Post here your Elvis' pictures

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:37 pm

Swithin StCleeve wrote: did you know that the apostrophe is a historic mark denoting the abbreviation of the anglo saxon/medieavel possessive. In that there was an e added between the end of the possessor and the s which gave it an extra syllable that was eroded by everyday speech. e.g 'edwardes thing'. . .

I didn't know that. Thanks for posting it. This thread was starting to get rather boring but you resurrected the interest.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:16 pm

Little Darlin wrote:I'm surprised at you. Wasn't it Brian who helped you with the info for your Governors Mansion photo.

Surprised at what?

I'm confused. What has the photo thread got to do with anything?

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:23 pm

Little Darlin wrote:
I'm surprised at you. Wasn't it Brian who helped you with the info for your Governors Mansion photo..

Oh, and shouldn't that be Governer's?

Okay okay, I'll get my coat . .

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:46 am

I checked with Bill Burk the other day when this thread got started and just today heard back. Brian had already resolved it in the meantime but I'll add his recollection anyway.

WHITE STATION is the area we knew as being at Poplar and Mendenhall/Mt. Moriah (it's Mendenhall north of Poplar; MtM south of Poplar -- don't ask me why).

There was no "station" there -- at least not in the '50s. Just a train stop, just as there was the "Buntyn Station" at Southern and Semmes -- the last stop before Union Station downtown. I sent him links to the pix too.
Looking at your photos, which I have never seen, that row of buildings in the background would be on the north side of Poplar, just west of M/MtM. Those buildings included Chester Ward's pool hall and Dominic Bistolfi's grocery store.

In 1950, Memphis, the city, ended at that intersection and as you travelled east on Poplar, you were in the countryside. I used to floorboard my 1949 Ford at that intersection going east to my then-girlfriend's home and tried to see if I could reach 100 mph before the turnoff at Poplar Pike.

Ah, to be 17 and stupid again.

As for recreating the walk, include me out of that. I don't feel the need to go walking a mile in the August Memphis heat, oddly though the last time i was there in August the weather was a perfect dry '70s.

Jim