Post here your Elvis' pictures

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:39 am

Here are a few more leaving an coming on the Houston stage, some rare, some not so rare.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image
[/URL]
PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:35 am

These are some of the best 70's EP photos I've seen! He looks fantastic. That green-laced jumpsuit is especially fetching -- quite an unusual colour for him, but he pulls it off superbly.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Fantastic photos Everyone, Thanks :D

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:15 pm

Wonderful Pitures posted here folks!!!
Thanks for taking da time.. 8)

...Who in the hell is Joe waving at? :?

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:33 pm

Absolutely stunning photos gang!

Hi

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:08 am

Someone asked for a pic of Elvis arriving in Houston 1970.
Here he is departing his airplane, the private plane of International Hotel owner, Kirk Kerkorian. I also put it on 'another' website along with a review I wrote. Sorry for any double exposure, but some people may not have seen it there.

Cheers
Simon

Hi

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:48 am

Quote:
Kris, don't think I've ever seen photos from Elvis' arrival and the press-conference on February 25th.

Brian, I think I have figured it out. There were said to be 3 pressconferences, Feb. 25, Feb. 27 and March 1.

After having read Strictly Elvis and reading a review of a reporter who was there at the time and wrote the review at THAT time and not years later I come to the unescapable conclusion that there were only 2 press conferences. One at arrival at the Airport terminal and not the Astroworld hotel, and one on March 1 at the Astroworld hotel.

The reporter mentioned most questions and answers that we know from the video that we have and she said it was during Elvis' arrival on February 25 that this press conference took place. Elvis reportedly also mentioned on arrival: 'Gee, I thought we were going some place'. Commenting on the very! tiny airport terminal. This was also televised live by the way, as told in this report! (Joe Tunzi, start looking for this!)

Of course there is also no photographic evidence of a third press conference and it would have served no goal to hold 3 ones and makes no sense.

Cheers
Simon

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:41 pm

Kris P wrote:
Elton wrote:Wonderful Pitures posted here folks!!!
Thanks for taking da time.. 8)

...Who in the hell is Joe waving at? :?

He is holding Elvis' belt.

marcel :wink:

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:13 am

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that a "moving" stage they were on? Also, I think this was the first time that Joe Guercio and the orchestra weren't there with Elvis...correct??

At least, I think I've read that info somewhere....

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:57 am

It is disquieting, in a way, to see all the performers bunched up like that. A most unusual set-up!

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:31 am

The six Houston shows were his first outdoor stadium gigs since hitting Hawaii in November 1957 -- and they must have been thrilling for all involved.

The audience recordings of these have dozen performances bear witness to tight, 15 track sets where Elvis and band rip it up for three straight days.

Most interesting is noting the audience reaction to the old hits (happy applause) versus the singles cut at American and released between April 1969 and January 1970 (wild enthusiastic cheering -- especially for "Don't Cry Daddy"). The crowd rightfully perceived him as an exciting, contemporary artist.

Sadly, it was not to last.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:20 am

Kris P wrote:Ahem, the Houston Astrodome is an indoor venue...

Fascinating! Yes, the Astrodome's roof was covered with clear panes to let the light in, but for all intents and purposes, its use matched that of any "outdoor" stadium in the U.S.

The point, sadly unimportant to some yet unchanged by the further details of the building's architecture, is that the Astrodome was nothing like playing the International Hotel's showroom. And both artist and audience met those differences with energy and sheer rock and roll excitement.

It's a shame RCA didn't archive the shows in some fashion.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:30 pm

Another point is that the '74 shows were also disctinctive, in so far as there's no orchestra, so the band seem to be trying extra hard, and it's novel to hear the 70's concert favourties without the orchestra. The import Event No 8 is a good record of the event, in soundboard quality.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:27 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Another point is that the '74 shows were also disctinctive, in so far as there's no orchestra, so the band seem to be trying extra hard, and it's novel to hear the 70's concert favourties without the orchestra. The import Event No 8 is a good record of the event, in soundboard quality.

*makes note to self to locate a copy of said import CD*

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:01 pm

Terrific photos! I've enjoyed seeing these! :D

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:31 pm

Simon1 wrote:
After having read Strictly Elvis and reading a review of a reporter who was there at the time and wrote the review at THAT time and not years later I come to the unescapable conclusion that there were only 2 press conferences. One at arrival at the Airport terminal and not the Astroworld hotel, and one on March 1 at the Astroworld hotel.

Thanks Simon for posting that photo of Elvis arriving in Houston. First time I ever see a photo of his arrrival in Houston.

This is clearly the same outfit he wore at the press-conference we've always believed to have been on the 27th. Obviously the interview and the photos are all to be re-dated to the 25th.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk