Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis -> Ready to Rock Ottawa!

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Has anyone seen this beautiful color image before?

It was apparently taken just before one of the two shows Elvis gave in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada on April 3, 1957.

It's the first time I've seen any detail of the pendant around his neck, evidently a favorite in the spring of 1957.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:00 pm

This is on the back cover of the cd A Canadian Tribute. But it is cropped and the quality is much worse. The photo you posted is brilliant. Thanks for posting it.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:06 pm

The fool wrote:This is on the back cover of the cd A Canadian Tribute. But it is cropped and the quality is much worse. The photo you posted is brilliant. Thanks for posting it.

My pleasure!

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:14 pm

Yes, I seen it a couple of weeks ago on Red Robinsons site along with another. I thought that was Vancouver though.

Nevermind, the guy with him was from Vancouver but they were taken in Ottawa.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:22 pm

Robinson's site identifies this fellow as Arni May, a drummer in one of the local opening acts.

Of course, Red also says that Bill and Scotty were members of the Jordanaires, Elvis' backing band, bless his heart.

Too bad Red apparently lost his August 31, 1957 recording of the Vancouver show.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:45 pm

I introduced Joe Pirzada to Red Robinson at the last man standing show last month. I told Joe that Red was asking about the recent Tupelo DVD release and he came back with a complete MRS set for him.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:40 pm

Doc and JamesVRoy, I only have one word to say:

WOW

I had seen Doc's pic in the cropped version but this is just brilliant. And James, my friend, first time I see a colour photo from backstage in Ottawa. Simply pure magic.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
(1971 and 1973 tours uploaded)

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:43 pm

Doh!!! I should've at least included the link to Red's site where we got them
http://www.redrobinson.com/

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:48 pm

Thanks for the link James. I wanted to ask but forgot to.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
(1971 and 1973 tours uploaded)

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:57 am

James -

Thanks for the URL. The Ottawa portraits were sent from a good friend, and I did not know their origin. Thank you Red Robinson!

Thanks

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:47 am

These photos are stunning!

Thanks a lot, this picture site is 'cooking' ladies and gents.
Thank you all.

It is a joy to see all these interesting stories and pictures.

Cheers
Simon

Re: Thanks

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:48 am

Simon1 wrote:It is a joy to see all these interesting stories and pictures.

Thanks!! I do what I can!

Hi

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:53 am

Being a fan in 2007 still brings much pleasure.

I never would have imagined way back in 1977 we would be having such a 'party' in 2007, with new pics on a nearly daily basis and new footage and new recordings still coming out.

What a joy!

Cheers
Simon

Re: Hi

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:30 am

Simon1 wrote:Being a fan in 2007 still brings much pleasure.

I never would have imagined way back in 1977 we would be having such a 'party' in 2007, with new pics on a nearly daily basis and new footage and new recordings still coming out.

What a joy!

It IS kind of amazing, isn't it?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:45 am

Not sure I've seen or noticed that pendant before....looks a lot like the later ones....kinda out of place for this early on. Any story on it?

Great colored pic either way.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:12 am

davidtcb1 wrote:Not sure I've seen or noticed that pendant before....looks a lot like the later ones....kinda out of place for this early on. Any story on it?

Great colored pic either way.

He's wearing it in that picture from backstage at the Tupelo show in Memphis in September.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:24 am

quote]

He's wearing it in that picture from backstage at the Tupelo show in Memphis in September.[/quote]

Yes, hadn't put those two together.

Re: Hi

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:47 am

Simon1 wrote:Being a fan in 2007 still brings much pleasure. I never would have imagined way back in 1977 we would be having such a 'party' in 2007, with new pics on a nearly daily basis and new footage and new recordings still coming out.

Much agreed. Elvis himself would have never believed it.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:03 am

I met Arni May in Vancouver a couple of years ago - he owns a restaurant there. We ended up talking for more than three hours; he's quite a character!
He had nothing but nice things to say about EP, but he was clearly not an admirer of the Colonel. He was kind enough to give me a copy of the aforementioned CD as well as a few photos, including the one that you see here.
Arni also wanted me to meet Red Robinson, but unfortunately there wasn't any time as we had to leave the next day.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:36 am

Rock Legend wrote:I met Arni May in Vancouver a couple of years ago - he owns a restaurant there. We ended up talking for more than three hours; he's quite a character!
He had nothing but nice things to say about EP, but he was clearly not an admirer of the Colonel. He was kind enough to give me a copy of the aforementioned CD as well as a few photos, including the one that you see here.
Arni also wanted me to meet Red Robinson, but unfortunately there wasn't any time as we had to leave the next day.

Ironically I met Arni May back in 2003 as well we spoke only for a few minutes, but he also gave me a wallet size version of the photo posted above, which at the time I was so exicted and thank ful for about getting it because I hadn't seen it before, but like an idoit I put it in my top shirt pocket that day and forgot I had the picture in my shirt and my wife washed the shirt with the picture still in the pocket of the shirt when we got home. So I just got to say I'm happy this picture was posted here, as I could not remember his name as he wrote his name on the picture he gave me or I would have tried to contact him, anyway this made my day, thanks for posting the picture Jim :wink:

By the way what other pictures did Arni May have Rock legend?

I remember he had this one above in different sizes, but I didn't recall he had anymore different ones with him, the different pictures you mention were they more of him with Elvis or just Elvis out of curiosity sake?

PEP 8)

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:19 am

Every picture I've ever seen of Elvis's trip to Canada, he looked stunning. Thanks again Doc!

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Elvis was a Beautiful sight from Boy to Man. As it's been said already I can only repeat....that first photo is Stunning.

Re: Elvis -> Ready to Rock Ottawa!

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Has anyone seen this beautiful color image before?

It was apparently taken just before one of the two shows Elvis gave in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada on April 3, 1957.

It's the first time I've seen any detail of the pendant around his neck, evidently a favorite in the spring of 1957.

What a great shot of Elvis from my hometown - thanks Doc 8)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... tawa1.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... tawa4.html

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:33 am

JamesVRoy wrote:I introduced Joe Pirzada to Red Robinson at the last man standing show last month. I told Joe that Red was asking about the recent Tupelo DVD release and he came back with a complete MRS set for him.

Maybe Joseph can make some new enquiries now and get a complete 1957 show on audio - Who knows?

If anyone can - Judging by the 1956 Tupelo footage - And if any audio exists - I'm sure Joseph will find it!

Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:07 am

It was indeed wonderful when audio from both Tupelo Benefit shows in 1956 was issued in October 1984 on Elvis - A Golden Celebration (RCA CPM6-5172).

How then-RCA Presley producer Joan Deary found those tapes, I do not recall, but we all owe her a huge debt of gratitude.