Post here your Elvis' pictures

March 74??

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Where and when were these three photos taken??
As you can see they are all from the same location. However, from two different occasions. Dick Grob in yellow shirt or turtleneck in the first two and in blue turtleneck in the third one.
Elvis is wearing the Orange Sunburst suit in the first two photos. Don't know what he wears under the jacket in the third photo.
Elvis wore the Orange Sunburst on April 23, 1973 in Anaheim. Then he wore the suit during the June 1973 tour. However, Red West wears a beard in these photos and he had no beard during the summer of 1973 so June 1973 is out of question.
Then we move forward to March 1974 where Elvis wore the suit 6 or 7 times. In all three photos below Elvis wears a jacket that he wore at several occasions during March 1974 and I haven't seen any photos of it from 1973.
So obviously the photos below would be from March 1974. Tulsa, Monroe, Auburn, Charlotte, Knoxville or Memphis. Auburn and Knoxville had only one show in town so I'd rule these out.
Anybody??

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:47 pm

ehhhh Paul, I did say it was the same location but I don't mind you repeating me *hehe*

What makes you say not Memphis?? I seem to have heard that Elvis actually did not stay at Graceland during his Memphis shows. Or was that another year??

The shows I mentioned in my first post are the ones where he used the Orange Sunburst suit. So it would be Tulsa, Monroe, Charlotte or Memphis.

Sincerely
Brian

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:23 pm

bripet56 wrote:ehhhh Paul, I did say it was the same location but I don't mind you repeating me *hehe*

What makes you say not Memphis?? I seem to have heard that Elvis actually did not stay at Graceland during his Memphis shows. Or was that another year??

The shows I mentioned in my first post are the ones where he used the Orange Sunburst suit. So it would be Tulsa, Monroe, Charlotte or Memphis.

Sincerely
Brian

Notice I deleted my post soon after posting it for the reason you mentioned above :wink:

You are right, I believe he did stay in a hotel during the Memphis shows in 1974, so it could be Memphis, or one of the other three cities - help anyone 8)

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:24 pm

Notice I deleted my post soon after posting it for the reason you mentioned above :wink:

You are right, I believe he did stay in a hotel during the Memphis shows in 1974, so it could be Memphis, or one of the other three cities - help anyone 8)

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:25 am

bripet56 wrote:ehhhh Paul, I did say it was the same location but I don't mind you repeating me *hehe*

Sincerely
Brian

I remember reading that for his Memphis shows of 1974, he stayed at a hotel.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:29 am

Brian, in the forum elvisconcerts, it says he never wore this outfit for his 1974 Memphis shows, nor did he wear it in 75, or the 76 shows, unless they're mistaken.

Info March 16 1974 Midsouth Coliseum Memphis TN (2:30 pm) 12300 Aloha Bald Headed Eagle suit Second belt
Info March 16 1974 Midsouth Coliseum Memphis TN (8:30 pm) 12300 Multi Sequined suit Original belt
Info March 17 1974 Midsouth Coliseum Memphis TN (2:30 pm) 12300 Red Flower suit Original belt
Info March 17 1974 Midsouth Coliseum Memphis TN (8:30 pm) 12300 Blue Starburst suit Original belt
Info March 20 1974 Midsouth Coliseum Memphis TN (8:30 pm) 12300 Multi Sequined suit
Last edited by Joe Car on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:50 am

Okay Brian, I figured it out, it gets a little complicated.

March 4-1974-Elvis played at Monroe Civic Center, Monroe, Texas

March 7-1974-Elvis played at Monroe Civic Center, Monroe, Louisiana

They must have been identical buildings, but different states, however, Elvis wore the Orange Sunburst suit for both shows. This is where it gets tricky,

March 8-1974-Elvis played at Monroe Civic Center, Monroe, Louisiana again, but he wore the Blue Starburst suit, we can't see in the bottom photo, what suit he has on. These are the only shows, apart from the Memphis shows, where he played twice, and according to that site, EP never wore the Orange Starburst suit for any of his Memphis shows. So after all this, the photos were taken in Monroe, Louisiana, the top two on March 7th 1974, the bottom one the next night, which would be March 8th.

