Post here your Elvis' pictures

September 13th '70 Candid!??

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:55 am

These may show Presley leaving Miami, enroute to Tampa! Anyone know when these were taken, IF they're not from the 13th (Sept)!?
Image Image
eBay item number: 140164504173

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:22 pm

Great shots Funky. I'll see if I have something to match with when I get back from work.

However, right off my mind I believe the photos are from 1972 rather than 1970. Probably the April tour. I'll get back with more later.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:41 pm

I, too, thought the same thing, Brian! Would it be fair to say that jacket Presley is wearing clearly shows the red flap over the right hand side pocket!

Thank you for your input :lol:!

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Funky wrote:
I, too, thought the same thing, Brian! Would it be fair to say that jacket Presley is wearing clearly shows the red flap over the right hand side pocket!

That would be very fair to say Funky. Also the jacket that Red West wears is the one we see in On Tour and photos from the April 72 tour.

Man, I don't get off work untill at least 4 hours from now.

Sincerely
Brian

Hi

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:03 pm

Great shots Funky, thanks a lot.

I agree with Brian, this is Elvis in April or June 1972. The plane also looks a lot like I saw in other April photos.

Cheers
Simon

Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:13 am

If taken in Florida, it's Elvis on a Saturday afternoon, April 17, 1972, leaving Jacksonville for his show in Little Rock that night at Barton Coliseum.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:01 am

bripet56 wrote: Also the jacket that Red West wears is the one we see in On Tour and photos from the April 72 tour.

Brian, unless my eyes are decieving me, then I'm sure Red West is not in the first shot! I believe the person (to the extreme left) to be Dick Grob! Red may even be the person with his back to the camera!

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:41 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Brian, unless my eyes are decieving me, then I'm sure Red West is not in the first shot! I believe the person (to the extreme left) to be Dick Grob! Red may even be the person with his back to the camera!

Your eyes are deceiving you.

Red West is underneath the "EAP" on the far left, Joe Esposito is to Red's left in the red shirt, and Dick Grob is the man in the tan coat with his back to the camera.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:08 pm

Sorry guys, had a few domestic problems to take care of last night so I never got around to answer the post.

Let's first state that the Doc is right Funky. Your eyes are deceiving you. That's Red West on the far left and Dick Grob with his back to the photographer.

As for the plane, this is NOT the same he used in other photos and footage from the April 72 tour. The plane we see in "Elvis On Tour" is a Gulfstream II while the plane in the photos here probably is a Falcon 20.

I believe Doc could very well be right with April 17th leaving Jacksonville for Little Rock. I guess you got the date by comparing the clothes of the above mentioned in the photo to the On Tour footage.

In the opening scene we hear Jackie Kahane talking on stage in San Antonio while we see footage of Elvis arriving in his Red Matador suit along with Joe Esposito in his red T-shirt, Red West in his striped jacket with yellow shirt and Dick Grob in his tan-coloured jacket. Exact same clothes as in the two photos we're discussing.

Elvis used the Red Matador three times on the tour.
April 9 in Hampton but we have a phot of Elvis arriving in Hampton in different clothes so that's out of question.
Question is if the backstage footage in the film is from April 10 or April 17. We know that the April 10 show was indeed filmed but I don't know if we have any proof for the April 17 show being filmed.

Anyway, April 10 or April 17 most likely is the date for the photos.

Doc, if this was not how you dated the photos please tell us what other information you have.

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Brian, it was just my instincts at work. Thank you for your input -- as always!

Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:38 am

bripet56 wrote:I believe Doc could very well be right with April 17th leaving Jacksonville for Little Rock. I guess you got the date by comparing the clothes of the above mentioned in the photo to the On Tour footage.

In the opening scene we hear Jackie Kahane talking on stage in San Antonio while we see footage of Elvis arriving in his Red Matador suit along with Joe Esposito in his red T-shirt, Red West in his striped jacket with yellow shirt and Dick Grob in his tan-coloured jacket. Exact same clothes as in the two photos we're discussing.

Elvis used the Red Matador three times on the tour.
April 9 in Hampton but we have a phot of Elvis arriving in Hampton in different clothes so that's out of question.
Question is if the backstage footage in the film is from April 10 or April 17. We know that the April 10 show was indeed filmed but I don't know if we have any proof for the April 17 show being filmed.

Anyway, April 10 or April 17 most likely is the date for the photos.

Doc, if this was not how you dated the photos please tell us what other information you have.

Sincerely
Brian

Brian, I've never seen any footage or any photos from the Little Rock arrival, but Elvis' entire party stayed at what used to be called The Magnolia Inn; it was an older motor-inn-styled hotel just up Roosevelt Road from Barton Coliseum. They occupied the entire upper floor in the rear of the u-shaped motel hotel. We camped out at the place for a while before the concert, but the furor pretty well shut down the entire establishment.

I've got an "all access" tour of BC for me with the Arkansas State Fair Director when I can get the time away for a trip to LR; I'm hoping to make it there after the fair towards the end of the month. Hopefully then we will be able to figure out whether or not the arena arrival shown in the film's beginning is from LR or not.

There is a very brief distant shot (less than a second) at LR after taking the stage before the break to the light blue suit entrance from Hampton Roads. Then later there is also another clear short piece of a stage entrance in EOT that shows Elvis in the red suit, but the LR stage was accessed from the rear; I can't recall if the clear film sequence shows him coming onstage from the side or the rear.... no DVD here to check right quick, sorry. :(

Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:07 pm

FrankieRider2, thanks a lot for your input. It is, as always, much appreciated.

Let's hope that when we finally get On Tour on DVD they will include information as to where the different footage comes from. That would be a major help even though we know that many of the sequences were splices from different shows. At least we would, hopefully, be able to tell where the major part of the footage belongs.

Please do get back with info on the BC when you've had a tour and tell us if the back-stage footage in the Red Matador is from Little Rock or not.

Sincerely
Brian

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:11 am

Kris P wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:....... it was just my instincts at work.

Looks like your instincts are shooting about 50/50 on this one ...

You are, as is so often the case, mistaken, but it IS so flattering that you continue to follow my every word on this forum. Keep hitting that bookmark!