Post here your Elvis' pictures

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:00 pm

bripet56 wrote:I've inserted a quote of one of my posts from back then as well as a map of the way Elvis might have walked from White Station near 645 S. Mendenhall to Audubon Drive as well as a photo from google-Earth of how it looks now. See photos below.

Just did a little more research on where Elvis got off the train on July 4th, 1956.

That whole area was quite different many years ago, as you might imagine. It was actually known as White — or more accurately, White’s — Station, after the little train station that once stood at Poplar and (645 S)Mendenhall. (The street known today as White Station was built later, several blocks to the east.) Even as late as the 1950s, Poplar was a two-lane road, and Mendenhall actually dead-ended on the north side of Poplar.
Anyway, in the early 1950s, a cluster of little mom-and-pop businesses stood at the northeast corner of Poplar and Mendenhall, including the Town & Country Barber Shop, Modern Shoe Rebuilders, Hamkirk’s Drive-In Grocery, Hamilton’s Variety Store, Brouse Drugstore, and a few others.

Cool Brain, Thanks for that. I don't recall the thread.
Just did a satellite image too and yeah that definitely changed

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:32 pm

bripet56 wrote:About the car in pic # 2 and 5 making a U-turn to get a better look at Elvis. I can tell you that that's two very different cars.

I thought so, as well....

Anyway, Brian, are you saying the area depicted in the photos is Mendenhall at Poplar? Your quote mentioned Mendenhall as having dead-ended there in the 1950's.

I grabbed this shot off of Google Earth, and wondered if the intersection we see in the photos might be where Spottswood Avenue intersects with S.Mendenhall Rd. It's where the "Rd" of Mendenhall Rd is on the capture. I don't know if that's the same area or not.

As I look at the Elvis pics again, my theory seems incorrect, as the tracks are too close to where Elvis is walking. Maybe the pics were taken more from where we see the 72 in the lower right corner?

This picture is looking more to the southwest, as compared to the one facing north that you posted.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:41 pm

KHoots wrote:
bripet56 wrote:About the car in pic # 2 and 5 making a U-turn to get a better look at Elvis. I can tell you that that's two very different cars.

I thought so, as well....

Sure, pile on. :lol: :oops:

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:14 am

KHoots, Elvis got off at about the 2 in 2007 Navteq in the very lower middle of your photo.

Your photo is shot from the opposite direction as mine.
The Mendenhall/Poplar crossing is just about out of sight below the last e in the Image@2007DigitalGlobe. The darkbrown line you see between Image@2007DigitalGlobe and 2007Navteq is the railroad where Elvis got off and crossed the grass down to the pavement just above the yellow line in your photo.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:03 am

Thanks, Brian. Took me a while to get there, but that's the conclusion I had come to when I saw where the railroad tracks were. Man, we do break it down with these topics, eh?

Joe Car wrote:Sure, pile on. :lol: :oops:

Sorry, Joe. I didn't think the cars were the same, but I thought someone would be sure to be point out that I blew it!

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:54 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
Joe Car wrote:The whole sequence of photo's

Incorrect use of an apostrophe.

Hi Spellbinder,

Your comment is a fragment and is therefore not a complete sentence.

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Brian,

I asked former Audubon Drive owner Mike Freeman about this, and he said this:

The Google map story is very close. Elvis was let off the train at a neighborhood in Memphis called White Station. At that time the area was not developed thoroughly. Elvis could walk from the railroad tracks, south to Audubon Park then to Audubon Drive. He could walk relatively undisturbed because there were few people living or working at White Station 51 years ago.

It is hard to pinpoint exactly where, but I think he was let off closer to Poplar and Colonial Street. The Norfolk and Southern Railroad still has a very small sign that reads "White Station." On Poplar Ave between Mendenhall and Colonial is the White Station branch of the Memphis Public Library and two office towers that have the "White Station" name.

Today White Station is one of the busiest areas of Memphis and it is difficult to imagine Elvis walking around alone.

If you drive by the Audubon house next month, you will notice that the exterior is painted green, which is close to its original color. Last week the repair crews were rebuilding the pool house. They were not finished, and I am not sure if the house will be available for tours in August.

I had a peek at where Colonial meets Poplar, and Mike could be right. I think he's saying Elvis may have gotten off just above where the "2007" is on my capture here, near Colonial Rd. It does look like the area. Whereas, we were looking at Mendenhall and Poplar, which is to the extreme left in my image. This is looking southeast, the way Elvis would have gotten off the train.

