Post here your Elvis' pictures

1956 Going Home

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Image

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:03 pm

Elvis had just stepped off the train at White Station in Memphis and walked the last mile or so home to Audubon Drive on July 4th 1956.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Going Home

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:06 pm

Thank for Info !!

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:14 am

Yeah, imagine that he had already appeared on 6 Dorsey shows and two Milton Berle show and just got back from the Steve Allen show in New York. He was at the very TOP and yet he just got off the train and walked about a mile to his Audubon Drive home.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:58 am

This pic, and a couple of others taken at the same time, can be seen -- in much better quality -- in Wertheimer's wonderful book "Elvis At 21". Get that book, it's a must have!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 pm

bripet56 wrote:Yeah, imagine that he had already appeared on 6 Dorsey shows and two Milton Berle show and just got back from the Steve Allen show in New York. He was at the very TOP and yet he just got off the train and walked about a mile to his Audubon Drive home.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk


The whole sequence of photo's, from getting off the train, to crossing the field and heading home, saddens me and yet is fascinating at the same time. There is also a photo of him walking home, ( having just crossed the field, onto the sidewalk ) where people in a car across the street, spot him, and do a u turn to where Elvis was coming towards them. Can you post those pics Brian?

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:58 pm

Joe Car wrote:The whole sequence of photo's



Incorrect use of an apostrophe.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:24 pm

No kidding Spellbinder :o :shock:

I'm amazed you didn't notice the missing "s" in my earlier post where I say that Elvis had just appeared on two Milton berle show.
That should have been shows, shouldn't it??

Honestly Spellbinder, why don't you post such a letter personally so we can just enjoy discussing the photos with or without mistakes in spelling.

And if you want to reply to me on this letter please do so in private. :)


Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:26 pm

bripet56 wrote:No kidding Spellbinder :o :shock:

I'm amazed you didn't notice the missing "s" in my earlier post where I say that Elvis had just appeared on two Milton berle show.
That should have been shows, shouldn't it??

Honestly Spellbinder, why don't you post such a letter personally so we can just enjoy discussing the photos with or without mistakes in spelling.

And if you want to reply to me on this letter please do so in private. :)


Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk


I wouldn't dream of correcting anyone whose first language might not be English.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Joe Car wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Yeah, imagine that he had already appeared on 6 Dorsey shows and two Milton Berle show and just got back from the Steve Allen show in New York. He was at the very TOP and yet he just got off the train and walked about a mile to his Audubon Drive home.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk


The whole sequence of photo's, from getting off the train, to crossing the field and heading home, saddens me and yet is fascinating at the same time. There is also a photo of him walking home, ( having just crossed the field, onto the sidewalk ) where people in a car across the street, spot him, and do a u turn to where Elvis was coming towards them. Can you post those pics Brian?


He got off at a station? I always thought they stopped the train before the station so he could get off and home without a fuss. I can't remember if I read that, saw it in one of the documentarys like Elvis 56 or Al told me that himself. That would mean though that Al stayed on the train to take the pictures and got off at the station. Hmm, how then did he get to Elvis' house later? I'll have to email him or call him later.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:46 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:He got off at a station?
I always thought they stopped the train before the station so he could get off and home without a fuss.


My understanding was that they didn't stop the train just so Elvis could get off.

It was a semi-official 'drop off only' point [no station] for the convenience of passengers.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:53 pm

ColinB wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:He got off at a station?
I always thought they stopped the train before the station so he could get off and home without a fuss.


My understanding was that they didn't stop the train just so Elvis could get off.

It was a semi-official 'drop off only' point [no station] for the convenience of passengers.


That could be, its been awhile since I heard or read it.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:05 pm

That's right James. He did get off at White Station. If I'm not mistaken this was a station where you could only get off the train. The train would not take passengers onboard.
Good old Al probably took a cab or got a ride with some of the other guys in Elvis' party. That could have been Scotty, Bill, D.J., Colonel Parker, Junior Smith or Tom Diskin as they all went along for the ride.

