Post here your Elvis' pictures

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:36 pm

James, I'm so glad I read your last post before answering because I was gonna tell you that Elvis was in Memphis on January 8th. He left Memphis on the 9th and arrived in Hollywood on the 11th.

I don't know if these photos will help any but here we go:
April 1 in Buffalo:

April 3 in Ottawa:

April 5 in Philly:

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
(1971 and 1973 tours uploaded)

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Yup, as I guessed, looks like he used the L5 for that whole series of shows. Not sure why, maybe he wasn't quire used to the Super 400, its larger and or it might not have been set up to his liking. I'll have to ask him about it but I don't have great expectations that he'll remember.
THe shots I checked last night from Radio Recorders in January (maybe February) show him with the L5 also.

January 57 L5

May 57 Super 400

http://scottymoore.net/studio_radiorecorders.html

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:35 pm

All 1957 performances where Elvis was wearing the gold suit or parts of this one had been booked by Australian promotor LEE GORDON. Are there pictures showing Elvis and Lee Gordon together?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:40 pm

Sorry,

there’s one mistake. Lee Gordon didn’t book the September 27th, 1957 show.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:55 pm

What a great topic thanks for starting this one Doc
and all the rest of you for participating

I just adore the pictures specially the second one from Doc´s very first post.

I love all 3 decades of elvis career

But There is simple nothing more cool than Elvis in the 50´s

This is great ,this is exciting,This is Elvis

And yeah to hear a full show from 57 whatever the sound quality
would be mindblowing

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:29 pm

R.R.D wrote:What a great topic thanks for starting this one Doc
and all the rest of you for participating

I just adore the pictures specially the second one from Doc´s very first post.

I love all 3 decades of elvis career

But There is simple nothing more cool than Elvis in the 50´s

This is great ,this is exciting,This is Elvis

And yeah to hear a full show from 57 whatever the sound quality
would be mindblowing

Thanks man! This is what it is ALL about.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:43 am

The pics in this thread deserves to be at the top of this page! Yeah, thats why I´m commenting ...

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:52 pm

Those pics are sooooooooooooooo 8) great! Thanks everyone!

O.S.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:07 am

Old Shep wrote:Those pics are sooooooooooooooo 8) great!

You are most welcome! Hopefully, I will have more to add in the near future. THIS is what it is all about!

Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:04 am

the doc wrote: "You are most welcome! Hopefully, I will have more to add in the near future. THIS is what it is all about!"

Thanx, doc! These are the great moments to be an Elvis fan. Like watching Tupelo´s Own for the first time.

O.S.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:09 am

Old Shep wrote:Thanx, doc! These are the great moments to be an Elvis fan. Like watching Tupelo´s Own for the first time.

Or -- even better -- getting the triple DVD set of the Ed Sullivan shows for about $20.00 USD with a booklet, and enjoying all three Presley guest spots, complete -- and in the finest-ever quality, thanks to Kevin Segura's amazing Live Feed Video Imaging restoration process.

Just imagine if he gets assigned to do the same for the 1956 Dorsey, Berle and Allen appearances -- talk about great moments!

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:21 pm

The Doc wrote: "Or -- even better -- getting the triple DVD set of the Ed Sullivan shows for about $20.00 USD with a booklet, and enjoying all three Presley guest spots, complete -- and in the finest-ever quality, thanks to Kevin Segura's amazing Live Feed Video Imaging restoration process.
Just imagine if he gets assigned to do the same for the 1956 Dorsey, Berle and Allen appearances -- talk about great moments!"

Doc, you´re absolutely right - as always!
I would prefer a DVD box set with the complete 50´s TV appearances, all filmed 50´s homemovies and live appearances, news clips etc in the best possible quality, but that is (of course) a dream project. That would be the hell of a seller on the whole planet! It would storm the DVD charts everywhere...

O.S.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 am

Old Shep wrote:I would prefer a DVD box set with the complete 50´s TV appearances, all filmed 50´s homemovies and live appearances, news clips etc in the best possible quality, but that is (of course) a dream project. That would be the hell of a seller on the whole planet! It would storm the DVD charts everywhere...

Such an occurrence is far more than a dream, it is a distinct impossibility.

But a DVD set rounding up the 1956 Dorsey, Berle and Allen appearances -- and perhaps the 1960 Sinatra special as a bonus -- all restored by Segura's LFVI technology would be remarkable, wouldn't it?

It could fit on two discs and enable a fan to have every Presley TV appearance from 1956 to 1973 in great quality.

Otherwise, your enthusiasm is quite a sight to behold.

Different show

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:04 am

From a different show but the same decor, thought you might like it.

Cheers
Simon

Re: Different show

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:58 am

Simon1 wrote:From a different show but the same decor, thought you might like it.

This is from the evening show in Seattle, the same day as Tacoma, 9-1-57.

You should post this image in the topic by JamesVRoy-- it is a bigger version of the snap he posted! ->

Here's one from Seattle in 57 I don't recall seeing

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:28 am

JUst wanted to drop in and say, This thread is AWESOME :!:

Thanks so much for everyone's informative contribution(s) and to the Doc for creating it ... :D

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:30 am

minkahed wrote:JUst wanted to drop in and say, This thread is AWESOME :!:

Thanks so much for everyone's informative contribution(s) and to the Doc for creating it ... :D

Thanks.

