Post here your Elvis' pictures

Fabulous SUN STUDIO

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:59 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:58 pm

It's an indescribable feeling when you walk in the front door of that building. The first thing you see is Marion's desk. In the recording studio is the actual microphone used by Elvis and an X where he stood while recording.

The only other time I ever had that feeling was when I walked in the front door of Graceland for the first time.

Sun Studio

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:09 pm

..........feeling was when I walked in the front door of Graceland for the first time. It was in 1978 for me......I never forget it..

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:47 pm

Rob wrote:In the recording studio is the actual microphone used by Elvis and an X where he stood while recording.

The last time I took the tour (2005), our tour guide mentioned the spot marked by the "x" being where Elvis stood. There was a lady standing there, and when the guide said that, she shrieked like you wouldn't believe and jumped off the spot.

Standing inside that building really is a unique experience.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:18 pm

When I was there in 2005 they said I could make a record. Well I was very excited to do that, entered the booth and picked Baby Let's Play House.
Then the lady said she can't record me cos the regular engineer wasn't there and some cords were unplugged and she didn't know how to fix that.
Can you imagine my disappointment.

But the girl that was the tour guide made me forget about all that. She was beautiful, very beautiful, good teller,with great sense of humor, absolutely charming. Icouldn't stop thinking of her for many weeks.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:33 pm

Narek wrote:When I was there in 2005 they said I could make a record. Well I was very excited to do that, entered the booth and picked Baby Let's Play House.
Then the lady said she can't record me cos the regular engineer wasn't there and some cords were unplugged and she didn't know how to fix that.
Can you imagine my disappointment.

That would have been very disappointing. It's too bad you didn't get to record there, Narek, because it is a huge thrill. I cut "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again," and the guy who assisted me was very friendly. It cost only $30 to do the song; in addition to cutting a song, you also get to see the control room, which is not a part of the regular tour. The guy showed me around in there, too. Sam Phillips' playground! You even get a custom label on the CD they give you...Check it out. It was #1 (in my house) for weeks.

I do envy you having the tour guide that you did, as she sounds impressive!

Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Imagine how I felt being in there with Scotty,

and then a few years later being in there with a whole slew of Sun artists

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:44 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Imagine how I felt being in there with Scotty

Why, had he been there before? :lol:

Seriously, that would be the ultimate kick.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:05 am

KHoots wrote:Image

Brother, how many copies did you sell :lol:?

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:11 am

Who's the guy in the shades?

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:25 am

Little Darlin wrote:Who's the guy in the shades?

Isaac Hayes

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:37 am

Thought it was James..God he's still cool.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:53 am

This one of those something-I-always-wanted-to-ask-but-never-got-around-to type of questions.

Back in the 50's, the cafe wasn't part of the Sun Studio.

So it's only the tiny, single storey bit on the left which is 'Sun'.

But it seems too small.

Did it extend to the the floor above the cafe also ?

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:24 pm

It was always small. The upstairs wasn't used then, but is now a "museum" so to speak. It is part of the tour and features recording equipment, instruments, etc.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:17 pm

They tell you on the tour that several artists used the upstairs as an apartment. I remember them saying Roy Orbison was one who did that, but I'm not sure who else.

Overall, the Sun tour is much better than what it was years ago. You actually start in the cafe, go upstairs for an historical perspective (exhibits, etc. as Rob noted), then come back down into the main studio via a different stairway.

It's nicely done. And, they allow video cameras into the studio, too.

thefunkyangel wrote:Brother, how many copies did you sell :lol:?

Um, not so many.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:17 pm

KHoots wrote:They tell you on the tour that several artists used the upstairs as an apartment. I remember them saying Roy Orbison was one who did that, but I'm not sure who else.

Overall, the Sun tour is much better than what it was years ago. You actually start in the cafe, go upstairs for an historical perspective (exhibits, etc. as Rob noted), then come back down into the main studio via a different stairway.

It's nicely done. And, they allow video cameras into the studio, too.

Right, the Studio itself was originally disconnected from the coffee shop (no adjoining doorway to the stairwell.
here'a a page I wrote up on it a few years ago:
http://scottymoore.net/studio_sun.html

A lot of the stuff they say on the tour is not factual but not worth correcting because its still a great tour. Taking it last year I had to bite my tongue quite a few times. Here are some pix from last year of the upstairs museum
http://www.pbase.com/jroy/sunupstairs

Here's a picture someone posted awhile back when it was a Barber shop in the late '60s or early '70s