Post here your Elvis' pictures

White Station - then and now

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:36 pm

Last week I went to the spot where Elvis got off the train in 56 like Khoots and I talked about in one of the previous threads. Took a few then and now shots (try lining up the telephone poles). Fortunately there was a big pile of gravel I stood on on top of the original tracks at about the right location to give the same relative elevation. Many thanks to Bripet for the Wertheimer scans

I should send these to Al too. He'll get a kick out of them. I ran into him again last week and we sat awhile in the lobby of the Peabody talking shop and shooting pix of each other comparing digital cameras.

Al Wertheimer and Bucky Barrett

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Incredible pics James!

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:58 pm

Here are all the shots I took of the same intersection but didn't match them up
http://www.pbase.com/jroy/whitestation

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:56 pm

Great work, James. Saved me the trouble! If people would have just left well enough alone and left that site intact, this wouldn't have been so difficult. :wink:

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Beauty photo's.

Father Conor (Elvis Priestly) from FECC got Al to sign a copy of His Book for Him at Elvis Week, and whilst He was talking to Him, it somehow ended up with Al taking a photo of Father Conor...He said He's a very nice Man.

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:50 am

AWESOME :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:10 pm

Cheers for the pictures James, I think the "Now And Then" ...("There's A Fool..... :lol: " type pics are very interesting

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:31 am

Thanks for the pics...

We ate at the Belmont Grille on the corner right there while we were there this year...great food if you haven't been or are planning to go.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:42 pm

davidtcb1 wrote:Thanks for the pics...

We ate at the Belmont Grille on the corner right there while we were there this year...great food if you haven't been or are planning to go.

I never thought to, had just finished a chicken sandwich from Wendy's. Did the building look very old. I'm wondering if that is the original structure as in the Wertheimer photos with renovations. It almost looks like it could be.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:59 pm

Yes, the Belmont had quite a history from what I remember. It could very well be the same building.

Here's what I found...

http://www.tellthetruthtravel.com/ThumbsUp_Belmont.htm

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Hmm, so then if this is once and for all "the" location then this building
has to be the one top left here

which would have looked like this 10 years earlier

What would be that structure on the right in the two pix of the Grill and where is it in the Wertheimer photos?

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Do you mean on the other side of Mendenhall? I'm sure that's a different structure all together now, it probably got leveled when they made the steet three times as wide. My how things change, yet stay the same. I know the Belmont was at one time called the Halfshell, which is now in a new building almost across the street...you may have seen it.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:13 pm

right, the other side of Mendenhall. It looks rather close to be across the street though looking at the Elvis picture from 56. Tough to guage the perspective. The front though from 53 with that awning looks like the one in the 56 photo. Odd shaped building

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Great shots James. Nice to see what it looks like today. Hope you had a swell time in Memphis.

I'm pretty positive it's the right corner.

Maybe this will help :lol:

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
(1970 section updated August 16)

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 pm

bripet56 wrote:Great shots James. Nice to see what it looks like today. Hope you had a swell time in Memphis.

I'm pretty positive it's the right corner.

Maybe this will help :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

Yeah, I'm convinced now too, especially after that photo. You can see the gas pump in both pictures more important the shape of the building which looks puzzing from the perspective of Wertheimer's. Looks like they cropped the right side of that building some when they widened the street.

DOHHH!!! wait, that's a Wertheimer photo too, or part of one. I was wondering why that guy was still standing there.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:42 pm

I think it's the same structure, just modified over time and due to the road widening.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:11 pm

same building, check the roof. probably the same stink pipe too

Do they still sell PBR?

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 am

Great work, guys. It's a relief to have that narrowed down at last! It really helped seeing it in person, to get a "feel" for the surroundings. Great shots posted here puts it all into perspective.

Next mystery, please? :lol:

Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:38 am

Incredible shots, thanks!

Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:48 am

KHoots wrote:Great work, guys. It's a relief to have that narrowed down at last! It really helped seeing it in person, to get a "feel" for the surroundings. Great shots posted here puts it all into perspective.

The credit really goes to Brian. He pointed us all there and the pix just confirmed it. He gave me the shots I took with me to line up the ones I took. EPE wasn't even aware where it was for sure but I let them know too today and sent them what Brian wrote awhile back.

Next mystery, please? :lol:

Hmmm, give it a minute.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:34 pm

Thanks James. You know I just love helping out solving some of our problems with dating and placing photos of Elvis.

I'd love to get access to EPE's photo-collection and see what treasures lies there without correct dating. Man, I'd go crazy :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:14 pm

Next mystery, please? :lol:[/quote]

Here's one, not connected to a photo, but something I've always wanted to know. In TTWII, what is written on the little card that Elvis pulls out of his belt, reads, nods to someone off camera, and puts back in his belt?

Song request?

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:30 pm

davidtcb1 wrote:Here's one, not connected to a photo, but something I've always wanted to know. In TTWII, what is written on the little card that Elvis pulls out of his belt, reads, nods to someone off camera, and puts back in his belt?
Song request?

It may have been a request, but perhaps for more than a song.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:34 pm

Ha, nice Khoots.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:10 pm

KHoots wrote:It may have been a request, but perhaps for more than a song.

A poem ?

A soft-shoe shuffle ?

I think we should be told !