Post here your Elvis' pictures

late 70s memphis pics

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:46 am

Here are a few various pics I found in my collection. I did not take these pics....the one of Vester is dated 1970. Thought you may have interest in seeing them or could shed some light on them.

Vegas, 1974

Front of Graceland? 78/79?

Vernon leaving Graceland....date unknown.

Vester, 1970

Sun Records, Aug 79

Early Collectors Convention Sep 79

Vernon's headstone...Aug 79

One of the recording studios in Memphis....don't think it's Sun....Could it be American??

Sweet van!

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:39 am

Awesome images, especially the Early Collectors Convention Sep 79 jpeg!
Thanks for uploading :lol:

Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:02 am

Thanks Funky!

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:13 pm

Yes, the eigth picture was taken inside American Sound. That's what it was like the first time I visited it - very grotty! Went to see it a few years ago and I think it's some kind of kids'nursery or something now. The original building was demolished and a new one built in its place.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Thanks for the pics. Those are incredible. Love the Graceland Tours van--yikes!! The second image looks to be an early Tribute Week function, with George Klein at the microphone. There certainly are a lot of people on hand, and the shot of Vernon leaving Graceland is probably '78-'79, as well, as he is looking pretty frail and gaunt.

Great shots!

Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:33 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:Yes, the eigth picture was taken inside American Sound. That's what it was like the first time I visited it - very grotty! Went to see it a few years ago and I think it's some kind of kids'nursery or something now. The original building was demolished and a new one built in its place.

Thanks for the extra info Tits.
I thought I had visited American back in 1997.....it was in a pretty shitty part of town and all I saw was a vacant block. Guess I was at the wrong address?

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:27 pm

Lew Nyack wrote: Thanks for the extra info Tits. I thought I had visited American back in 1997.....it was in a pretty shitty part of town and all I saw was a vacant block. Guess I was at the wrong address?

Not necessarily. That is a pretty bad part of town. I ventured up there in 1987, and it was a very rundown area. Doing a Google Earth search it looks like it could be a vacant block, so you probably were at the right place.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:34 pm

Love the photos, thanks a lot! Some nice records for sale at that convention...

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Well, I don't think American was considered to be in a very good part of town even when he recorded there the late 60s era. That's one of the places I've never tried to find while in Memphis in all the times I've been there. My pet peeve right now is that the Hotel Chisca is sitting there rotting and it could be restored and be a really cool place. Of course I'm sure they'll level it eventually with no second thought.

I love the convention shot too....the set up looks just like they do today!

David

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:48 pm

The convention shot is cool becuase you can see many of the classic vinyl bootlegs, like Behind Closed Doors and the Pearl Harbor Show, on the wall. It was at a similar convention in 1981 that the FBI started cracking down on the boot industry here in America.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:33 am

You'd think the FBI would have better things to do.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:15 am

Thanks for sharing those pics - very nice!

Rich

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:18 am

Thanks!

There are a couple other interesting items in this fan's collection when I bought it. I'll have to dig through some more of it and scan a couple more things in. One is a newspaper article from Vegas when they dedicated the statue at the hilton.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:22 am

Cannot wait to see them.
Riley

Re: late 70s memphis pics

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Vernon's headstone...Aug 79

August of 1979??? Considering that Vernon passed away on June 26, 1979 it's strange to me that they would wait two months before installing a headstone on Vernon's grave....

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:56 pm

On that hearth woorden figure it says TCP isn't it supposd to be TCB

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:55 pm

Yes, it's a little odd to me too, but who knows. As for the TCP, maybe taking care of Presleys???

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:47 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:09 pm

Steve_M wrote:Tony, struggle as I might I can't see where you got the info from that this was only just done, as far as i could tell the Aug 79 relates to when the photo was taken just as pics of the Sun Studio are dated for when the picture was taken not when the studio was built.

Steve,

I say that it looks like it was only just done because after two months there is no headstone on Vernon's final resting place and there seems to be just a covering of some sort over the grave. Isn't it odd that there isn't one there at his grave? Why wait two months?

It just makes moi' wonder...that is all...

Take Care,
Tony T.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:55 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:43 pm

True....and actually I believe that it was Vernon's original wish to have Gladys and Elvis (or at least Elvis) buried at Graceland.

According to Ronnie Lee Adkins (not his real name now) via a conversation I had with him recently about this here is what he told me bout the bodysnatching attempt...of course, some things he will not and cannot talk about in regards to it but I certainly understand his reasoning:

I planned it and carried it out all the way, little brother. It was my baby and I had to raise it up from a child, feed it and make it grow and it did.

I also asked him about the other three men that were involed and here is his reply:

They were only pawns that I used to get the job done, little brother. They still don't know why they were there or what the real deal was.

When I asked him where the other four accomplices are now here was his reply to that question:

"I don't know where they are, Tony, and I don't care. They were only used by me to do this thing with Elvis--that's all. They were junkies at the time. Heck, you could be one of them as far as I know..no pun intended."

As an aside, he is now a born-again Christian and goes around speaking at churches and telling his testimony...I asked him if he would be interested in speaking at my church and he agreed. I just haven't talked to my pastor yet....

Ronnie is a very humble individual now and I believe he has regrets about what he did but he was only trying to get Elvis back where he (Elvis) belonged in the first place---back to Graceland.

I had this conversation with him on AIM instant messenger but due to privacy reason I will not give out his screename so please do not PM me asking for it.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:28 pm

Man, you never know whom Elvis fans will run into. Interesting info, Tony. You mentioned he no longer uses "Ronnie Lee Adkins" as his name. Did he select a different name for religious purposes?

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:11 pm

KHoots wrote:Man, you never know whom Elvis fans will run into. Interesting info, Tony. You mentioned he no longer uses "Ronnie Lee Adkins" as his name. Did he select a different name for religious purposes?

His name is "Bear" Tyler....the government changed his name. Why? I don't know.....here's what he said about that:

The Government changed my name and the names of my family in 1988 so I am Tyler now.
Last edited by Tony Trout on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:28 pm

Here's another one of Vernon

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:56 am

Humm... that picture marked with "Front of Graceland? 78/79?", why are there Bose speakers there?? What was going on?