Elvis puts on a show at the Civic Center

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Elvis puts on a show at the Civic Center

Post by elvisjock »

That was the headline in the Providence Journal Bulletin 30 years ago (May 23, 1977.) Young elvisjock was in the crowd with his trusty Instamatic. The photo will never win any awards, but it is Elvis through my lens!

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Someone please help the photographically challenged.

When I uploaded the photo (my first-ever attempt at using Image Shack,) the picture displayed properly. Now, upon revisiting the thread, all I see is a red X. If I click on the red X, I see the photo.

Why doesn't the photo automatically display?

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by paulsweeney »

It displays when I view this thread 8)

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

elvisjock wrote:Someone please help the photographically challenged.

When I uploaded the photo (my first-ever attempt at using Image Shack,) the picture displayed properly. Now, upon revisiting the thread, all I see is a red X. If I click on the red X, I see the photo.

Why doesn't the photo automatically display?
A Beautiful Photo Elvisjock. Hope You didn't mind Me showing the actual size. If You copy and Paste the First Link under the Photo, it appears at the size above.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Rob

Re: Elvis puts on a show at the Civic Center

Post by Rob »

elvisjock wrote:That was the headline in the Providence Journal Bulletin 30 years ago (May 23, 1977.) Young elvisjock was in the crowd with his trusty Instamatic.
A couple of days ago, I asked myself if it had really been 30 years. Then I heard myself answer that it really had. I last saw Elvis on May 21, 1977 in Louisville.

Hard to believe.

Elvis_Priestly

Re: Elvis puts on a show at the Civic Center

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

Rob wrote:
elvisjock wrote:That was the headline in the Providence Journal Bulletin 30 years ago (May 23, 1977.) Young elvisjock was in the crowd with his trusty Instamatic.
A couple of days ago, I asked myself if it had really been 30 years. Then I heard myself answer that it really had. I last saw Elvis on May 21, 1977 in Louisville.

Hard to believe.
It is strange thinking its 30 years since he's gone. I was six and lived in Ireland so never had the chance you had. I don't know if you have before but have you ever posted what the experience was like? (If you have will you point me towards the description please?)

re. the photo: great shot - I love crowd shots like that, more like "being there" than the pro ones.

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

I truly envy anyone who saw Presley in concert!

ImageImageImageImageImage

KHoots
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KHoots »

That is very true, brutha funky. Those who have seen Elvis perform live have a unique perspective on things, and one which I envy, too! Nice shot, elvisjock....

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

I remember John F. Kennedy Jr. once making an observation that it was difficult for him to separate what he genuinely remembered about his father, from his personal experience of the man, as opposed to having his memories enhanced by information in the public record.

I have four different audio recordings of the show that took place 30 years ago today. I have a number of different sets of photos that I've acquired over the years. Obviously, what I remember seeing and hearing has blended in with that public record.

But, I do have unique memories of the experience. Everyone was so excited to see him in person. People seated behind the stage were constantly yelling at Elvis to turn around. When he obliged, they erupted. I remember Sherrill signing autographs at intermission. I remember him pointing out that they were using a new sound system. It's those little things that have stuck with me.

In 1997, when I attended the first presentation of Elvis The Concert, it brought back the feeling and power of the music, that can only be appreciated when you're in that crowd. It doesn't translate to recordings. That's why I see the show every chance I get. You can feel what it was like. Elvis isn't there in the flesh, but it's close.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

elvisjock wrote:
I have four different audio recordings of the show
Any outstanding ones quality wise?
I'll rate the generally known audience recording 3/4 maximum..
I remember him pointing out that they were using a new sound system.

What did you think about this so called new sound system?
I think Elvis only meant "new monitor system..."

I have an audience recording too.
The setlist offers no surprises but Elvis delivered very well that evening.
I like this show;)

Thanks for posting your picture EJ.

Cheers, RJ

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

There is one recording that is clearly better than the others. It was presented to me by a listener to my show. I don't believe it's been circulated. This gentleman recorded the show himself. He also taped one of the '76 Providence shows, with a stereo recorder. That tape sounds very cool.

Without listening back to verify, I don't think Elvis went into detail about the monitor system. The night before, in Largo, he did explain that there were two distinct systems in use - one for the stage and one for the audience.

Elvis complained about the sound system on a fairly constant basis, especially in '76 and '77. There was also a good amount of feedback created by his mic.

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

elvisjock wrote:Someone please help the photographically challenged.
Priscilla resorted to the surgeon's knife.....

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

elvisjock wrote:I remember John F. Kennedy Jr. once making an observation that it was difficult for him to separate what he genuinely remembered about his father, from his personal experience of the man, as opposed to having his memories enhanced by information in the public record.

I have four different audio recordings of the show that took place 30 years ago today. I have a number of different sets of photos that I've acquired over the years. Obviously, what I remember seeing and hearing has blended in with that public record.

But, I do have unique memories of the experience. Everyone was so excited to see him in person. People seated behind the stage were constantly yelling at Elvis to turn around. When he obliged, they erupted. I remember Sherrill signing autographs at intermission. I remember him pointing out that they were using a new sound system. It's those little things that have stuck with me.

In 1997, when I attended the first presentation of Elvis The Concert, it brought back the feeling and power of the music, that can only be appreciated when you're in that crowd. It doesn't translate to recordings. That's why I see the show every chance I get. You can feel what it was like. Elvis isn't there in the flesh, but it's close.
I remembered something else. I was in the 6th grade at the time. One kid gave me a hard time the next day. "You went to see ELVIS?" Kiss would've been cool, but not Elvis. Not in 1977.

Rob

Post by Rob »

elvisjock wrote:Kiss would've been cool, but not Elvis. Not in 1977.
Try telling that to the 19,000 fans in Freedom Hall the night I was there.

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Rob wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Kiss would've been cool, but not Elvis. Not in 1977.
Try telling that to the 19,000 fans in Freedom Hall the night I was there.
Everyone in the Civic Center loved him, there's no doubt. However, I was dealing with life in the schoolyard the next morning.