Post here your Elvis' pictures

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:55 am

Anyone recognise this room? :lol: MGM was filming Presley' press conference in here on June 9th '72!

ImageImage

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:58 am

If you didn't know, the press conference was held in the hotel's Mercury Ballroom :lol:

Image

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:46 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Image

John B, have you ever been down to see this church? I got the shock of my life when I came across these photo's and saw how close it was to a road! Hollywood sure knows how to create illusions!

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:34 am

I gotta admit, Funky, when I woke up today I had no idea I would see a floor plan of the New York Hilton! You're outdoing yourself, chief... :D

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:48 am

It's all for you, brother :lol:! It's like with me, I had no idea I'd be seeing the church they used in Viva Las Vegas! Anway, glad you like the floor plan!

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:56 am

Some where in this photo ...

Image

Presley filmed scenes for Live A Little, Love A Little!

ImageImage

Marineland of the Pacific DIRECTIONS: From Los Angeles, take the 110 Freeway south to the end. Turn right onto N. Gaffey Street. Turn left on W. Summerland Ave. Turn left (south) at Western Ave. Turn right (west) at 25th Street which becomes Palos Verdes Drive South. Travel about 4.3 miles, then turn left. Keep in mind it is now a vacant piece of land. It closed down in '87!

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:40 am

Paramount filmed some scenes here for Blue Hawaii. I drove down there in '95 and had a look around! 7455 Kalaniana'ole Highway, Southeast O'ahu. Take Kalaniana'ole Highway east from Waikiki for approximately 10 miles. Entrance to the preserve is on the right.

ImageImage
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi funky, actually I work at Mandalay Bay which is directly across the street from that wedding chapel so yes, I've passed it thousands of times, lol. I've never been inside though, I try to avoid wedding chapels :lol:

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:11 am

John B, I have spent years searching on the internet for it's location/ photos :lol:! Two questions if I may! Were you aware of it's significant reference to Viva Las Vegas and have you done a photographic study on the church?
Man, if I was in Vegas I'd be frequenting the old haunts, taken you along with me :lol:!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:47 am

funky, for a long time I had no idea that chapel was used in Viva Las Vegas. It was right under my nose all the time and didn't know until a few years ago.

That reminds me something that happened when I lived in southern California. I used to eat lunch once in a while at a hamburger place called Fatburger (which I think is now gone) at the corner of La Cienega and Santa Monica Blvds in Los Angeles/Hollywood. I was sitting outside on a short brick wall eating lunch when I decided to find a place called the UpsideDown Studios which the Doors used to record in, including their last record L.A. Woman. My friend was a big Doors fan and we had found Jim Morrison's old apartment which was just around the corner, so I thought he'd be tickled if I found where the recording studio used to be. I went to a nearby bookstore, did a little research and got the address of the studio. Got in my car and took a short drive and found the address, which turned out to be ... the very brick wall I had been sitting on eating lunch! The building there was the old studio, at that time abandoned. I took my friend there that night and we walked around and went upstairs. On the way out we noticed a mailbox and took a look inside. There, in the box, were about a half dozen letters addressed to the Doors and Danny Sugerman. This, many years after they had been long gone.
On a funny side note, while we were inside the abandoned building we'd been talking about various Doors related things such as the bathroom upstairs in which Jim recorded vocals for one particular song and all of a sudden a voice came out of the darkness "Jim's not here man!". Lol. We laughed, and then went next door to Fatburger, got a couple burgers and fries and left them inside for "Jim".

Answering your second question, I haven't done a photo study on the chapel. They do have a website which has some good photos, but if you'd like some more I'd be happy to stop by one day on my way to or home from work and take a few more and post them.

Thanks and take care - John

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:13 am

Man, that is very interesting! I am a Doors fan myself, so I'd be tickled pink finding out that the place I had frequented for lunch, was indeed, UpsideDown Studios. I once knew a guy who found Morrison' old apartment!
That would be nice if you could drive down Boulevard South and grab a few shots. I thank you in advance!
You take care of yourself too, John B!
cHEERS!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:35 am

John B wrote:On a funny side note, while we were inside the abandoned building we'd been talking about various Doors related things such as the bathroom upstairs in which Jim recorded vocals for one particular song and all of a sudden a voice came out of the darkness "Jim's not here man!". Lol. We laughed, and then went next door to Fatburger, got a couple burgers and fries and left them inside for "Jim".


Great story! I loved it.

----------------------

Funky -

I gotta hand it to you, ......... this is a neat thread.

----------------------

Random Thoughts:

Seeing for oneself, in reality, ........ adds an immense amount of perspective / background. It is also one reason we all visit Memphis / Tupelo.

----------------------

Lots of those places in Hawaii are just about the same as when EP was there. Fascinating stuff, indeed.

Btw, ...... there are some people in Hawaii that have some great stories to relay regarding EP's time there (from all decades).

Perhaps more stories for another day.

----------------------

To follow John B's lead, I'll relay a story of my own (non-EP-related):

I had been staying at the Washington Hilton (DC) back in the 80's, took a walk out the front door and started down a side driveway to explore the city around the hotel, ........... for some odd reason decided to turn back around and take a quick look ............. and it hit me all of sudden, ............... I was looking at the exact location that Reagan was shot in '81. A really odd feeling that I'll always remember.


N8

NY 1972 Press Conference

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:46 am

FunkyMan,

Thank for yours all nice pictures !!!!

Really good !

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:06 am

My pleasure, guys :lol:! Keep the thread going with/ without Presley' association!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:17 am

N880EP wrote: To follow John B's lead, I'll relay a story of my own (non-EP-related): I had been staying at the Washington Hilton (DC) back in the 80's, took a walk out the front door and started down a side driveway to explore the city around the hotel, ........... for some odd reason decided to turn back around and take a quick look ............. and it hit me all of sudden, .......... I was looking at the exact location that Reagan was shot in '81. A really odd feeling that I'll always remember. N8


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Reag ... nation.jpg

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:38 am

thefunkyangel wrote:
N880EP wrote: To follow John B's lead, I'll relay a story of my own (non-EP-related): I had been staying at the Washington Hilton (DC) back in the 80's, took a walk out the front door and started down a side driveway to explore the city around the hotel, ........... for some odd reason decided to turn back around and take a quick look ............. and it hit me all of sudden, .......... I was looking at the exact location that Reagan was shot in '81. A really odd feeling that I'll always remember. N8


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Reag ... nation.jpg


That's it!

Thanks, Funky.


N8

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:13 am

I have a morbid fascination with places that are 'infamous' such as Dealey Plaza, in Dallas! One day before I shuffle of this mortal coil, I am going to the place where Kennedy found himself in a cross fire turkey shoot! I'm kicking myself I never reached the Lorraine Motel, in Memphis! There are no prizes guessing what took place there, in '68!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:50 am

Wow Nate, that moment in Washington must have given you goosebumps. Thanks for sharing that with us!

I had something similar happen to me in California, but in reverse order. One day I had told a friend I'd help him out by delivering some electronic parts to a customer in Brentwood. I parked on the street and dropped off the goods and that was that. 6 days later and on the same street, Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman were slaughtered. When I found out exactly where I remember getting a really odd feeling, much as you described.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:54 am

thefunkyangel wrote:I have a morbid fascination with places that are 'infamous' such as Dealey Plaza, in Dallas! One day before I shuffle of this mortal coil, I am going to the place where Kennedy found himself in a cross fire turkey shoot! I'm kicking myself I never reached the Lorraine Motel, in Memphis! There are no prizes guessing what took place there, in '68!


The 6th Floor of The Book Depository is now a museum. Building itself has been completely renovated and is in full normal use. Museum, however, has its own special entrance (elevator) around back.

I've visited once. Corner window sniper's nest (partially opened window, boxes, original floor, etc.) is behind plexiglass & recreated & preserved. All windows on the same side allow for quite a view down on The Plaza.

Quite an experience and recommended ............... to put history into its proper perspective, first hand.


N8

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:16 am

Here is another place I would love to visit ...... happiness is a warm gun, momma!

Image

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:24 am

http://www.mrjumbo.com/contents/delta99 ... raine.html

Image

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:42 am

John B and N880EP, check this out, man! I did! http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/pa ... aguide.htm
I would love to do that trip ....

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Question regarding the Washington Hilton. I swear the same spot where Reagan was shot was also seen in the film, "All The President's Men," but I'm not positive. There was a scene where Redford (I think) was walking along, and I thought behind him was that curved wall. Does anyone know for sure?

The Lorraine Motel is pretty interesting. You see these places so many times growing up that to turn a corner and have it in front of you is quite surreal. I am sure Dealey Plaza is like that, too, but I've never been there.

The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, Michigan, has all kinds of historical items, including the Kennedy assassination vehicle, as well as the chair in which Lincoln was seated when he was shot. Pretty wild, as the blood stains are still there. I must have stared at that chair for twenty minutes!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Not a picture which I took, but this is the Lincoln assassination chair...

Image

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:29 pm

KHoots wrote: The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, Michigan, has all kinds of historical items, including the Kennedy assassination vehicle, as well as the chair in which Lincoln was seated when he was shot. Pretty wild, as the blood stains are still there. I must have stared at that chair for twenty minutes!


KHoots, I have been wanting to know where that vehicle ended up, my entire life! Thank you soooooo much for letting us know! Man, that chair would be a sight to see, as it would fascinate me, very much so! Thanks for the upload and the information! Cheers!