Post here your Elvis' pictures

Paris candids

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:18 pm

Has everyone seen these photos?

I had to use my digital camera, scanner isn't working.

According to the caption taken backstage at the Lido in 1959. The man is the father of the figure skater in the next photo. The pictures must have been taken on diffrent days re:clothes.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:33 pm

The man next to Elvis seems to be gay.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:07 pm

No He's just as Happy as Larry because He met Elvis.

Thanks Melanie.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Narek wrote:The man next to Elvis seems to be gay.

So according to your judgement he is the gay father of the woman in the other photo?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:04 pm

Why bother if someone's gay? I hope that's something of no interest nowadays.

Joern

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:21 pm

He's gay in the morning at night he's still the same )))

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:36 pm

Great photos Melanie! Thanks for sharing these ;)

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:42 pm

What an ignorant comment. Honestly, please stop ruining threads with crap like this.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:10 pm

Melanie -- back on topic -- GREAT pictures!

If these are from the Lido, it is probably dates to the week in June 1959 he spent there, running through a entire chorus line (oh yes!) while staying at the Hotel Prince de Galles on the Champs Elysees. The Lido had to call him to return the girls he had "borrowed" in time for another performance.

Elvis made two more Parisian visits, the last in January 1960.

Brian P can you confirm?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Melanie -- back on topic -- GREAT pictures!

If these are from the Lido, it is probably dates to the week in June 1959 he spent there, running through a entire chorus line (oh yes!) while staying at the Hotel Prince de Galles on the Champs Elysees. The Lido had to call him to return the girls he had "borrowed" in time for another performance.

Brian P can you confirm?

It's my understanding Elvis appeared on stage as an unplanned act at the Lido in June, 1959 (he was on leave). Elvis played "Willow Weep for Me" on the piano. The chorus line he "borrowed" was the "Blue Bell" but, from what I recall, he returned them to their hotel before he hired a limo to take him back to the base.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:35 pm

there is a book issued in France in 1998 whose title is " elvis in paris" ( that was reissued this year by the french fan club elvis my happiness, BTW ) but i'm not absolutely SURE that those pictures over here were taken in paris, i may ask to french fans, but my guess is that they might be from a leave in germany, well, anyway, i have the book evlis in paris and those 2 are unknown to me...

re

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:55 pm

the man looks like the man near nancy holloway hereunder
http://nancyholloway.retrojeunesse60.com/photo44.htm

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:17 pm

Need to amend my previous post a bit ~

According to Guralnick:

- They stayed at the Prince de Galles (Prince of Wales) Hotel occupying a suite on the top floor.

- The name of the chorus line was the "Blue Belles".

- One night, the entire chorus line returned with Elvis and his entourage to the hotel. The next evening the manager of the Lido phoned at 9:30 pm saying he would like to "start the show" but needed the chorus (who were still with the boys in the hotel).

Great memory you have Dr. John ;) Kudos!

Re: re

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:34 pm

tcb4 wrote:the man looks like the man near nancy holloway hereunder

It's not the same guy -- that's famous French actor André Pousse.

André Pousse, Torrebruno, Nancy Holloway, Elvis
Backstage at the Moulin Rouge in Paris, June 14, 1959

Vissie wrote:Great memory you have Dr. John Wink Kudos!

Merci beaucoup!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: re

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
tcb4 wrote:the man looks like the man near nancy holloway hereunder

It's not the same guy -- that's famous French actor André Pousse.

André Pousse, unknown, Nancy Holloway, Elvis
Moulin Rouge, Paris, June 14, 1959

Vissie wrote:Great memory you have Dr. John Wink Kudos!

Merci beaucoup!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he might have been referring to the guy that's next to Nancy Holloway (on her right). André Pousse is the man who is at the far left of the photo (as you look at it).

They do look similar but I wouldn't be able to say if it was the same person in both photos.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Again, no. The kid in the group photo is at least 20 years younger. I just discovered he was the headliner at the Moulin Rouge, an Italian entertainer named Torrebruno. I have edited my comments above to reflect this!

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Doc wrote:
Brian P can you confirm?

Well Doc, as far as I know Elvis only made two visits to Paris. The first during the last two weeks of June 1959 and the second in the middle of January 1960. He also made visits to Munich where he visited the Moulin Rouge.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:20 pm

Here are the dates for the two visits in Paris:

First Paris visit (1959)
June 20th - went by train from Munich to Paris
June 27th - back home in Friedberg 8went by car)

Second Paris visit (1960)
January 12th – Elvis and his buddies arrived bytrain in Paris
January 20th – His train left at 10:05 p.m.

Mississippi

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:27 pm

I thought Elvis went to Paris on the 13th of June?

From about oldies.com

June 13: Elvis recieves a 15-day furlough and uses it to travel to Paris, ostensibly to meet film sexpot Brigitte Bardot. While there, he and his entourage take up a suite at the Prince De Galles Hotel (on the Champs Elysees) and visit the Moulin Rouge and also the Lido club, home of the famous dancers the Bluebell Girls. Elvis and company take some of the girls back to the hotel tonight, a practice they would continue throughout his leave.
June 20: The Lido club management calls Elvis' hotel and demands that his entire chorus line be returned in time for tonight's show.
June 22: Vernon Presley, Elvis' father, returns to Memphis with Davada "Dee" Stanley, his new flame (who is still married to an Army Sergeant stationed in Friedberg).

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:48 pm

According to http://www.elvisclubberlin.de/1959.htm Elvis arrived in Paris on June 16. In the evening he visited the Lido where he watched the show "Avec Plaisir!"
Later in the night he ended up in the "Le Ban Tue" where he and his entourage stayed untill the early morning returning to the hotel around 8 a.m.

During his visit to Paris Elvis also frequented "Folies-Bergéres," the "Moulin Rouge" and the "Carrousel" before heading back to Bad Nauheim on the 26th.

Elvis' January 1960 stay in Paris apparently took place from January 12 to January 18 according to an expence account (probably made out by Joe Esposito) in Day-By-Day

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:59 pm

From the wonderful book by Abdreas Knorr „The ultimate ELVIS IN MUNICH Book“:

June 12, 1959 Friday
Elvis arrived in Munich

June 15, 1959 (Monday)
Before Elvis and his entourage went on their onward journey to Paris in a private railroad car, a certain Hannelore Kran managed to get an interview with Elvis at he “Bayerischer Hof” hotel.

Sorry, that’s my fault: The train with Elvis arrived Paris on June 16, 1959 and not on June 20, 1959.

Mississippi

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:04 pm

Sorry, the author's name is ANDREAS ROTH and not Knorr.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:16 pm

"Then after 2 nights, it was off to Paris in a private train car where they were met on June 16 by Hill and Range cohead Jean Aberbach..."

Guralnick

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:17 pm

From the book by Jean-Marie POUZENC „Elvis à Paris“

Arrival: The group of buddie out on the town arrived via Gare de l’Est station on Tuedsay, January 12th.1960

Leaving: Wednesday, January 20th, 1960. His train left at 10:05 p.m. from Gare de l’Est station.

Mississippi

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:23 pm

The source for Guralnick's statement comes from..

"It was off to Paris: The primary sources here are interviews with Lamar Fike, Charlie Hodge and Freddy Bienstock; Mansfield, Elvis the Soldier; West et al., Elvis: What Happened? and Nash, Elvis Aaron Presley".

(Just an FYI.. I'm not personally concerned with what the date was. I'm just offering information that I have here in front of me) ;)