Hopefully, I can create similar topics in the future.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:01 pm

great post !

drjohncarpenter wrote: Winters: “At one point, he stepped off the stage onto the ground, and a girl scooped up the dirt where he had stepped and put it into her purse!”

Meyer (photographed scooping Elvis dirt by The News Tribune): “They had a barricade set up in the front, and they had some young men in black pants and white shirts. And for some reason my girlfriend and I went right through the barricades. And what I was doing when they took that picture was I was picking up some dirt from where he walked for a girl who was on the other side of the barricades. She had a baby food jar.”

Here is that picture:

And another one :

Little Darlin wrote:Loved the Fans comments too. Wonderful Memories for them right there. More Please!!!

Here's another review by Don Duncan :

Do I remember Elvis Presley’s visit to Lincoln Bowl in 1957? How could I forget?

Among the 6,000 people in Lincoln Bowl when Elvis made his first appearance in the Pacific Northwest were two young employees of The Tacoma News Tribune – Wayne Zimmerman, photographer, and Don Duncan, a general-assignment reporter who had cleverly switched days off with the paper’s newest reporter so he could do the story.

Because Elvis and his high-powered agent, Col. Tom Parker, were moving on to Seattle later in the day, we were the only news representatives on hand. “Media” had yet to be invented.

The air was electric as the crowd, many on folding chairs, awaited Elvis’s arrival. Many of the young women seemed to be in a state of near-delerium, not unlike the bobby soxers who swooned over a bow-tied Frank Sinatra in the ‘40s. Many of the older members in the audience (I was then 31), were in a show-me mode.

Elvis was fresh off the Ed Sullivan show, where he’d been photographed from the waist up, to protect America’s youth from his pelvic gyrations and, perhaps, little old ladies from leaving their husbands. How humorous it all seems in retrospect. Elvis’s pelvic thrusts are tame compared with the routines of today’s junior-high cheer leaders.

As I recall, Elvis entered from a trailer parked next to the stage. He bounded on the stage with athletic grace and caressed the microphone, which was mounted on a tall pole. A chorus of high-pitched shrieks welled up from the audience, swelling to near vocal pandemonium at times, not ending until Elvis left the stage half-an-hour later.

Elvis had his trademark sideburns, and was dressed in tight-fitting black pants, a dark shirt unbuttoned to the breastbone and a sequined gold jacket. He lightly ran his fingers over the strings of the guitar slung over his shoulder. I don’t think he played more than a couple of chords during the performance, leaving the heavy work for his band. When a girl a few feet away let loose an ear-splitting scream, Elvis curled his lip and flashed that familiar pouty smile.

“I’ll take care of you later, baby,” he said. And “baby” led another chorus of screams. He was, after all, only 22 and unattached, and one couldn’t blame a girl for fantasizing.

Enough foreplay. Elvis began to sing in a pleasant baritone. As he did so, he began a slow rhythmic movement in his pelvic region. His legs began to vibrate, and his upper torso alternately swayed and shimmied. The man oozed s-e-x appeal at a time when that three-letter word rarely was spoken in polite society.

Elvis sang at least a dozen songs. Among them: “Heartbreak Hotel,” “Don’t Be Cruel,” “I Want You, I Need You, I Love You,” before climaxing the show with a frenetic, whirling-dervish rendition of what he called “The Elvis Presley National Anthem.”

Everyone knew what was coming, but by the time he was halfway through the first verse – “Hew hain’t nuthin’ but a houn’ dog, cry-hy-in all the time. . .” pandemonium reigned. Elvis strutted like a duck, hands dangling loosely in front of him. He fell to his knees in an attitude of prayer, taking the slender microphone pole with him. And he concluded with a burst of shimmying that left him limp, his black hair hanging over his eyes, sweat poring from his pancake makeup.

Elvis leaped from the stage like a gymnast and bolted into a waiting limousine, which pulled away in a cloud of dust.

Girls, pulling unwilling boys by the hand, rushed to the place where he had stood and scooped up dirt, which they poured into their purses. Then these wives and mothers of the future raced off to buy Elvis Presley memorabilia. Do they still have it? One can only wonder.

When Elvis left, the spell was broken. I realized that I – despite my vows of impartiality – had been totally captivated by what I had seen and had made only a few scribblings on my notepad. Not to worry, Wayne, toting his heavy Speed Graphic camera, and I, with my near-empty notepad, were soon approached by a man in a big cowboy hat and a huckster’s smile to match.

“Hi boys! Col. Tom Parker’s the name. Elvis’s agent. You want an interview?” We nodded. “Well, soon as he showers and changes clothes he’ll be with you.”

The cowboy hat seemed to fit Parker. So did “colonel.” Some years later we learned that Elvis’s svengali had been born in The Netherlands, christened Andreas Cornelius van Kuijk, and had acquired the honorary “colonel” title from the governor of Louisiana. He had made his first fortune selling Hadacol, a patent medicine favored by many a Women’s Christian Temperance Union devotee until she learned that the reason it made her feel so good was its main ingredient – alcohol.

Elvis arrived shortly, as promised. Up close, he was even better-looking than on stage. Trim, about six-feet tall and looking very comfortable in a casual blue shirt, dark slacks and loafers, he shook hands firmly and was the essence of Southern politeness, prefacing or ending each statement with “Suh.”

Wayne and I had expected a rock star. We found ourselves with a young gentleman straight out of “Gone With the Wind.”

Yes, he’d played a little football in high school, Suh. Modest chuckle. Third-string!

Yes, he’d grown up singing gospel songs in the Baptist Church, and it had influenced his singing style. The image of pelvic gyrations in the choir loft made us all smile.

Oh yes, it was true that he liked to collect things. So far, four Cadillacs, a Messerschmidt, a Lincoln, a Mark II and two motorcycles. Again, the aw-shucks smile, followed by “I’m also trying to save my money.”

Being a patriotic young man, Elvis said, he would go into the military service if his nation called. (True to his words, he did go into the Army in 1960, an event memorialized in the Broadway musical Bye Bye, Birdie.

Did it bother Elvis that Ed Sullivan had chosen to film him above the waist during his recent appearance on the show? Answer: “I’d never do anything to shame my mutha, Suh!”

The last quote would be the one I took from the interview and still repeat at dinner parties. The truth is, I think he tried to live up to it.

Before long, Wayne was busy shooting pictures of young ladies flocking around Elvis. One wanted his signature on her forehead, vowing never to wash her face again. When Col. Parker asked if I wanted my picture taken with Elvis, I was tempted. But, fearing that fellow reporters would laugh, I declined.

Back in the old TNT newsroom on St. Helen’s, I wrote my story on another antiquity, a Royal typewriter. The next day Catherine Hunt, a fellow reporter, brought me a cheap purple sofa pillow bearing a photograph of Elvis and a guitar, along with his printed signature. She also handed me a 45 rpm. recording of Hound Dog on the A-side, Heartbreak Hotel on the flip side. I still have both pillow and record.

I saw Elvis second-hand a few years later, when they were filming “Take Me to the Fair,” during Seattle’s ’62 World’s Fair. There was one interview with a pretty young Seattle girl he “dated” for the week. As I recall, she got to sit with him on a sofa, watch TV and eat popcorn and drink root beer, while half-a-dozen of his bodyguards/hangers-on stood nearby. The other interview was with a 70-year-old woman, Patricia Maude Patterson, who headed one of the world-wide Presley fan clubs. She had taken care of him when he was a small boy in Mississippi and she invited him to her Queen Anne home, “where I played the piano and he sang for me.”

Funny thing about “looking back” stories. Post-Watergate only 20 percent of the voters admitted voting for Richard Nixon although he’d been elected by a landslide in the last election. Same with Elvis. If all the people who say they were in Lincoln Bowl that day in ’57 showed up, they’d probably fill three Lincoln Bowls.

Well, I really didn’t vote for Nixon. And I really did see Elvis

Source: Tacoma News Tribune

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Wonderful!

This is why You are missed when You don't post E-Cat .. Between You, the Doc, N8, Brian P and James V Roy...there is always something Fascinating to Read and Look at to do with Elvis History.

Thank You very much.

The Girl picking up the Dirt where Elvis had walked .. I would have done exactly the same thing.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:19 pm

Little Darlin wrote:Wonderful! - This is why You are missed when You don't post E-Cat ..

Thanks again for the nice words...

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:26 pm

Thanks for posting E-cat.

that second pic is simple awsome,never seen that one

Elvis and the band is a little fuzzy and blurry but just and amazing picture anyway.

oh to have a recording of this show in any quality audio

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:50 pm

E-Cat wrote:great post !

And another one :

Amazing. Check out the two booster capinets like Scotty's echosonic on either end of the stage. Great shot!. I sense another page for the site due YOU BASTAGES!!!!! :D

Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:53 am

Kris P wrote:May I mention Keith Flynn, PEP, unclefester, Piers, Funkyangel, likethebike, Pete Dube, Ger Rijff, Juan and all the other contributors to this message board...your effforts are appreciated, by most.

I second that. This is one of the few places left on the web I frequent. The input and contributions from everyone here make it well worth the visit. The pictures, the information and inspiration...

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:11 am

Not an Exclusive Club Kris P ..more like so many Names and so Little time.

Besides the People you mentioned in Your Post know exactly what I think of Their contribution to the Board as I often tell them.

I Apologise to Everyone I offended by My Post .. certainly wasn't intentional at all.

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:33 pm

You offended no one Little Darlin', manners are always in style!

Hats off to ya E-Cat, for the shot from afar, shows what Elvis meant when stated he had played fairs,barns ect. while on stage in the '70's..
..and da reviews you posted are just awesome..

Brings GOOD STUFF to the message board,from you and ALL the above mentioned members.
as well as a couple not mention..
Great things to see and read and learn....
A outstanding thread!