If that's where he jumped off, you would think he would have taken Colonial towards Audubon Drive, though, but he walked past it. But maybe he walked that way for reasons unknown.

Have a look:

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:52 pm

So is anyone tempted to recreate this Famous walk during Elvis Week then?

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:09 am

Well KHoots, I disagree with both you and Mike Freeman. Your google-map had me totally disoriented as it was turned upside-down but I made a new google search and found your Colonial Street on the map.

In the first map you'll see my Poplar/Mendenhall crossing at #1, your Poplar/Colonial crossing at #2 and Audubon Drive at #3.

In the next map you'll see a close up of the Poplar/Mendenhall crossing where the A is the north-east corner of the crossing and the B is about where Elvis got off the train.

In this pic with Elvis you see the Town & Country Barber Shop behind the parked van and the Modern Shoe Rebuilders to the right of the barber shop.

Now, if you read the quote below you'll notice that those shops stood at the NE corner of Poplar/Mendenhall just opposite of where Elvis got off. The quote is taken from an interesting article on this link http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Con ... oid%3A6913 that gives a little more insight in the 1950's Memphis.

White Station Supply Company, as it was called in the late 1950s and early 1960s, actually stood next door, just about where the parking lot is located today between Houston’s and Wild Oats. No, the building that houses Houston’s was originally built as a drugstore, the White Station Pharmacy Number 1, which opened in that building in 1960. That whole area was quite different many years ago, as you might imagine. It was actually known as White -- or more accurately, White’s -- Station, after the little train station that once stood at Poplar and Mendenhall. (The street known today as White Station was built later, several blocks to the east.) Even as late as the 1950s, Poplar was a two-lane road, and Mendenhall actually dead-ended on the north side of Poplar. Anyway, in the early 1950s, a cluster of little mom-and-pop businesses stood at the northeast corner of Poplar and Mendenhall, including the Town & Country Barber Shop, Modern Shoe Rebuilders, Hamkirk’s Drive-In Grocery, Hamilton’s Variety Store, Brouse Drugstore, and a few others.

There is NO question at all about the shops in the Elvis-photo really being the barber shop and the shoe shop so there should be NO question at all as to where the 1956 White Station was situated. And that would be just about where I placed the B in my second map above.

Anybody out there with a 1956 Rand McNally?? I'd really like to get my hands on such one to help solve a lot of such questions.

Sincerely
Brian

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:14 am

Little Darling, I don't think people would be too happy having a bunch of Elvis fans crossing right through their garden as most of the area was not developed back then as it is today. :lol:

But I'd sure love to try if I'd just be in Memphis. Man, I HAVE to get back to Memphis soon. Haven't been there since 1991. First and only. Maybe next year.

Sincerely
Brian

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:57 am

Spellbinder wrote:

But is it? I thought an apostrophe is used to mark missing letters, and the full word here is photographs . .

I dunno. But I think you're on thin ice with this one. Like CD's, I think in this case, an apostrophe is okay.

Cheers!

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:21 am

Swithin StCleeve wrote:I dunno. But I think you're on thin ice with this one. Like CD's, I think in this case, an apostrophe is okay.

Cheers!

He is correct, but this is a worldwide forum, not an English class. So ignore such crap as best you can.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:52 am

bripet56 wrote: Man, I HAVE to get back to Memphis soon. Haven't been there since 1991. First and only. Maybe next year.

Maybe we can all meet up for a FECC Forum get together! Yeah, I'm itching to get back to Memphis, too!

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:18 am

Brian,

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with Mike. I just thought that what he said might be correct. I intentionally flipped my Google map because I thought that's the way Elvis headed when he got off the train--or was he facing north when he got off the train?? That might be where my confusion lies.

I appreciate the information that you provided. Looks pretty solid. Doesn't matter who's (correct use of an apostrophe, I think!) right or wrong...as long as we're right in the end, that's what counts.

What is really funny to me is that I never gave much thought to that series of photos prior to this week, but within the past two days I have wanted to know which plot of grass Elvis walked on when he left that train! I love learning new things after all this time, and I look forward to being in Memphis again next month to get a better perspective on that area.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 am

I'd love to add to this but I'm a tad inebriated at the moment and experiencing a bit of difficulty figurung out A from B from C regardles of how you orient it.
Khoots, lets hook up some day/morning next month and go shoot some pix and hopefully not get run over by a train. I hate when that happens.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:01 am

Especially if the train is the Frankfurt Special :lol:!

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:37 am

Swithin StCleeve wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:

But is it? I thought an apostrophe is used to mark missing letters, and the full word here is photographs . .

I dunno. But I think you're on thin ice with this one. Like CD's, I think in this case, an apostrophe is okay.

Cheers!

English is a swine of language. Although your use of an apostrophe is incorrect in "photo's" and "CD's", you are correct in your belief that an apostrophe can be used to denote "missing letters". But not always.

The most interesting example of this is, IMO, "its" and it's". In this case the use of an apostrophe, where you might logically expect it, would be wrong. However, "it's", meaning "it is", is correct - the apostrophe denoting the missing "i".

I certainly do not mean to offend you or anyone else when I point out a superfluous apostrophe, but think of all the extra energy and material that this poor overstretched planet of ours is expending in continuing to support the error. The enhanced carbon footprint caused by my miserable effort to eliminate it pales into insignificance.

Cheers.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:46 am

Spellbinder wrote:...but think of all the extra energy and material that this poor overstretched planet of ours is expending in continuing to support the error.
The enhanced carbon footprint caused by my miserable effort to eliminate it pales into insignificance.

I thought about it.

Now my brain's hurting.

[correct use of the apostrophe to denote the missing letter 'i'].

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:48 am

Spellbinder wrote:
Swithin StCleeve wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:

Cheers!

English is a swine of language. Although your use of an apostrophe is incorrect in "photo's" and "CD's", you are correct in your belief that an apostrophe can be used to denote "missing letters". But not always.

The most interesting example of this is, IMO, "its" and it's". In this case the use of an apostrophe, where you might logically expect it, would be wrong. However, "it's", meaning "it is", is correct - the apostrophe denoting the missing "i".

I certainly do not mean to offend you or anyone else when I point out a superfluous apostrophe, but think of all the extra energy and material that this poor overstretched planet of ours is expending in continuing to support the error. The enhanced carbon footprint caused by my miserable effort to eliminate it pales into insignificance.

Cheers.

Swithin

I've rethought the whole thing. I've dragged rules from the back of my mind placed there when I was a young child at school. I think you may be right.

I'm sorry (not that you're right - but for doubting you).

Cheers.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:02 am

The point really, is 'is it worth pointing out'?.

I've read 'Eats Shoots And Leaves' and get as annoyed as anyone when I see a cafe sign proclaiming

sandwich's and cake's (why is it always cafes ?)

But photo's against photos? hmmmm

I looked in mt dictionary and photos is in there as plural of photo. So if I were to take my case to the word court I reckon I'd lose. Because photos is now a recognised word.

So, yes, Spelbinder is right. And I shall from now on write photos.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:47 pm

Sorry guys, this thread has taken a direction that I simply don't care taking part in (or read) so I'm out of here.

Brian

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:38 pm

bripet56 wrote:Sorry guys, this thread has taken a direction that I simply don't care taking part in (or read) so I'm out of here.

Brian

Hey Bian, before you go, did you know that the apostrophe is a historic mark denoting the abbreviation of the anglo saxon/medieavel possessive. In that there was an e added between the end of the possessor and the s which gave it an extra syllable that was eroded by everyday speech. e.g 'edwardes thing'. . .

Brian..

Brian?

He's gone!

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:00 pm

A very fascinating thread is ruined by people who have nothing better to do then look for spelling mistakes, thanks guys. Brian, don't let them deter you from posting, your input and pics are very much appreciated! :x

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:05 pm

Swithin StCleeve wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Sorry guys, this thread has taken a direction that I simply don't care taking part in (or read) so I'm out of here.

Brian

Hey Bian, before you go, did you know that the apostrophe is a historic mark denoting the abbreviation of the anglo saxon/medieavel possessive. In that there was an e added between the end of the possessor and the s which gave it an extra syllable that was eroded by everyday speech. e.g 'edwardes thing'. . .

Brian..

Brian?

He's gone!

I'm surprised at you. Wasn't it Brian who helped you with the info for your Governors Mansion photo.

Brian, I found this thread fascinating. Thanks for your input.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:30 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:I'd love to add to this but I'm a tad inebriated at the moment and experiencing a bit of difficulty figurung out A from B from C regardles of how you orient it.
Khoots, lets hook up some day/morning next month and go shoot some pix and hopefully not get run over by a train. I hate when that happens.

Right on, James! All this Googlin' is making me goofy.