Post here your Elvis' pictures

When is this from please?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Image

Just wondering when and where this photo was taken?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:51 pm

It's the ending of Hurt in either Omaha, Nebraska on June 19th 1977, or 21st June 1977 in Rapid City.

I'm fairly sure its Omaha, but not 100%.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:59 pm

DarrylMac wrote:It's the ending of Hurt in Omaha, Nebraska on June 19th 1977, as filmed for the CBS TV special, Elvis In Concert.


Thank you Darryl. So this was part of his last concert, correct? Did Elvis ever see the footage they taped for the special? I know it aired after his death but was wondering if he was able to see it before he passed.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Well, it was from his last tour, but not the last concert, which was a few days later on June 26 in Indianapolis.

I'm not sure if he ever saw any of the footage before he passed away. I know that the producers of the show were hoping to film better shows later, to try and salvage something from the special, but once Elvis died, they seemed to put it together very quickly in an unflattering way and got it out ASAP.

I'll not start another discussion about whether the special deserves to be re-edited and released!!!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:05 pm

Here's a shot of the same moment, but this time, from Indianapolis, ie Elvis last concert.

Image

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:10 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Well, it was from his last tour, but not the last concert, which was a few days later on June 26 in Indianapolis.

I'm not sure if he ever saw any of the footage before he passed away. I know that the producers of the show were hoping to film better shows later, to try and salvage something from the special, but once Elvis died, they seemed to put it together very quickly in an unflattering way and got it out ASAP.

I'll not start another discussion about whether the special deserves to be re-edited and released!!!


I'm sorry.. I should've said last "tour".

I'm relatively new to the world of Elvis so I don't have any prior knowledge about the footage that was shot. You mentioned that the producers were hoping for something better... can you tell me what was wrong with what they already had? Was it bad in some way?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:24 pm

Well, it's all down to opinion. They filmed two shows. The first, in Omaha, was a very poor show. Elvis was slurring his words, didn't seem too steady on his feet, and apart from How Great Thou Art, which was very good, not much of the show was useable in the special. That left the Rapid City show a couple of days later. Elvis was in much better form, due in part to the fact he was on uppers rather than downers by all accounts. As such, most of the CBS Special came from the Rapid City show. There was good material left out, such as Tryin To Get To You from Rapid City, but still - as Jerry Hopkins said in his book, much of what was positive about Rapid City came from how much worse it could have been.

I don't know if they ever got as far as scheduling any further filming, or where it might have happened, but I always understood that was the intention.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:33 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Well, it's all down to opinion. They filmed two shows. The first, in Omaha, was a very poor show. Elvis was slurring his words, didn't seem too steady on his feet, and apart from How Great Thou Art, which was very good, not much of the show was useable in the special. That left the Rapid City show a couple of days later. Elvis was in much better form, due in part to the fact he was on uppers rather than downers by all accounts. As such, most of the CBS Special came from the Rapid City show. There was good material left out, such as Tryin To Get To You from Rapid City, but still - as Jerry Hopkins said in his book, much of what was positive about Rapid City came from how much worse it could have been.

I don't know if they ever got as far as scheduling any further filming, or where it might have happened, but I always understood that was the intention.


Thank you Darryl :wink:

Being new to the world of Elvis I haven't seen much live footage of him at all. Did you see this show? What were your personal thoughts?

I do wonder if Elvis ever saw parts of it. I wonder what he would've thought of it?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:34 pm

That Photo would make an Excellent Cover for an Album.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:36 pm

Vissie wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Well, it's all down to opinion. They filmed two shows. The first, in Omaha, was a very poor show. Elvis was slurring his words, didn't seem too steady on his feet, and apart from How Great Thou Art, which was very good, not much of the show was useable in the special. That left the Rapid City show a couple of days later. Elvis was in much better form, due in part to the fact he was on uppers rather than downers by all accounts. As such, most of the CBS Special came from the Rapid City show. There was good material left out, such as Tryin To Get To You from Rapid City, but still - as Jerry Hopkins said in his book, much of what was positive about Rapid City came from how much worse it could have been.

I don't know if they ever got as far as scheduling any further filming, or where it might have happened, but I always understood that was the intention.


Thank you Darryl :wink:

Being new to the world of Elvis I haven't seen much live footage of him at all. Did you see this show? What were your personal thoughts?

I do wonder if Elvis ever saw parts of it. I wonder what he would've thought of it?


Vissie .. You must get Yourself a Copy of The Star release Love Coming Down .. You will LOVE it!!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Little Darlin wrote:
Vissie wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Well, it's all down to opinion. They filmed two shows. The first, in Omaha, was a very poor show. Elvis was slurring his words, didn't seem too steady on his feet, and apart from How Great Thou Art, which was very good, not much of the show was useable in the special. That left the Rapid City show a couple of days later. Elvis was in much better form, due in part to the fact he was on uppers rather than downers by all accounts. As such, most of the CBS Special came from the Rapid City show. There was good material left out, such as Tryin To Get To You from Rapid City, but still - as Jerry Hopkins said in his book, much of what was positive about Rapid City came from how much worse it could have been.

I don't know if they ever got as far as scheduling any further filming, or where it might have happened, but I always understood that was the intention.


Thank you Darryl :wink:

Being new to the world of Elvis I haven't seen much live footage of him at all. Did you see this show? What were your personal thoughts?

I do wonder if Elvis ever saw parts of it. I wonder what he would've thought of it?


Vissie .. You must get Yourself a Copy of The Star release Love Coming Down .. You will LOVE it!!


Sounds like something I need to add to my wish list ;)

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:47 pm

Vissie wrote:I'm relatively new to the world of Elvis so I don't have any prior knowledge about the footage that was shot. You mentioned that the producers were hoping for something better... can you tell me what was wrong with what they already had?
Was it bad in some way?


You must be really new to the Elvis world !

In those June, 1977, shows, Elvis was in poor health and looked it.

Overweight, overmedicated, slurring his words at times, they just hoped that things would improve later in the year so they could shoot some better footage.

But, of course, the tour due to begin on 17th August never came to pass...........

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:52 pm

Vissie,

For me, there are some really nice performances over the 2 performaces, such as My Way, Hurt, Unchained Melody, How Great Thou Art and Tryin To Get To You, and as LD says, Love Coming Down is a great release if you've never seen any of it. You should at least see it once, which will allow you to make up your mind as to how you feel about.

There are some great little moments if you keep an eye out for them, which will make it worthwhile. There's a moment after he hits the higher note in Its Now Or Never in Rapid City, and he looks over at the backing singers, raising an eybrow, clearly pleased with himself. He's out there, trying his best, despite everything, and you gotta love him for that!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:05 pm

You must be really new to the Elvis world !

In those June, 1977, shows, Elvis was in poor health and looked it.

Overweight, overmedicated, slurring his words at times, they just hoped that things would improve later in the year so they could shoot some better footage.

But, of course, the tour due to begin on 17th August never came to pass...........


Colin, Elvis was before my time and so I never really knew him as an entertainer. Through one of my friends (a multiple Grammy winner who lived and worked in the world of Elvis) my interest was peaked. I am now very interested in all phases of Elvis.. as a person and as a performer.

Vissie,

For me, there are some really nice performances over the 2 performaces, such as My Way, Hurt, Unchained Melody, How Great Thou Art and Tryin To Get To You, and as LD says, Love Coming Down is a great release if you've never seen any of it. You should at least see it once, which will allow you to make up your mind as to how you feel about.

There are some great little moments if you keep an eye out for them, which will make it worthwhile. There's a moment after he hits the higher note in Its Now Or Never in Rapid City, and he looks over at the backing singers, raising an eybrow, clearly pleased with himself. He's out there, trying his best, despite everything, and you gotta love him for that!


I love the 70s Elvis and would love to see concert footage. I've seen Aloha from Hawaii and I truly enjoyed it. It's great fun learning all about this consummate entertainer!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:51 pm

It is indeed, a photo from Omaha, Nebraska! Shots from Rapid City, show red coloured rails supporting the upper level behind the stage! Hope this information helps! Cheers :lol:!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:56 pm

DarrylMac wrote:They filmed two shows. The first, in Omaha, was a very poor show. Elvis was slurring his words, didn't seem too steady on his feet, and apart from How Great Thou Art, which was very good, not much of the show was useable in the special. That left the Rapid City show a couple of days later. Elvis was in much better form, due in part to the fact he was on uppers rather than downers by all accounts. As such, most of the CBS Special came from the Rapid City show.

Do you think these should be officially released? Have we ever had a poll on this? This hasn't been discussed lately.

I think we should be told !

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:58 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:It is indeed, a photo from Omaha, Nebraska! Shots from Rapid City, show red coloured rails supporting the upper level behind the stage! Hope this information helps! Cheers :lol:!


Thank you funkyangel!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:05 pm

DarrylMac wrote:There are some great little moments if you keep an eye out for them, which will make it worthwhile. There's a moment after he hits the higher note in Its Now Or Never in Rapid City, and he looks over at the backing singers, raising an eybrow, clearly pleased with himself. He's out there, trying his best, despite everything, and you gotta love him for that!

One thing that has always stuck with me is the fact that you can see Charlie Hodge in the photograph pulling for Elvis to hit the high note on "Hurt." It is also quite visible in the film footage of the show.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Rob wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:There are some great little moments if you keep an eye out for them, which will make it worthwhile. There's a moment after he hits the higher note in Its Now Or Never in Rapid City, and he looks over at the backing singers, raising an eybrow, clearly pleased with himself. He's out there, trying his best, despite everything, and you gotta love him for that!

One thing that has always stuck with me is the fact that you can see Charlie Hodge in the photograph pulling for Elvis to hit the high note on "Hurt." It is also quite visible in the film footage of the show.


Charlie Hodge was a great and loyal friend. I'm sure he pulled for every note and stood by his main man, every show. We should all be so lucky as to have a friend like Charlie in our life.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:25 pm

Rob, there are loads of moments like this in Elvis shows - it makes them more special for me, as all of the people on stage had a great chemistry.

Watch EOT on Bridge Ove Troubles Water. When elvis hits the high note of Trou - bled water, Estelle leans off mike and shouts "Yeah!" to him! It's a great moment.

As for if I think there should be an official release, I say yes, but hope it doesn't open a can of worms!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:59 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Well, it's all down to opinion. They filmed two shows. The first, in Omaha, was a very poor show. Elvis was slurring his words, didn't seem too steady on his feet, and apart from How Great Thou Art, which was very good, not much of the show was useable in the special. That left the Rapid City show a couple of days later. Elvis was in much better form, due in part to the fact he was on uppers rather than downers by all accounts. As such, most of the CBS Special came from the Rapid City show. There was good material left out, such as Tryin To Get To You from Rapid City, but still - as Jerry Hopkins said in his book, much of what was positive about Rapid City came from how much worse it could have been.



In my opinion the rendition of How Great Thou Art from this concert is very much overpraised. It is indeed a high point in this show but it doesn’t make the rendition any better. As pointed before Elvis looks terrible on this show. I still can’t understand why on earth did the producers of the special use the Omaha version of Teddy Bear/ Don’t Be Cruel version instead of the Rapid City one. Actually I don’t understand why Trying To Get To You and If You Love Me were cut from the show in favor of the above-mentioned medley and let’s say Jailhouse Rock.

IMO the Rapid City concert is of a fine standard for 1976/1977 period (leaving aside the December 1976 shows which were extremely good). It is IMO better than many of the 1976 shows – like the Tuscaloosa show from August 30 or Lake Tahoe April 30 show just to name a couple which come immediately to my mind. On the other hand it is very painful to watch both shows especially the one from Omaha. But I think that every Elvis fan should see this at least once since it is a very important historic document for those who are truly interested in Elvis Presley.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:01 pm

Russian fan wrote: But I think that every Elvis fan should see this at least once since it is a very important historic document for those who are truly interested in Elvis Presley.


I hope I'm fortunate enough to see as much concert footage of Elvis that I can. I adore him.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:26 pm

Vissie wrote:
Russian fan wrote: But I think that every Elvis fan should see this at least once since it is a very important historic document for those who are truly interested in Elvis Presley.


I hope I'm fortunate enough to see as much concert footage of Elvis that I can. I adore him.


I hope I am too )))

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:53 am

Go to Youtube much of the 1977 special is on there. Personally I think vocally it's better then Aloha and I like the song selection better too. Yet Elvis in Aloha was in far better physical shape so it makes the 1977 a little more hard for some to see. I just try to look past Elvis' weight at that time and can see that he is trying his best, and vocally some of it is his best. The first show was below par, but the second was pretty good. Try to see from the Rapid City show See See Rider, That's All Right Mama (he has a ball on that one), Hurt, My Way, Early Morning Rain, I Reall Don't Want To Know, Trying To Get To You, and do not miss Unchained Melody. How Great is really the only GREAT moment in the Omaha concert.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:56 am

The last three shows were severely criticized by Elvis' own fans here. I will not go into the details again, I'll just state my personal opinion which I share with great number of other fans. Rapid City and Omaha shows were fantastic. The Indianapolis show in it's turn was a lot better than those two. Elvis' last concert was monumental. I enjoyed every minute.