TCB Oath

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

TCB Oath

Post by thefunkyangel »

This is was just sent in by email ......

More self-respect, more respect for fellow man.
Respect for fellow students and instructors.
Respect for all styles and techniques.
Body conditioning, mental conditioning, meditation for calming and stilling of the mind and body.
Sharpen your skills, increase mental awareness, for all those that might choose a new outlook and personal philosophy.
Freedom from constipation.
TCB TECHNIQUE
All techniques into one.
Elvis Presley 8th
Applying all techniques into one.

The 'Freedom from constipation' line gives us an insight on how bad Presley' health was, at that time! It is also interesting to note that his drug problem was ruining any chances of Presley carrying out his beliefs, as he indeed outline in this letter.
Anyway, I'm not here to dwell on Presley' drug problem. I just wanted to show this letter for those who have not seen it.

Post by Guest »

Excellent Funky......I didn't even know The TCB Oath existed.

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Piece is, of course, the real deal and was obtained by Jimmy Velvet from MMM's (who saved it after EP wrote it.)

Pic. was published in the Velvet B&B auctions in the mid-90's ....... and the item sold.

EP was high as a kite when he wrote it.

Certain pieces reflect EP's mental state at the time created - like this one; a really fascinating glimpse and chance to see the world thru EP's own eyes (so-to-speak.)

N8

PS - Yes, .... the bowel references are secondary to EP's narcotic abuse.

KHoots
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by KHoots »

In my college years I had the TCB Oath framed on my wall--not the one posted by funky, but one I had typed myself. This upload reminded me of that, and got me to thinking what the heck I ever did with it. Thanks for the pic, funky, and N8 for the other info..........

Post by Guest »

N880EP wrote:Piece is, of course, the real deal and was obtained by Jimmy Velvet from MMM's (who saved it after EP wrote it.)

Pic. was published in the Velvet B&B auctions in the mid-90's ....... and the item sold.

EP was high as a kite when he wrote it.

Certain pieces reflect EP's mental state at the time created - like this one; a really fascinating glimpse and chance to see the world thru EP's own eyes (so-to-speak.)

N8

PS - Yes, .... the bowel references are secondary to EP's narcotic abuse.
Any idea when this was written, N8?

Thanks for posting, Funkman.

Topic author
thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

I say, Summer/ Fall of '74, but I may be wrong!

Post by Guest »

Thanks Funkman.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Liverbobs »

N8, couldn't the "freedom from constipation" be a joke from our boy - knowing his sense of humour? Although we do know he did suffer from bowel problems, I think it could have been his wacky sense of humour at play there.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

I don't own the piece, nor have I done any first-hand follow up on it, but .......... I can relay to you all some of my "opinions":

I date the piece to be most likely early 70's (based on the writing style).

"Legend" has it that it was written on the back of a torn open envelope while in flight - Red West (I believe) tucked the piece in his pocket & saved.

--------------------

Like I said, ...... just some of my fast feelings on this item and based on memory. Somebody else might be able to add more (then, again, ..... a lot of people have left this site, too.)

Nice piece, though. (Those B&B auctions from the 90's were the spark that started the huge boom w/ EP-Owned items. Ahhhhh!, the memories ........... !!)

Hope this helps a bit more & Have a good one, guys.

N8

PS - "Liverbobs", ....... Yeah, it was EP's sense of humour, but we all often joke about things that we are uncomfortable about or have problems with. In the years following the time that this piece was written, EP's problem in this area would worsen a great deal, too.

Topic author
thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

N880EP, how early in the 70's are you talking about? I assumed Presley was talking about karate when he wrote 'Elvis Presley 8th' I thought it might have something to do with Presley's purchase (from Kang Rhee) of an 8th degree black belt, in August of '74!

minni1
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by minni1 »

I don't think the 'freedom from constipation" line was a joke at all. It's a well known fact that Elvis' side of the family had a history of chronic constipation. Lisa has said that she too suffers from it, has stated it was hereditary on her father's side of the family. She relates a story that she was at Graceland, about 11 years old and a boy she liked was over. Her Aunt Delta asked at the table, "Lisa, have you had a BM today?" which, understandably, mortified her.

Riverfront Coliseum Cincinnati, Ohio, June 25, 1977

Jim Dandy

Post by Jim Dandy »

Liverbobs wrote:N8, couldn't the "freedom from constipation" be a joke from our boy - knowing his sense of humour? Although we do know he did suffer from bowel problems, I think it could have been his wacky sense of humour at play there.
I agree - after all the serious stuff, the final line is just plain funny, nothing deeper than that.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Jim Dandy wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:N8, couldn't the "freedom from constipation" be a joke from our boy - knowing his sense of humour? Although we do know he did suffer from bowel problems, I think it could have been his wacky sense of humour at play there.
I agree - after all the serious stuff, the final line is just plain funny, nothing deeper than that.
A Few clarifications:

1. Funky: '75 = "mid", ............ beyond what I've already stated, without first-hand follow up on the piece, ......... and exact date is impossible to give. If you really want to know, I suggest you contact one of The West Brothers.

