Post here your Elvis' pictures

What's the Story...

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:59 am

thImageis

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:21 pm

There are a series of these pix in one of Ger Rijff's excellent books. (Hey! Anyone remember Ger Rijff?) It's Elvis having his haircut while back in Memphis in 1956. If I remember correctly the book is 'Memphis Lonesome'.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Jim's Barber Shop, Memphis, June '56!

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:34 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:Jim's Barber Shop, Memphis, June '56!

funky you are absolutely right . i have seen this picture before in a book . :wink:

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:23 am

Tits McGhee wrote:There are a series of these pix in one of Ger Rijff's excellent books. (Hey! Anyone remember Ger Rijff?) It's Elvis having his haircut while back in Memphis in 1956. If I remember correctly the book is 'Memphis Lonesome'.

Correct, published in 1988. The main photos are by journalist Lloyd Shearer, on assignment for "Parade" Magazine, taken in mid-June 1956.

Jim's Barber Shop on Main Street was his favorite place to get a hair cut. In other photos you can see more clearly that he's reading a magazine called "Elvis Presley" -- stories about him!

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:02 am

The first thing I thought when I saw this Picture was about the utterly ridiculous quote about his Shoes.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 am

LittleDarlin wrote:The first thing I thought when I saw this Picture was about the utterly ridiculous quote about his Shoes.

Not just ridiculous, but proven false in 1957.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LittleDarlin wrote:The first thing I thought when I saw this Picture was about the utterly ridiculous quote about his Shoes.

Not just ridiculous, but proven false in 1957.

And how very sad that 50 years on it still gets quoted as fact by the misinformed. The most recent example I saw was on a CD review site.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:14 pm

That mag would be this one Doc...
More pic of that day at Tony's...

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:07 pm

That's Brilliant....Thank You Very Much :D

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:18 pm

Sorry guys, but that photo is NOT from June 1956.
As Doc pointed out Elvis reads a magazine called "Elvis Presley" and that's my reason for saying the photo is not from JUne as the magazine includes a number of photos from the Steve Allen rehearsals as well as text mentioning Elvis on the Steve Allen show.
So clearly the photo will be from after July 1, 1956. It would probably take at least a couple of weeks to put the magazine together and print it so no earlier than mid-July 1956.
The dates most often referred to on these photos are August 14-16, 1956.
The few days Elvis was back in Memphis between his Florida tour and his leaving for Hollywood on August 16.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:24 am

bripet56 wrote:So clearly the photo will be from after July 1, 1956 ... The dates most often referred to on these photos are August 14-16, 1956.

The August date may be too late to fit in for Lloyd Shearer's deadline for "Parade" -- so should we assume mid-July, after his New Orleans vacation?

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:50 am

Doc, do you know what date the "Parade" came out?? I don't think I've ever seen this magazine.

July 20-29, 1956 has always been my guess for these photos but the reports have always been that the Shearer photos were shot right after Elvis returned from his August tour of Florida.
However, Elvis is driving his 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible. Wouldn't he be driving his brand new Lincoln Continental Mark II if the photos were from after the August tour on which he bought the Lincoln???

If someone could just check the Memphis newspapers and find out when "The Eddy Duchin Story" starring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak played at the Malco Theatre and "The Catered Affair" starring Bette Davis and Ernest Borgnine played at the Loew's State we'd probably be able to nail it down much better.

I'm positive the pictures are from July 20-29, 1956 and my second guess is August 14-16, 1956.

Sincerely
Brian

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:26 am

Brian, your comments about the Lincoln are spot-on! Elvis would've very likely been driving it. He also got a lavender Lincoln Premiere in a trade-in on Saturday, July 21 -- is that the vehicle, Tennessee plate 2D-33503, seen from the rear on page 84 of "Memphis Lonesome" (Tutti Frutti, 1988)?

bripet56 wrote:Doc, do you know what date the "Parade" came out?? I don't think I've ever seen this magazine.

A copy of this national Sunday newspaper supplement reads September 30, 1956 on page 4 of "Memphis Lonesome."

bripet56 wrote:July 20-29, 1956 has always been my guess for these photos but the reports have always been that the Shearer photos were shot right after Elvis returned from his August tour of Florida.

"Memphis Lonesome" implies August in Ger Rijff's introduction, as he writes "... Shearer's photographs represent a chronological follow-up to Jay B. Leviton's coverage of the Florida tour." And Jan Ven Gestel states "August" in his writing on page 73.

bripet56 wrote:If someone could just check the Memphis newspapers and find out when "The Eddy Duchin Story" starring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak played at the Malco Theatre and "The Catered Affair" starring Bette Davis and Ernest Borgnine played at the Loew's State we'd probably be able to nail it down much better.

IMDb.com gives June 14 for "The Catered Affair" and June 21 for "The Eddy Duchin Story."

But a close look at the Leow's State image on page 70 shows a sign which reads SOON - VIRGINIA MAYO - "THE PROUD ONES".

Since this film was apparently out in late July, it would be the clincher that these photos were taken in July, after the Biloxi vacation, and not in August. It would've been playing on the Leow's screen in August.

A pleasure working with you, Brian.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:49 am

Nice Work Detectives.... Now who is going to be Starsky and who is going to be Hutch???

It's a Joke Doc.....

I Can't wait for Brians answer 8)

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:12 am

LittleDarlin wrote:Nice Work Detectives.... Now who is going to be Starsky and who is going to be Hutch???

