
Further, since LD has the book handy is there any reference to the show having the Davis and carter sisters on it as I thought I recalled reading and any billing in any paper of the time listing them at either the May or July shows?
Also, any reference in any other book to the girl in the photos anywhere? She's pictured before the show and after the show and someone obviusly knew her name. Has she ever written about the experience?
What struck me odd about the photos was that in Day by Day they write that they tear off his clothes and shoes" off not just shirt and belt. They look like the same pants before and after. Where did they get the "opinion of the Colonels advance man"?

How does his hair etc.. in the photos compare to the tonsil photo shots taken days after the July Jacksonville show?

On this page, from MRS, they credit the photo July 55 http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_mrs2.html
PS. Would like to see the copy of the receipt they have for the Scotty's Echosonic.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:47 am

I have the Book here now.

Skeeter Davis was there is all it says in the notes and the Story was being relayed by Mae Axton.June and Anita Carter were there and it was Jacksonville May 13th 1955...

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:02 am

Little Darlin wrote:I have the Book here now.

Skeeter Davis was there is all it says in the notes and the Story was being relayed by Mae Axton.June and Anita Carter were there and it was Jacksonville May 13th 1955...

Unfortunatley the Day by Day book lists her as a publicist in May and July, at least interviewing Elvis at the beginning of the July tour. How about Skeeter and the Carter sisters, present on both shows? The Day by Day book say they were at least on the May shows.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:03 am

James

Give me 5 mins and I will write what it says

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:22 am

Last Train to Memphis .. Page 189

''On the thirteenth they played Jacksonville. Before the show Mae took Elvis and some of the other Musicians out to Dinner and she tried to wheedle out of him the frilly pink shirt that he was wearing. ''Skeeter Davis was there and June and Anita (Carter) and some of the Boys with Elvis and I said Elvis thats vulgar. And it would have made such a pretty blouse. And Skeeter said I want it and June said I want it. And he just kind of grinned. And I said Elvis you ought to give it to us, one of us anyway because they are just going to tear it off you tonight. Not really thinking about it-knowing the People liked him but not really thinking about it.

That night at the show in front of fourteen thousand people, he announced at the conclusion of his act; Girls I'll see you all Backstage. Almost immediately they were after him. The Police got him into the Gators Bowl's dugout locker room, where Mae and the Colonel were totalling up the nights receipts. Most of the other acts were backstage too Mae recalled, when the Fans started pouring in through. an overhead window that had been inadvertabtly left open ''I heard feet like a thundering herd and the next thing I knew I heard his voice from the shower area, I started running and three or four policemen started running too and by the time we got there several hundred must have crawled in - well maybe not that many but a lot and Elvis was on top of one of the showers looking sheepish and scared, like What do I do? and his shirt was shredded and his coat was torn to pieces. Somebody had even gotten his belt and his socks and these cute little Boots -
Copyright Peter Guralnick

Anyway he ended up in only his Pants lol!!
Last edited by Little Darlin on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:02 am

I'm guessing then that Peter's dates are based on the interview of Mae. If the shirt in the picture is the one they're talking about then that suggests the May 13th show at the Gator bowl. If the Davises and Carters were at both shows then it could still be either, or it might not be the same shirt, there could've been the riot at both shows and the pictures are from July (assuming they allowed it to happen twice).
Any known pictures close to the May dates at all?

Thanks for the transcriptions LD, its been years since I read that book and would've had to go digging stuff out of the closet to get it.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:52 pm

You're Welcome James.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Back from work at last.

Doc, as I said in an earlier post I was not trying to belittle the Dundy book nor am I trying to
besmirch the scholarly, detailed and award-winning effort that is Last Train To Memphis.

I am merely stating a fact that those books, no matter how brilliant they are, were written and researched many, many years after the incident took place and are to a great part based upon interviews with people who, hopefully, were there back then. And we all know what happens to a lot of memories when time passes. They often get mixed up with each other. I am NOT saying that there was no riot in May. There could very well have been. I just haven't seen any 1955 proof for the riot.

