Post here your Elvis' pictures

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:07 am

What a fantastic subject/ topic! I too, hope this post takes off as this is right up my alley! tcb1 try asking KHoots as I know for sure he likes this type of thing too! I've tried a google search for photo's on the Bel-Air Motel, to no avail. Perhaps you could email Jordan in Memphis and see if he can help. You never know, until you try :lol:!

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:54 am

Memphis Funeral Home

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:59 am

UT Medical Group Inc. on N. Pauline Street

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:32 am

Lew Nyack wrote:Memphis Funeral Home

Wasn't that the site of American Sound?

Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:31 am

I think you may well be right, Funkman.
Thanks for the correction.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:58 am

Memphis Funeral Home

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6038 ... omezz2.jpg

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:12 am

Thankyou for the link, riley :lol:!

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:42 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:Memphis Funeral Home

Wasn't that the site of American Sound?

God, that looks depressing! Maybe it should have been the Funeral Home! And what's that on the grass - a couple of hedgehogs?

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:50 am

Cool topic!!! Here is one I took of the Memphis Funeral Home:

The Bel-Air Motel:

And I snapped this in 1987, thinking it was the site of American Sound--827 Thomas Street. But the picture above doesn't look like this, for sure:

Here is a shot from the book Reconsider Baby - The Definitive Elvis Sessionography 1954-1977, which they (Jorgensen/Rasmussen/Mikkelsen) claim to be American Sound, although I didn't find the year the shot was taken:

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:35 am

Harry Levitch Jewelers, from the book Memphis, Elvis-Style (Mike Freeman/Cindy Hazen):

Since we're strolling down memory lane...

Stax Studios then:

Stax Studios now. You can see a marker to the left of the photo designating the former site:

Rainbow Rollerdome on Lamar Avenue:

Chenault's Restaurant, Elvis Presley Blvd:

Great Western Steakhouse, Madison Avenue. The lounge can be seen with the maroon canopy, just to the left of the white car:

572 Poplar Avenue. There used to be a boarding house here, where the Presley's lived from 1948-49:

2414 Lamar Avenue, where Elvis lived (the building with the green awning) from late 1954 to mid-1955:

1414 Getwell Road. Elvis lived at this location from mid-1955 to May, 1956. Very close to the Audubon Drive house location:

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:30 am

Cool topic!!! Here is one I took of the Memphis Funeral Home:

Interesting photo KHoots. I took a similar photo, but my one was taken directly across the road from where this one was taken. Also, it is eerie to know that you can still see Baptist Memorial down there on Union to the right of your photo. You have some beautiful photos. We also ate the Great Western Steakhouse, on Madison! This make me want to get my huge photo ablum out of our '97 trip and scan some photo's. Cheers and thank you for your lovely images!

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:18 am

Does someone have a good picture og:

Immaculate Conception High School

and

Piccadily Cafetaria

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:13 pm

I don't think I have one of the Piccadilly, but here's IC:

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:20 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:Interesting photo KHoots. I took a similar photo, but my one was taken directly across the road from where this one was taken. Also, it is eerie to know that you can still see Baptist Memorial down there on Union to the right of your photo...

Good catch, funky. It actually was a conscious effort to include that. Well spotted!

All this talk of old Elvis haunts got me fired up to revisit the old pics! If time allows in August, I would love to shoot updated shots of these places, as many of the pics I took of these things are up to years old or more, and I am interested to see how things have changed.... :D

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:22 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:...This make me want to get my huge photo ablum out of our '97 trip and scan some photo's...

Well........have at 'er then, brutha!! :lol:

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:51 pm

Hey man, I just work here :lol:! BTW brutha, love the Immaculate Conception High School photo!

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Khoots,

Thank you so much for the picture of Priscilla's school.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Am I correct in thinking that the Memphis Funeral Home now has three locations in Memphis?

If so, is the old funeral home still standing??

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:24 am

Tony Trout, the old Memphis funeral home (that KHoots uploaded) on Union has been demolished!

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:37 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Tony Trout, the old Memphis funeral home (that KHoots uploaded) on Union has been demolished!

Funky,

Thank you for your reply...I figured it had since it is now in a different location....

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:12 am

KHoots

Thank you for posting those pictures.
It is sad to see that some buildings have been demolished. :cry: :cry:

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:23 pm

My pleasure, TCB...It is sad to see some buildings go, but it's inevitable, and, all in the name of progress, I guess. :D

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:27 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:Tony Trout, the old Memphis funeral home (that KHoots uploaded) on Union has been demolished!
KOOL!

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:26 am

STAX ready for demolision

terr firman

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:53 am

Lew Nyack, I can't see you chained to the door :roll:!