Post here your Elvis' pictures

Really Cool 50's Pic!

Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:45 am

This is Elvis in the lobby of the Warwick Hotel:

I love this picture -- the hair, the clothes, the pose, the look, the leaflet . . . THE ATTITUDE.

It comes from here: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... 66,00.html

Credit to Ben Mancuso / Timelife

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:24 am

This is probably from the afternoon of July 1, 1956, either before or after his rehearsal for the Steve Allen Show that night.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:39 am

Much appreciated, Doc!

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:02 am

You are welcome, Cryo.

However, the amazing Brian P should confirm this date.

Brian ???

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi Doc,

the correct date is: Janaury 5th, 1957

Mississippi

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:28 pm

Nice one, Mississippi!

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:07 am

Cryogenic wrote:Nice one, Mississippi!

Nice, but I'd get a confirmation from Brian if I were you.

really cool

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:36 am

... will you take MY word for it , doc?
Its january 5, or 6 , 1957. I have several photos where he's
wearing the shirt and jacket, talking to the press, in NY, around
the time of the 3rd Sullivan show. One well known photo, in this
outfit, is the one kneeling down next to a little girl, for a March
of Dimes publicity shot. Mississippi was right.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Sorry, didn't have time to answer this thread last night but Mississippi and Tallhair are the closest on this one.

I'd say the photos are from January 6, 1957. See, on January 4th Elvis had done his army examination in the early afternoon and at 6:30 p.m. his guest Dorothy Harmony left for Los Angeles. Later in the evening or in the early morning of January 5th Elvis boarded a train for New York. Back then such a trainride took somewhere in the vicinity of 24 hours.

According to Movie Stars Parade from April 1957 Elvis arrived in New York shortly after 6 a.m. which would be January 6th unless there was a train-route that would take him from Memphis to New York in 12 hours. His ride from New York to Memphis in July 1956 took 27 hours so I doubt the trainride could have taken less than half the time.

After appearing on the Ed Sullivan show Elvis took a night-train back to Memphis to celebrate his 21st birthday before heading out to Hollywood to film Loving You. So I'd say all the photos in connection with this visit to New York would be from January 6th.

Here's a few photos from Elvis' stay in New York on January 6.
Arriving at Penn Station:

Checking into the hotel:

Checking the movie magazines:

With March of Dimes girl Joanne Wilson:

Waiting for the elevator:

I know that Elvis wears a black and a white shirt in the photos but it happened on more than one occasion that he changed clothes during the day, especially on such a day with interviews, March of Dimes visit, rehearsals and a lot more.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
(1971 and 1973 tours uploaded)

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:51 pm

bripet56 wrote: After appearing on the Ed Sullivan show Elvis took a night-train back to Memphis to celebrate his 21st birthday before heading out to Hollywood to film Loving You. So I'd say all the photos in connection with this visit to New York would be from January 6th.

That would have been his 22nd birthday, of course. :wink:

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:20 pm

THAIR, I didn't disbelieve MI, I just wanted Brian to weigh in, as he is a King when it comes to dating and placing vintage Elvis images.

It was either July 1 or June 29, 1956, or January 5, 1957. Thanks to you guys, we have a winner, Cryo!

Brian, this photo you posted is clearly taken seconds before or after the one which began this topic ->

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:32 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:
[/quote]That would have been his 22nd birthday, of course.

Man, what a bummer. Of course it would have been his 22nd birthday. Thanks for correcting me.

Doc wrote:
Brian, this photo you posted is clearly taken seconds before or after the one which began this topic

Yeah Doc, it would appear so but if you look at the background in the mirrow it is very different in both photos. Probably another mirror at the hotel but most definitely very close to each other.

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:11 pm

Sorry, Brian,

Lee Cotten wrote (Elvis day by day) on page 123:

Jan 5 (Sat.) Elvis’ train arrived in New York City at 6:20 am. After resting at the Warwick Hotel…..

You write Elvis arrived in New York City one day later. What’ll be the wright date now?

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:04 pm

I'd go with Brian's date.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:28 pm

Mississippi wrote:
Lee Cotten wrote (Elvis day by day) on page 123:
Jan 5 (Sat.) Elvis’ train arrived in New York City at 6:20 am. After resting at the Warwick Hotel…..
You write Elvis arrived in New York City one day later. What’ll be the wright date now?

Well Mississippi, as I wrote earlier MY guess is January 6th as Elvis was at home in Memphis in the evening of January 4th and unless there was a train-route that would take him to New York in less than 12 hours back in 1957 he couldn't possibly make it to New York on the 5th.

His trainride from N.Y. to memphis in July 1956 took around 27 hours and I doubt he could have made in it less than half the time.

Sincerely
Brian

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi Brian,

many thanks for this statement. Now I know for certain the exact day Elvis arrived in New York was January 6th, 1957.

Mississippi

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:42 pm

bripet56 wrote:Well Mississippi, as I wrote earlier MY guess is January 6th as Elvis was at home in Memphis in the evening of January 4th and unless there was a train-route that would take him to New York in less than 12 hours back in 1957 he couldn't possibly make it to New York on the 5th.

His trainride from N.Y. to memphis in July 1956 took around 27 hours and I doubt he could have made in it less than half the time.

Brian "Sherlock Holmes" Petersen strikes again! :D :shock:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks guys, I try to do my best. Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes I'm not. :lol:

I've been proven wrong in here some times and I still love learning after being an Elvis-fan since the early 60s.

But this is why we're here. To discuss Elvis and hopefully get some great photos dated at the same time and read some good stories from time gone by.

Sincerely
Brian

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:04 am

I just want to give a big shout-out to everyone -- especially Brian! A HUGE "thank you", guys! Another little mystery has been solved. Brian, I echo your sentiments. If I had more knowledge and could assume the role of detective, then I would. It blows my mind to know that there are others who can and do. Awesome, fellas!

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:04 pm

He was just sooo sexy...