Post here your Elvis' pictures

On Tour '56 Candid!

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:47 pm

How frickin' awesome is this candid? Courtesy of TCB-World!
http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showim ... 2&catid=46

Re: On Tour '56 Candid!

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:30 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:How frickin' awesome is this candid? Courtesy of TCB-World!

I would say that the level of awesomeness is off the hizzie (or is it hizzle?). Great shot....

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:52 am

Nobody cooler. Travolta, each your heart out!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:50 am

Thanks again Funkman! I believe there were a few more pics from that night somewhere, any chance you posting them?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Anyone know the date?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:40 pm

I don't think this is a 1956 photo. We don't see Elvis wearing those clothes in any photo from 1956. The first time we see it is actually on June 28, 1957 at the St Jude show at Russwood Park in Memphis.

The photo would probably be from the March/April or the August/September tour of 1957. I think he looks more early 1957 and it's a fact that he had his Cadillacs with him on tour on the March/April tour.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:42 pm

That photo looked strangely familiar to me and true enough, it was scanned from photo journal "D.J. Fontana remembers Elvis". There was another shot in the same journal taken by the looks of it on the same occasion, also credited to 1956. I'm enclosing it here; maybe it will give some more clues as to the correct date for those in the know... :wink:

There are further shots in the same journal of D.J and Bill Black with the same car, and those are credited as "on tour 1957"...

Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:02 am

bripet56 wrote:I think he looks more early 1957 and it's a fact that he had his Cadillacs with him on tour on the March/April tour.

Scott Hayward wrote:That photo ... was scanned from photo journal "D.J. Fontana remembers Elvis". There was another ... also credited to 1956. I'm enclosing it here; maybe it will give some more clues as to the correct date for those in the know... There are further shots in the same journal of D.J and Bill Black with the same car, and those are credited as "on tour 1957"...

Good posts. Brian is on the right track, as usual, placing it to early 1957.

If you look at Scott's image, you can the the sign for the Knickerbocker Hotel glowing in the background, thus placing both of these in Los Angeles.

Now, this makes both likely to have been taken around January 11-12, as Elvis and his band were in town to do film and soundtrack work for "Loving You." At least one of Elvis' white Cadillacs was delivered by Vernon for use while working in town, not sure of the exact date.

Note that in late April Elvis would reside at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, while the band chose to return to the Knickerbocker.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:04 am

Guys, fantastic detective work, as always!

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Nive Doc, I was thinking about Vicker Gas Station in Memphis with the letters in the background. But Knickerbocker is probably a better guess.

However, I think that January might be too early in 1957. Due to Elvis' clothing that we otherwise don't see until June 28.

The Cadillac in the photo is Elvis' lightblue 1954 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan. This is the Cadillac that his band-members used and thus the photo could be from the Knickerbocker in late April.

On the March/April tour Elvis even had his pink Cadillac with him but it is likely that they even used the band-Cadillac as the Jordanaires also travelled with them.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk