Post here your Elvis' pictures

Concert pic - Bass player?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:48 am

Who is playing Bass in this picture ?

EDIT:

Photo is featured in the book "Elvis: Caught In A Trap".

Rich
Last edited by Rich_TCB on Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:12 am

Emory Gordy, Jr

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:15 am

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:28 am

Thanks Funky 8)

That was my guess, but I wasn't positive if it was right.

How long did Emery play with Elvis between Jerry and Duke ?

Rich

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 am

If my memory serves me well, it is Gordy we see playing bass in the On Tour outtakes when we see Elvis rehearsing Burning Love, etc.

Today, Emory Gordy is married to and produces the albums of country singer Patty Loveless.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:15 am

Rich_TCB wrote:How long did Emery play with Elvis between Jerry and Duke ?

Not too long.

As noted, Gordy was at the RCA Hollywood studio sessions in 3/72 -- it's his fantastic bass runs on "Burning Love" -- but did not join the touring band until 4/73, remaining aboard until 9/73. Emery apparently left because he found the music being played unchallenging and disappointing. Plus, he could make a lot more money as a studio gun for hire.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:30 am

Interesting...

A shame he didn't stick it out - he was better than Duke 8)

Thanks Doc.

Rich

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:How long did Emery play with Elvis between Jerry and Duke ?

Not too long.

As noted, Gordy was at the RCA Hollywood studio sessions in 3/72 -- it's his fantastic bass runs on "Burning Love" -- but did not join the touring band until 4/73, remaining aboard until 9/73. Emery apparently left because he found the music being played unchallenging and disappointing. Plus, he could make a lot more money as a studio gun for hire.

Did Emory not play at some of the 69 Sessions too?

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:19 am

LittleDarlin wrote:Did Emory not play at some of the 69 Sessions too?

Almost all the fantastic bass playing from American Sound in January and February 1969 was done by Tommy Cogbill. Mike Leech filled in a tiny bit, when Cogbill was otherwise occupied.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LittleDarlin wrote:Did Emory not play at some of the 69 Sessions too?

Almost all the fantastic bass playing from American Sound in January and February 1969 was done by Tommy Cogbill. Mike Leech filled in a tiny bit, when Cogbill was otherwise occupied.

Thanks Doc

Found this Later about it...

http://www.furious.com/PERFECT/elvis69.html

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:39 am

Rich_TCB wrote:A shame he didn't stick it out - he was better than Duke ...

Duke was a rock and roll bass player with a big heart -- but Elvis didn't want to just do rock and roll in 1974.

Gordy had solid reasons for leaving:

"[Replacing Jerry Scheff, Gordy had looked forward to the April '73 tour but was] ... really let down ... all the tunes were done so fast we just literally ran over them. There was no feeling involved."

from P. Guralnick's "Careless Love"