Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis the Chief

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 am

Image

Any background info to that?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:15 am

The gentleman on the left is Chief Wah-Nee-Ota &

he was a member of the Los Angeles Indian Tribal

Council, here you can see Elvis being inducted to

the council by the Chief, this was in recognition of

his "Constructive portrayal of a man of Indian blood"

in the film Flaming Star, this happened in December

1960, so Elvis was now not only the King of Rock'N'Roll

but also a blood brother of Los Angeles' Indian community.

8)

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:21 am

It was taken while Presley was in production for Wild In The Country, fall of '60/ January '61!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:53 am

TIGERMAN-GB wrote:The gentleman on the left is Chief Wah-Nee-Ota &

he was a member of the Los Angeles Indian Tribal

Council, here you can see Elvis being inducted to

the council by the Chief, this was in recognition of

his "Constructive portrayal of a man of Indian blood"

in the film Flaming Star, this happened in December

1960, so Elvis was now not only the King of Rock'N'Roll

but also a blood brother of Los Angeles' Indian community.

8)


I was thinking that's a picture from that event. Thank You for the details, Tigerman

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:11 pm

Was his status rescinded after Stay Away, Joe?
Rick

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:22 pm

Wow, awesome pix.. never saw it befoe and I truly love it... thank you so much for posting this one. :D

Re: Elvis the Chief

Wed May 11, 2016 12:34 pm

.

Another not often seen pic of this event:

Elvis and Chief Wha-Nee-Ota.jpg


Source: http://joyous2607.tumblr.com

.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis the Chief

Wed May 11, 2016 2:57 pm

Here is the less cropped photo.

Chief Wah-Nee-Ota.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis the Chief

Wed May 11, 2016 10:39 pm

I posted this on another topic, but it fits better here:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis donned an Indian headdress in between takes of "Wild in the Country," too. It was worn for a PR shot.


Bonus Photo:

Image

Elvis Presley is inducted into the Los Angeles Tribal Council by Chief Wha-Nee-Ota for his "constructive portrayal of a man of Indian blood"

http://www.apimages.com/metadata/Index/Creative-Copyright-Bettmann-Corbis-AP-Images-/3b77fffb111240038fb566604741edaf




Bonus Article:


Image

Pittsburgh Press - Thursday, December 29, 1960


Bonus Info:

Chief Wha-Nee-Ota was actually an actor, named William McGuire:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/2009/03/matt-weinsto-10.html




So this 1960 ceremony was ... strictly ceremonial.

Re: Elvis the Chief

Thu May 12, 2016 11:20 pm

Elvis Presley is inducted into the Los Angeles Tribal Council by Chief Wha-Nee-Ota for his "constructive portrayal of a man of Indian blood"



I wonder if Chief Wha-Nee-Ota saw 'Stay Away Joe' in later years ?

Whoops... not a constructive portrayal of a man of Indian blood there. ;-)

Re: Elvis the Chief

Fri May 13, 2016 1:14 am

It has been said that Elvis's great-great-great-grandmother, Morning White Dove was a full-blooded Cherokee. She passed away 100 years prior to the birth of the boy from Tupelo.

Re: Elvis the Chief

Fri May 13, 2016 1:43 am

Hard Rocker wrote:It has been said that Elvis's great-great-great-grandmother, Morning White Dove was a full-blooded Cherokee. She passed away 100 years prior to the birth of the boy from Tupelo.


Said by who? Don't be offended now, I'm curious to learn more about this. ;-)

Re: Elvis the Chief

Fri May 13, 2016 1:58 am

Say "Pretty please". :wink:

Re: Elvis the Chief

Fri May 13, 2016 2:05 am

Hard Rocker wrote:Say ...


Looks like you got nothing. As usual. Thanks. :smt023

Re: Elvis the Chief

Fri May 13, 2016 2:10 am

"Hey, waddaya want fer nothin'?"

You're welcome. :wink:

Re: Elvis the Chief

Fri May 13, 2016 5:50 am

Here's some information on Elvis' genealogy. Just thought someone might be interested.

Elvisly,

Linda

http://www.elvis-aron-presley.nl/genealogy.html

Re: Elvis the Chief

Fri May 13, 2016 7:13 am

lovin' EP wrote:Here's some information on Elvis' genealogy. Just thought someone might be interested.

Elvisly,

Linda

http://www.elvis-aron-presley.nl/genealogy.html


Thank you for the link, but there are no sources noted for the information on the page.

Re: Elvis the Chief

Fri May 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Elvis and Gladys Book.jpg

http://www.upress.state.ms.us/books/288


Page 13 from the book "Elvis and Gladys" by Elaine Dundy

Elvis and Gladys_Dundyp13.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis the Chief

Sun May 15, 2016 12:45 am

Jove wrote:Image

http://www.upress.state.ms.us/books/288


Page 13 from the book "Elvis and Gladys" by Elaine Dundy

Image



Looks like you found that here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=IYbOeqSWVhUC&pg=PA13


The late Elaine Dundy's flawed, yet fascinating, work joined my library when it first appeared.


Image

Elaine Dundy, Elvis and Gladys (New York: Macmillan Publishing Co., June 1985)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_and_Gladys


Unfortunately, that page is also unsourced.

Now, there is a bibliography in Dundy's book. Unfortunately, when you review pages 336 and 337, which are not available online, you only see a listing of "(GENERAL BOOKS)" and "(ARCHIVAL SOURCES)," none of which provide any clue to where the information on page 13 was found. Bummer.