Post here your Elvis' pictures

Original Aloha suit comes home

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:25 pm

It's finally back, the original Aloha suit Elvis wore for the Aloha Special is back at Graceland, for many years this suit was in the hands of the Las Vegas Hilton.

Glad to see it finally made it's way home and did not go into the hands of a private collector.
Image

PEP 8)

Original Aloha suit Back at Home

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:15 pm

What a great new !!

Here's a last display at vegas Hilton, poor condition.

Image

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Thats really good. I remember us complaining about it a few months ago. I guess somebody was listening :P

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:36 pm

omnipresence wrote:Thats really good. I remember us complaining about it a few months ago. I guess somebody was listening :P

Exactly!
That's great news

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Back where it belongs. Good news indeed.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:24 am

What's neat to notice too, is how the Bird looks smaller on the orginal and then speaking of smaller One can see the original suit appears to be a lot smaller in size all over, plus stud work does appear to be different in certain area's for example the two Star nail heads just under neath the bird on the 2nd suit the two Star nail heads are at a even level with each other on the original they appear to be at different levels plus there is an extra Star nail head on the left hand side or rather right side depending on whether your wearing the suit or looking at it staright on :lol: .

Here are some other differences I meantioned a few months ago.
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=
Image

PEP 8)

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:22 am

Just Awesome....when I get to Graceland that's the first place I'm going....straight to see the Jumpsuits especially the Black Phoenix one.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:18 am

The Hilton Hotel should hang there head in shame for once displaying the Aloha jumpsuit like they did! When you think how much money Presley made that hotel, you would think a little bit more effort would of been given :roll:! It's good to see the jumpsuit found it's way home!

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 am

thefunkyangel wrote:The Hilton Hotel should hang there head in shame for once displaying the Aloha jumpsuit like they did! When you think how much money Presley made that hotel, you would think a little bit more effort would of been given :roll:! It's good to see the jumpsuit found it's way home!


I agree with you the Hilton had something there for so long they could have done something better for Elvis.

Anyway, just glad the suit is back, now all we need back is the original belt. :smt073

PEP 8)

Aloha Belt

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:31 pm

PEP or Funky ,

Who's now is the owner ot the original belt ?

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:21 pm

I would be very interested in the full story regarding the suit that has suddenly re-appeared.

Is it really the original returned from the Hilton?

Could it not be a replica?

What's the facts?

Anyone know?

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:38 pm

Where's Ger? This thread is right up his alley.

Re: Aloha Belt

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:09 pm

alstrada wrote:PEP or Funky ,

Who's now is the owner ot the original belt ?


Personally I do not think anyone knows, unless new information has come forward over the years.

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:I would be very interested in the full story regarding the suit that has suddenly re-appeared.

Is it really the original returned from the Hilton?

It would only make sense that it is.

Could it not be a replica?

Unlikely, Because there was No reason for EPE to have someone make up another suit for display as most everyone believed the suit they had on display for all these years was the original suit anyway.

What's the facts?

I agree, it would be interesting to know how they got the suit back, as it had been rumored for years there was a secret battle going on between the Hilton and EPE to get the suit back, while at the same time there were offers on the table by private collectors to purchase the suit.



PEP 8)

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:24 am

Thanks PEP.

I'll be asking some questions in Memphis next month :wink:

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:06 am

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:Thanks PEP.

I'll be asking some questions in Memphis next month :wink:


Cool look forward to hear what you may find out :smt023

PEP 8)

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:31 am

Pete Dube wrote:Where's Ger? This thread is right up his alley.

My thoughts exactly!

Aloha Belt

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:49 pm

WHO'S GOT THE "ALOHA" BELT ????


Image

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Does Graceland plan on keeping the suit on display permanently?

Re: Original Aloha suit comes home

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:15 pm

PEP wrote:It's finally back, the original Aloha suit Elvis wore for the Aloha Special is back at Graceland, for many years this suit was in the hands of the Las Vegas Hilton.

Glad to see it finally made it's way home and did not go into the hands of a private collector.
PEP 8)


HEY!!

Just what exactly is wrong w/ private collectors owning critical pieces?!?!

(wink!)

Considering the history of this particular item, it truly deserved to be returned to Graceland. I will also go so far as to state, I'm sure that was also the unexpressed goal of certain collectors - seeing as how they couldn't have it for themselves ..... they'd much rather see it back at Graceland if it couldn't be in their own hands instead.


N8

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:04 am

Answers from Angie Marchese (EPE) taken from the INSIDERS message board and sent via an e-mail to myself.


----------------------

The story goes, that when Elvis went to Hawaii in January 1973 he took with him two (2) eagle jumpsuits, one (1) calf length cape and one (1) belt. While trying on the outfit in Hawaii, he practically fell over because the calf length cape was simply too heavy. At some point he gives the belt away, rumored to have been given to Jack Lord’s wife, but unconfirmed. This belt possibly is the one given to Ed Parker??? Again, unconfirmed. But we do know that Joe placed a call to Bill Belew that night to have him make a shorter cape and another belt ASAP. Bill had an assistant take these items to Hawaii personally. We have receipt for items and for the flight, etc. The January 1973 receipt you are referring to is for the two(2) suits that are currently on exhibit at Graceland. One of the suits was worn during the rehearsal show on January 12, 1973. This show was filmed in case they had any issues with the satellite broadcast the following day. The other was worn during the broadcast on January 14, 1973. The short cape on exhibit was worn for both performances and tossed into the audience by Elvis, and after passing through a few hands was returned to Graceland after the final owner’s passing, I want to say in 1995.

The jumpsuits are similar in appearance but, once studied, have a few noticeable differences and you can see them when you watch the Alternate Aloha and the broadcast show which suit was worn when.

If February of 1973, the second short cape and a second belt were made (we know via documents in the collection). This was for Elvis to wear with the suits in Vegas. That is the cape that was given to Ed Parker by Elvis. Then in March of ’73, the third short cape and a third belt were made to go with the suits for the following tour (again we know via documents in the collection). So, in August of 1977, here at Graceland there were two (2) eagle suits, one (1) short cape, one (1) calf length cape and two (2) belts. In 1978, upon the unveiling on the Elvis statue at the Hilton, Vernon loaned to the Hilton for display one (1) of the suits, the short cape, a belt and a guitar. All of which were displayed there for many years. Upon coming off exhibit, the items loaned to them by Vernon were then returned to EPE where they have been housed in the archives for several years. For preservation of the items we choose not to exhibit both at the same time; however, for this special 30th Anniversary Elvis Week we did display these items together as part of a special Elvis Week exhibit. One (1) of the suits will be taken off display this week and we again will implement our preservation schedule and rotate these items on and off exhibit.

Hope this answers your questions.

Angie

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:19 am

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:Answers from Angie Marchese (EPE) taken from the INSIDERS message board and sent via an e-mail to myself.


----------------------

The story goes, that when Elvis went to Hawaii in January 1973 he took with him two (2) eagle jumpsuits, one (1) calf length cape and one (1) belt. While trying on the outfit in Hawaii, he practically fell over because the calf length cape was simply too heavy. At some point he gives the belt away, rumored to have been given to Jack Lord’s wife, but unconfirmed. This belt possibly is the one given to Ed Parker??? Again, unconfirmed. But we do know that Joe placed a call to Bill Belew that night to have him make a shorter cape and another belt ASAP. Bill had an assistant take these items to Hawaii personally. We have receipt for items and for the flight, etc. The January 1973 receipt you are referring to is for the two(2) suits that are currently on exhibit at Graceland. One of the suits was worn during the rehearsal show on January 12, 1973. This show was filmed in case they had any issues with the satellite broadcast the following day. The other was worn during the broadcast on January 14, 1973. The short cape on exhibit was worn for both performances and tossed into the audience by Elvis, and after passing through a few hands was returned to Graceland after the final owner’s passing, I want to say in 1995.

The jumpsuits are similar in appearance but, once studied, have a few noticeable differences and you can see them when you watch the Alternate Aloha and the broadcast show which suit was worn when.

If February of 1973, the second short cape and a second belt were made (we know via documents in the collection). This was for Elvis to wear with the suits in Vegas. That is the cape that was given to Ed Parker by Elvis. Then in March of ’73, the third short cape and a third belt were made to go with the suits for the following tour (again we know via documents in the collection). So, in August of 1977, here at Graceland there were two (2) eagle suits, one (1) short cape, one (1) calf length cape and two (2) belts. In 1978, upon the unveiling on the Elvis statue at the Hilton, Vernon loaned to the Hilton for display one (1) of the suits, the short cape, a belt and a guitar. All of which were displayed there for many years. Upon coming off exhibit, the items loaned to them by Vernon were then returned to EPE where they have been housed in the archives for several years. For preservation of the items we choose not to exhibit both at the same time; however, for this special 30th Anniversary Elvis Week we did display these items together as part of a special Elvis Week exhibit. One (1) of the suits will be taken off display this week and we again will implement our preservation schedule and rotate these items on and off exhibit.

Hope this answers your questions.

Angie


1. Ie: Graceland doesn't have a clue as to whereabouts.

2. Have said it many times before here, false rumours critical of Joe E. are off the mark - on a number of levels. Some people want to convince themselves of what they need to believe, regardless.

-------------------

As a random side note, you do know, of course, that the INSIDER'S MB is an example pandering @ it's most obscene.


N8

Re: Aloha Belt

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:23 am

alstrada wrote:WHO'S GOT THE "ALOHA" BELT ????


Image


Concert air-born Aloha belt, last time I checked, was in private hands, in Hawaii.

Fantastic piece!!!


N8

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:54 am

Good Grief, something as Historic and as Beautiful as that should be on show all the time. I can understand they want to preserve it and all, but I would hate to think I was going to Graceland and it wasn't there.

Thanks N8...it is good to have You back.

One more thing...if the Belt is in a Collectors hands, how would they Preserve that do you think? Surely it would be something You would hide away and take a peek every now and then?

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:58 am

Little Darlin wrote:Thanks N8...it is good to have You back.


Why thank you again, LD, ...... you really are a "Darling", too.

Little Darlin wrote:One more thing...if the Belt is in a Collectors hands, how would they Preserve that do you think? Surely it would be something You would hide away and take a peek every now and then?


Can't speak as to other collectors / fans - especially about their particular items. However, generally speaking, I suppose you would display the item for your own personal pleasure (office/home/wherever) .... & share the item w/ a select few trustworthy friends / fans. Put another way, .... simply enjoy it for what it is and all the conversation it brings with it.

That said, there are inevitably those who will break your trust; in which case, they may find it is a long way back (if at all.)


N8

Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:50 am

N880EP wrote:As a random side note, you do know, of course, that the INSIDER'S MB is an example pandering @ it's most obscene.




Yes, but through a longer chain via insiders at least we have some answers to this topic.