It's a Joke Doc.....

As long as you don't call us "Ace and Gary," I'm happy.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LittleDarlin wrote:Nice Work Detectives.... Now who is going to be Starsky and who is going to be Hutch???

It's a Joke Doc.....

As long as you don't call us "Ace and Gary," I'm happy.

HAHA

Had to Google it........and I wouldn't dream of it!!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 am

Little Darling, have to admit I had to google "Ace & Gary" as well and I'm sure glad you didn't call us that.
I can hardly remember the old series of Starsky & Hutch but in the new remake I prefer Hutch. I just love Owen Wilson. He's a real cool guy.
Anyway, that's not what we're here to discuss.

No Doc, that car on page 84 in Memphis Lonesome is Elvis' yellow 1954 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible which he traded in for the Lincoln Premiere on July 21, 1956. Anyway, the car has nothing to do with the dating of the Shearer photos as it is actually a Wertheimer photo that has been included in the book.

Never thought of using the IMDB for the premiere dates for the movies. Of course, this is not any proof of when they played in Memphis but at least it gives us an indication. Still, it fits in perfectly with the July 20-29 period.

Any Memphians out there who wanna spend an hour at the local library digging out that proof for us?? I know they have the Memphis Press Scimitar as well as the Commercial Appeal at the Memphis University Library. I spent a couple of days there back in 1991.

Nice working with you too, Doc.

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:57 am

bripet56 wrote:No Doc, that car on page 84 in Memphis Lonesome is Elvis' yellow 1954 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible which he traded in for the Lincoln Premiere on July 21, 1956. Anyway, the car has nothing to do with the dating of the Shearer photos as it is actually a Wertheimer photo that has been included in the book.

Ah! Is it the only one -- or are there more?

bripet56 wrote:Never thought of using the IMDB for the premiere dates for the movies. Of course, this is not any proof of when they played in Memphis but at least it gives us an indication. Still, it fits in perfectly with the July 20-29 period.

I'm pretty satisfied we've nailed it down to the end of July, based on the film and car information. But if anyone can pop by the Mermphis library, that would be kool, too.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:39 pm

Doc, I think that photo of the Cadillacs in the Audubon driveway is the only Wertheimer photo that is included in "Memphis Lonesome."
At least it's the only one that comes to mind as I sit here at work not doing anything else than wait to go home in a couple of hours.

Yeah, it would be real great if someone out there could visit a library that has copies of the MPS or CA from back in 1956. I know that at least Little Rock as well as the Library of Congress have copies on microfilm. These can often be borrowed via a local library. I borrowed hundreds of rolls of US microfilm for about 6 years from Sweden but the rules are more strict nowadays.

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:13 pm

bripet56 wrote:Nice working with you too, Doc.

You two should do a book together, filled to the brim with cool photos and stories from the '50s, kind of like "Flashback" but with more background info. Your detective work is truly interesting to follow! :wink:

There was a photo in this section a while back, showing Elvis and his band on stage. The unusual thing about this photo was that a little boy was standing next to Elvis, right there on stage, playing guitar and rocking like a wildman! I was 100% sure that this was a fake (it looked too good to be true) - until Brian told me I was wrong, and he had a '50s newspaper article to prove it:

bripet56 wrote:Keith Richards, Jr! The photo of little Royce Hanson is no fake. I have the actual newspaper article from 1955 and it reads as follows:

A highlight of the show was the appearance of Royce Hanson of Tyler, 3½ year old "Elvis Presley Jr." The youngster caught the crowd's eye with mimery of the Hayride star, using a pee-wee size guitar or ukelele. The announcer finally conceded and brought the boy onstage, complete with cowboy boots and knee wobbling.

Below the actual photo it said:
PINT SIZE ELVIS PRESLEY -- It was hard to tell who the girls were squealing for when Royce Hanson, 3½ year old youngster from Tyler, got onstage with his imitation of the "Bobbing Hillbilly," Elvis Presley

This is the one of the coolest photos I've seen, and I like it even more now that I know the story behind it. (Gotta love the innocent style/language of those old newspapers too...)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks for the nice words Keith.

It's always a pleasure to be able to help some other fan and I just love these discussions where we're sometimes able to pinpoint the date and place of some of these old photos.

I have loads of newspaper-clippings from the 1950´s. The biggest problem is copyright of the photos to be included in such a book. And then of course there's the tiny problem with money to publish such a work whicj should be done on quality paper with hard-back and even some photos in colour. I haven't given up on my 1957-project yet, although it's been 12½ year since "The Atomic Powered Singer" was published.

Sincerely
Brian

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:12 am

bripet56 wrote:I have loads of newspaper-clippings from the 1950´s. The biggest problem is copyright of the photos to be included in such a book. And then of course there's the tiny problem with money to publish such a work whicj should be done on quality paper with hard-back and even some photos in colour. I haven't given up on my 1957-project yet, although it's been 12½ year since "The Atomic Powered Singer" was published.

Well, I'm glad you haven't given up yet! A book about Elvis in 1957 would be very cool indeed. But I realize it's very hard work.

Wouldn't a project like this be perfect for the FTD label by the way? I'd like to see more '50s releases from them. "Flashback" is one of the best things they've ever done. A very nice book. It opened my eyes, so to speak, I became much more interested in stories and photos from the '50s after I bought that one. (I was mainly into the '70s before that.)

Keith Richards, Jr.