Post here your Elvis' pictures

1957 Black Electra-Glide FLH model Harley!

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:25 am

This is the first time I've seen this bad-ass image uncropped -- my guess is it was taken circa March 1957.

The fellows behind the 1957 Black Electra-Glide FLH model Harley-Davidson? Perhaps the salespeople?

Brian P., do you know more? It certainly looks like the Audubon house.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:59 am

Funny you should bring that up

It is the Audubon House and that's not a complete uncropping
See the pic here http://scottymoore.net/elvisharley.html

That's Big Al and Mr B behind him, the owners of Al's Cycle

I'm just finishing up the followup page from the Delivery of the bikes last week and am planning one about his first one, the 56 KH in the garage seen over his shoulder.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:08 am

aw heck,
Here's the followup page http://scottymoore.net/elvisharley2.html

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:34 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Funny you should bring that up

It is the Audubon House and that's not a complete uncropping
See the pic here http://scottymoore.net/elvisharley.html

That's Big Al and Mr B behind him, the owners of Al's Cycle

I'm just finishing up the followup page from the Delivery of the bikes last week and am planning one about his first one, the 56 KH in the garage seen over his shoulder.

Your image is much better quality! Cool to know I was on the right track with this -- and how fortuitous that your Harley post just went up in "All Elvis."

We're in sync!

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi, you found this picture in the Enthusiast Magazine from December 1956

Mississippi

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:09 pm

The capiton of this picture is:

Elvis Presley takes delivery on his 1957 Harley-Davidson FLH. In the center is Sales and Service Manager Al McAlexnader and at the right is Dealer B. W. Barfield of the Memphis (Tenn.) Harley-Davidson Co. Elvis has also a model KH. Ted Bruehl Photo.

Mississippi

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Sorry,

the Manager’s right name is Al McAlexander and not McAlexnader.

Mississippi

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:11 pm

Mississippi wrote:The capiton of this picture is:

Elvis Presley takes delivery on his 1957 Harley-Davidson FLH. In the center is Sales and Service Manager Al McAlexnader and at the right is Dealer B. W. Barfield of the Memphis (Tenn.) Harley-Davidson Co. Elvis has also a model KH. Ted Bruehl Photo.

Mississippi

Cool, thanks for the complete caption.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:06 pm

Mississippi wrote:Hi, you found this picture in the Enthusiast Magazine from December 1956

Actually, no -- but if the magazine date is correct, this pushes the timeline of the image to perhaps November 1956.

Brian P?

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:00 am

Sorry,

I’m not a liar – the publication date of the magazine is correct.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:17 pm

Sorry guys, I totally missed out on this thread. But hopefully "better late than not at all."

James, thanks so much for confirming that the guys behind Elvis are indeed the salesmen. I know you have my book, so whenever you come to page 208 you'll know the exact date Elvis bought this motorcycle.

Well ok then, I'll tell you. :lol:

Elvis bought his new Harley on November 1, 1956 while he was in downtown Memphis to have his Continental Mark II insured. Later in the day Natalie Wood, clad in jeans, climbed up on the seat behind Elvis and they gunned out from the Audubon Drive driveway and roared around the Memphis streets for three hours accompanied by a motorcycle policeman and Nick Adams, who was riding Elvis' old Harley Davidson.

By the way James, I found the date for when he bought his 1956 model KH Harley Davidson. The date is January 14, 1956 while he was still living at 1414 Getwell. Cash price was $1143.00. He traded in a 56ST1603 (whatever that was) for $436.70. Including sales tax and insurance he had to pay $903.19 in 18 monthly payments of $50.15. First payment due February 15, 1956.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
(1970 section updated August 16)

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:32 am

Excellent Brain. Thanks for that. You'll get credits for that.
I don't know what that is either, the trade.

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:38 am

bripet56 wrote:Elvis bought his new Harley on November 1, 1956 ...

Ah ha!

Thanks, Brian.