Post here your Elvis' pictures

RE: recent Elvis On Tour Opening Arrival discussion

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:42 am

Funky, you may vaguely remember a discussion we had fairly recently about the opening arrival sequence in EOT being from the 4/17/72 concert in Little Rock, AR or not....

I received this email reply today totally out of the blue:

<< I was going through files and found this email from you. I don't have confirmation that you received a reply. I'm contacting you in case you did not.

We do not have scheduled tours; however, I would be glad to give you a tour of Barton Coliseum. Please check our website http://www.arkanasasstatefair.com for a schedule of events.

If you plan to be in the Little Rock area, please call me and if the Coliseum is not being used, I will be glad to give you a tour. We have a picture in our Administration office of the Fair sign for Elvis' April 17, 1972, sold out concert if you would like to see it.

Meri Smith

Director of Events & Facilities
Arkansas State Fair Complex
2600 Howard Street
Little Rock, AR 72206
>>

I believe I'll be making that call soon....
:lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:58 am

How many quarters do you need, Frankie?! :lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:29 pm

I have some internal shots from the TH BARTON COLISEUM, I took them last year while visitng the state fair (2006).
I also visited the ROBINSON MEMORIAL AUDITORIUM.

My wife went nuts because we were in LITTLE ROCK and all I wanted to see was the places Elvis played :roll:

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:54 pm

Well, what are you waiting for? This is the PICTURE section.... :lol:

You might save me a trip.... but somehow I think not. :D

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 am

I could possibly make the trip in a couple of weeks too :wink: :D

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 am

Bingo, baby.... that's the old Coliseum floor itself. At least Elvis didn't have to follow the cows like he did in Houston in '70 when he came in '72.... :lol:

I haven't been there since probably the mid 1990s myself.... Alltel Arena pretty much took ALL the business after it opened.

The last concert I saw there was Richard Marx in the mid 1990s at the State Fair. Outside of Elvis, one of the best concerts I ever saw. He did a small "Elvis set" as well on acoustic guitar.... his version of CHFIL was the best I've ever heard it done by another performer. Just the singer, the guitar, and the spotlight.... still gives me a start to think about it.

Great shots....

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:26 am

Awes :shock: me!

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:42 pm

Guys, I've not even bothered looking up the old thread so I do not know just what you were looking out for....... BUT...... happy to be of service to fellow fans of the man. :wink: :D :lol: 8)

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:17 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:Guys, I've not even bothered looking up the old thread so I do not know just what you were looking out for....... BUT...... happy to be of service to fellow fans of the man. :wink: :D :lol: 8)

I don't completely remember the entire thread either, but one item I remember us discussing was: you never actually see Elvis getting out of his limo in the opening arrival sequence during Kahane's monologue. You just see the car pull in, and the the scene breaks off to show Elvis coming around an open door into a backstage dressing room.

So that makes it difficult to place to actual arrival footage as being from Little Rock or from another venue. Isn't that about right, funky?

I've got to try and locate some screen captures of this sequence before I go down there to compare views to; I don't have EOT on any form of DVD myself. I tried to copy the VHS with my DVD recorder but it refused me. AARRGGHH! :lol:

Still, thanks again for the great images.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Yes, that is correct, Frankie! Little Rock backstage sequences were spread over EOT, notably during the opening scenes and subsequently, during the closing credits! Little Rock also represents the first time we see (and hear) Presley backstage @ on the road, during the seventies! So much of Little Rock' backstage scenes have not been seen, as Jerry Schilling is clearly seen with and without his jacket on! Maybe resurrecting this post might award us all with new information in relation to the subject matter! How far's Jackie and don't slam the door as we came over too soon! Cheers :lol:!

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:32 pm

I am CERTAIN that the scene where Charlie is telling Elvis "it's a low stage and the lights are low, darn near right in your eyes" IS backstage at T H BARTON COLESIUM.
The walls that I viewed inside the arena are the same large block type and colour (even now) that you see in the backstage room in EOT.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:14 pm

I have EOT on DVD. If Someone tells me exactly where on the Movie You are talking about I can take some Screenshots.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:51 pm

Did these anyway

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:56 pm

Little Darlin wrote:I have EOT on DVD. If Someone tells me exactly where on the Movie You are talking about I can take some Screenshots.

Oooo, jealous.... :oops:

The opening of the movie when Jackie Kahane is doing his "sex symbol for the Medicare group" bit is about where I need, I think. There'll be some footage of the limousine pulling inside the venue, but you never see Elvis get out. I need shots of that wide-angle look so you can see the building behind and around the car to compare that against the current appearance of the Coliseum inside the delivery doors.

Back to EOT....

Then Elvis and his group will round an open door into a backstage dressing room and stay there until he goes to the stage. Since the screwup on arrival timing, he was backstage for quite a long time (for him). This is inherently funny to me because the motor inn where the entourage stayed is only about a mile from Barton Coliseum.

This extended period of time would easily account for the views of Schilling with and without his jacket. If you take into account that part of Kahane's routine still remained, plus the intermission period (usually around 15 minutes that I recall) that had not yet occurred.... Elvis could have been in the building for 20-30 minutes before he took the stage. He was probably about to go stir-crazy....

As for the backstage views, I'd just like to have any wide-angle shots that show the decor and/or layout of the dressing room itself so I can use them again for a comparison to the appearance today. I believe there is evidence of football/basketball-style stall lockers along the walls seen, for instance, where Elvis reaches up to stretch and loosen up. Anything from this stretch of the movie that shows any type of room detail would be wonderful.

The LR preshow footage ends as Elvis takes the stage at a distance in low light after going through the swinging curtain; IIRC, you get a split second image of him higher than everything else before the footage breaks to the entrance from Hampton Roads. I'm not sharp enough to recall the other bits that Funky mentioned. :oops:

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:59 pm

BINGO on the first three images..... but the fourth one is a different location. I'm not even sure what is going on in the last one. :oops:

Those are great, though.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:02 pm

OK Give me an Hour or So will see if I can get them done.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:39 am

Lamar as some kind of lighting director, yeah right.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:42 am

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 am

YOWZA! Perfect.... thanks so much, LD. Those images are just what I was needing to see.

Robert, you know how Lamar was central to every significant thing that happened in Elvis' life or his career.... c'mon, give the guy a little credit!

On second thought, if he was in charge of that horrendous flashing blue light during "Suspicious Minds" on the Aloha show.... he should have been taken out and shot on the spot. :lol:

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:00 am

YOWZA LOL!!! I love that word. You are welcome...it got me out of doing the Ironing :wink:

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:08 am

For all we know, the footage of Presley coming through the roller doors, could be from San Antonio! I wonder if the limo footage is from two nights! Obviously, the start of the limo footage is from Presley leaving somewhere? Is it to a show, or perhaps to an airport!!!!? Jackie' crappy dialoque about the medicare group pertains to San Antonio!