2. Jim & Lew's remarks: JMO, but I think you guys are making excuses for EP; it's a common "reaction" (& Kathy W. is one prime example). The bowel problems were secondary to EP's narcotic abuse (which is also why is worsed so rapidly as the 70's wore on ........ and some of EP's hospitalizations were to deal w/ this exact problem / detox.) Which brings us to ............ #3 ...........

3. Minni: Lisa just needed to eat more of her vegetables. Don't try to read too much into comments made out of ignorance (even if they are from the "source", eg: Presley Family), ........... especially "Delta."

N8

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

carolynlm wrote:Lisa's remarks about a 'BM' were made at the dinner table when Oprah visited weren't they?
I think that in all families there is a tendancy to 'blame' the genes for various complaints when in fact it all comes down to the lifestyle of those family members......If Gladys had these problems because of her diet, then Elvis may have thought his problems were hereditary, and his medication had nothing to do with it.....and his diet without the meds, left something to be desired. Lisa and Priscilla have both said that Lisa refused to eat anything other than Southern Cuisine, so, yes, Lisa probably needed to eat more vegetables....what a subject..... :lol:
Much agreed, Carolynlm.

------------------

Re: Genes / DNA ............. EP got the addictive & melancholy tendencies from Gladys (she, like E, was dealing with her own demons, as well) .......... and, IMO, ........... also had early signs of some of Vernon's cardiac health problems.

------------------

Bottom line: As stated earlier, ..... EP was high (literally & figuratively) when he wrote this. Quite a revealing glimpse, on a number of levels.

N8

The fool
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by The fool »

Here´s the oath in a little bigger size.

ImageImage

Topic author
thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

Thank you for the uploads, The fool :lol:!

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Narek »

The fool wrote:Here´s the oath in a little bigger size.

ImageImage
Great picture
Many thanks

He's the King. No matter what you think.

Post by Guest »

N880EP wrote: 2. Jim & Lew's remarks: JMO, but I think you guys are making excuses for EP; it's a common "reaction" (& Kathy W. is one prime example). The bowel problems were secondary to EP's narcotic abuse (which is also why is worsed so rapidly as the 70's wore on ........ and some of EP's hospitalizations were to deal w/ this exact problem / detox.) Which brings us to ............ #3 ...........

N8
Sorry N8, think you may have the bull by the proverbials here...... I don't recall making any excuse on this one???

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Lew Nyack wrote:
N880EP wrote: 2. Jim & Lew's remarks: JMO, but I think you guys are making excuses for EP; it's a common "reaction" (& Kathy W. is one prime example). The bowel problems were secondary to EP's narcotic abuse (which is also why is worsed so rapidly as the 70's wore on ........ and some of EP's hospitalizations were to deal w/ this exact problem / detox.) Which brings us to ............ #3 ...........

N8
Sorry N8, think you may have the bull by the proverbials here...... I don't recall making any excuse on this one???
Hi Lew,

I owe you the apologies here, Lew, .............. sorry, .... my mistake; I meant (as denoted by the original quoted authors) "Liver".

Been a bit busy in between posting here ........... sometimes I also read and / or type too fast.

----------------------------

Those pics. are from the original B&B Auction book (lots of neat stuff in there for hardcore fans ..................... recommended.)

Take care.

N8

Post by Guest »

N880EP wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:

N8
Hi Lew,

I owe you the apologies here, Lew, .............. sorry, .... my mistake; I meant (as denoted by the original quoted authors) "Liver".

Been a bit busy in between posting here ........... sometimes I also read and / or type too fast.

----------------------------

Those pics. are from the original B&B Auction book (lots of neat stuff in there for hardcore fans ..................... recommended.)

Take care.

N8
Apology accepted, but not needed N8, I realised it must have been a typo or some such.
Cheers

Jim Dandy

Post by Jim Dandy »

N880EP wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:
A Few clarifications:

1. Funky: '75 = "mid", ............ beyond what I've already stated, without first-hand follow up on the piece, ......... and exact date is impossible to give. If you really want to know, I suggest you contact one of The West Brothers.

2. Jim & Lew's remarks: JMO, but I think you guys are making excuses for EP; it's a common "reaction" (& Kathy W. is one prime example). The bowel problems were secondary to EP's narcotic abuse (which is also why is worsed so rapidly as the 70's wore on ........ and some of EP's hospitalizations were to deal w/ this exact problem / detox.) Which brings us to ............ #3 ...........

3. Minni: Lisa just needed to eat more of her vegetables. Don't try to read too much into comments made out of ignorance (even if they are from the "source", eg: Presley Family), ........... especially "Delta."

N8
Given Elvis' alledged fierce protection of privacy, denial of his drug problem (and I guess it's consequences) together with his apparent zainy humour (as described by Sonny West in a recent interview for his upcoming book) I still find it difficult to believe Elvis wrote that line about constipation as a serious thought. Perhaps he was singing The Wonder of You :P Anyway, just a thought.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Topic author
thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

Jim Dandy, maybe Presley liked having the shits, hence his desire not to be constipated most of the time!