As for photos from the May tour this is the closest we come to the Jacksonville show. Photo from Richmond May 16.

And from Tampa July 31

Now hold your horses. I just remembered that I had a whole lot of clippings stacked away from Billboard and look what I just found

Billboard June 4, 1955:
The Hank Snow show, with Faron Young, the Wilburn Brothers and Elvis Presley, played before an overflow crowd of 2,700 in Ocala, Fla., May 10, reports Nervous Ned Needham, c.&w. deejay at WMOP, Ocala.

This is the ONLY report about the Florida shows in May. Dundy's report of a crowd of 14.000 at a 1955 show also seem way too high. During most of his 1956 shows the larger crowds were reported at 10-12.000

Billboard August 13, 1955
Elvis Presley created pandamonium among the teenage country fans at Jacksonville, Fla., recently, and before he could be rescued from his swooning admirers they had relieved him of his tie, handkerchiefs, belt, and the greater part of his coat and shirt, Col. Tom Parker presented him with a new sports coat to replace the one snatched by the souvenir collectors.

I hope this is satisfying proof that the related riot most likely took place in July or at least that Elvis DID loose most part of his clothes at his Jacksonville show in July.

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:28 pm

bripet56 wrote:Back from work at last.

Now hold your horses. I just remembered that I had a whole lot of clippings stacked away from Billboard and look what I just found

Billboard June 4, 1955:
The Hank Snow show, with Faron Young, the Wilburn Brothers and Elvis Presley, played before an overflow crowd of 2,700 in Ocala, Fla., May 10, reports Nervous Ned Needham, c.&w. deejay at WMOP, Ocala.

This is the ONLY report about the Florida shows in May. Dundy's report of a crowd of 14.000 at a 1955 show also seem way too high. During most of his 1956 shows the larger crowds were reported at 10-12.000

Billboard August 13, 1955
Elvis Presley created pandamonium among the teenage country fans at Jacksonville, Fla., recently, and before he could be rescued from his swooning admirers they had relieved him of his tie, handkerchiefs, belt, and the greater part of his coat and shirt, Col. Tom Parker presented him with a new sports coat to replace the one snatched by the souvenir collectors.

I hope this is satisfying proof that the related riot most likely took place in July or at least that Elvis DID loose most part of his clothes at his Jacksonville show in July.

Sincerely
Brian

The May 10 show in Ocala was I read at the Southeastern pavilion. I don't know the capacity of the place but if 2700 is overflow it couldn't be very big. The Jacksonville shows were at the Gator Bowl which was said to be a new baseball park (though I only know of it now as a football stadium). I'm guessing it sat more, whether it did or not for that show I've no idea.
So far nothing conclusive, even the Billboard from August only says "recently".
Unfortunately I can't tell anything from the hair in any pictures.
Nothing on the girl, huh?

OK, here's something else. The Davis sisters and Carters were definitely on the May shows. Here's an early page I did from a fan that saw Elvis in 55 in Asheville. I had to actually help her write the letter to get details and dates straight which isn't really important but it does show an ad for the May 17th show.
http://scottymoore.net/asheville55.html

What happened to the May 16 picture Brian, it doesn't show anymore?

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:42 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
So far nothing conclusive, even the Billboard from August only says "recently".
Unfortunately I can't tell anything from the hair in any pictures.

"Recently" would not refer to a show three months earlier when Elvis had just played Jacksonville only two week prior.

And you can't tell anything from the hair?? I'd say you can't get much closer to the same hair than in these two photos although not from the exact same angle.

Yes, the Gator Bowl would of course seat a much larger audience but even when Elvis played stadiums and footballfields in 1956 he didn't attract an audience of 14.000 to my knowledge more than once that I know of and that was in October at the Cotton Bowl where he drew an astonishing 26.500. At other stadiums and the like he played to roughly 10.000 at the very PEAK of this period.

I don't think we'll be able to come up with any better proof for the Jacksonville-riot than the Billboard clipping. But I'd of course love to see ANY kind of evidence pertaining to any of the shows back in 1955.

Sincerely
Brian
Last edited by bripet56 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.