Here's the pics Joe Car asked for. At least the ones I have to post.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:08 pm

You beat me to it Colin.
You could only get off the train at White Station. No passengers were allowed to get on the train there.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:06 pm

bripet56 wrote:That's right James. He did get off at White Station. If I'm not mistaken this was a station where you could only get off the train.



I'm beginning to think that "White Station" is actaully an area, not a station. This is all speculation but it might have been an actual station at some point in its history or something entirely different. I think though at that time, as now, it referred to an area of the city, like White haven. There is a White Station middles school, a White Station High School and other "white station" things in that vicinity.

Not that it matters at all. You can see from the pix there is no station or even platform. I wonder how much of that area looks the same.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:45 pm

Is it fair to assume Elvis is walking east on Park, given its proximity to Audubon Drive, and the fact that it is a busy east/west avenue? That's a complete guess on my part, though. I don't have a guess as to what the other street is, although if it's within a mile of Audubon Drive, we could take a stab at it. I wouldn't mind locating that corner next month and take a snap or two......

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:47 pm

KHoots wrote: I wouldn't mind locating that corner next month and take a snap or two......


My thoughts exactly


It could be Poplar Ave, Poplar pike or Murray Ave maybe. It seems to be on the wrong side of the tracks to be Park, given the direction he's walking. It might not even be there anymore since they put in I-240

http://www.google.com/maps?q=White+Stat ... p&ct=title

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
Joe Car wrote:The whole sequence of photo's



Incorrect use of an apostrophe.


Can you guess what letter is missing, as_hole!

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:05 pm

bripet56 wrote:That's right James. He did get off at White Station. If I'm not mistaken this was a station where you could only get off the train. The train would not take passengers onboard.
Good old Al probably took a cab or got a ride with some of the other guys in Elvis' party. That could have been Scotty, Bill, D.J., Colonel Parker, Junior Smith or Tom Diskin as they all went along for the ride.

Here's the pics Joe Car asked for. At least the ones I have to post.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk


Thanks Brian. Looks like the car in pics 2 & 5, did a u turn to get a glimpse of our boy!

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Joe Car wrote:Can you guess what letter is missing, as_hole!



Incorrect use of an exclamation mark.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:27 pm

About exactly a year ago we stopped discussing these pics in this thread http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... hp?t=23713

I've inserted a quote of one of my posts from back then as well as a map of the way Elvis might have walked from White Station near 645 S. Mendenhall to Audubon Drive as well as a photo from google-Earth of how it looks now. See photos below.

Just did a little more research on where Elvis got off the train on July 4th, 1956.

That whole area was quite different many years ago, as you might imagine. It was actually known as White — or more accurately, White’s — Station, after the little train station that once stood at Poplar and (645 S)Mendenhall. (The street known today as White Station was built later, several blocks to the east.) Even as late as the 1950s, Poplar was a two-lane road, and Mendenhall actually dead-ended on the north side of Poplar.
Anyway, in the early 1950s, a cluster of little mom-and-pop businesses stood at the northeast corner of Poplar and Mendenhall, including the Town & Country Barber Shop, Modern Shoe Rebuilders, Hamkirk’s Drive-In Grocery, Hamilton’s Variety Store, Brouse Drugstore, and a few others.

I've made a few screen-prints from Elvis 56 where Elvis gets off the train and passes Modern Shoe Rebuilders and at the very corner of Mendenhall the Town & Country Barber Shop.


Image
Image

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:36 pm

I had forgotten you posted that, Brian. I was thankful then, and thankful again today! Much appreciated...

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:39 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Can you guess what letter is missing, as_hole!



Incorrect use of an exclamation mark.


It's nice to see that you have returned to form. It must be an OCD thing. :roll:

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 pm

About the car in pic # 2 and 5 making a U-turn to get a better look at Elvis.

I can tell you that that's two very different cars.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:50 pm

bripet56 wrote:About the car in pic # 2 and 5 making a U-turn to get a better look at Elvis.

I can tell you that that's two very different cars.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk


The closer I look, I believe you're right Brian.