Engagement - Tour Ref: On Tour number 11
Info: Date: Venue: Location: Showtime: Crowd: Suit: Belt: Pics: Article:
Info March 2 1974 Oral Roberts University Tulsa OK (1:30 pm) 11575 Orange Sunburst suit Original belt
Info March 4 1974 Monroe Civic Center Monroe TX (8:30 pm) 8177 Orange Sunburst suit Original belt
Info March 5 1974 University Memorial Coliseum Auburn AL (8:30 pm) 13239 Orange Sunburst suit Original belt Yes
Info March 7 1974 Monroe Civic Center Monroe LA (8:30 pm) 8177 Orange Sunburst suit Original belt
Info March 9 1974 Charlotte Coliseum Charlotte NC (2:30 pm) 11960 Orange Sunburst suit Original belt
Info March 13 1974 Greensboro Coliseum Greensboro NC (8:30 pm) 16400 Orange Sunburst suit Original belt
Info March 15 1974 University Of Tennessee Knoxville TN (8:30 pm) 13305 Orange Sunburst suit Original belt

Info: Date: Venue: Location: Showtime: Crowd: Suit: Belt: Pics: Article:
Info March 7 1974 Monroe Civic Center Monroe LA (8:30 pm) 8177 Orange Sunburst suit Original belt
Info March 8 1974 Monroe Civic Center Monroe LA (8:30 pm) 8177 Blue Starburst suit Original belt Yes

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:06 am

Great work Joe 8)

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:02 am

As far as i know it was the Monroe concert on march 7 th where Elvis gave away one of his necklaces. The 5 years old Rhonda Williams attended the show with her mother,Glenda Boler. At the end of the show Elvis asked one his bodyguards to lift up Rhonda to the stage and he sang CHFIN together with Rhonda! When they finished the song,Elvis gave a blue scarf to Rhonda,but a woman stole that from her. Elvis saw it and he gave his necklace to Rhonda,which was a 18 carat gold necklace with a cross. There were 11 tourmalins and 1 diamond on the cross. He wore that necklace since about 1960. He told Rhonda that "It's yours,honey and nobody may take it away from you" or something like that.
In the late 80's (around 1989) the 20 years old Rhonda had to sell the necklace because of very bad financial situation.

Is this show out on a CD-R? Was it recorded on soundboard? Though i'm not a big fan of these march '74 shows (because the set list was almost always the same),it would be interesting to hear the duet version of CHFIN.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:36 am

Thanks for your inputs guys. Always appreciated.

Joe Car, where did you get that Monroe, TX., from?? Elvis played Monroe, Louisiana on March 4, 7 and 8. I don't recall him ever playing Monroe, Tx.

I'm not quite sure which forum you mean by elvisconcerts. Is it the one at http://www.tcb-world.com??

According to my notes Elvis did in fact wear the Orange Sunburst at the first Memphis show. However, I'm not 100% sure about this as I have no pictorial evidence.

I do however have pictorial evidence from the local Greensboro paper and Elvis did NOT wear the Orange Sunburst at his Greensboro concert. He did in fact wear the Blue Sunburst. I have the newspaper-clippings from the show with photos.

So yes, there are mistakes on that website, if that was the one you meant. I've been trying to get them to move some photos from the Snowflake (2) 1973 page as there are two photos in there of another suit. Unfortunately, I never got any answer to my mail and the photos are still misplaced.

I'm also inclined to believe the photos at the start of my thread are from Monroe, La.

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:47 am

Brian, go to http://www.elvisconcerts.com then top middle, click on concert database, from there you will see a list of options, for example, you can choose a certain jumpsuit, then click on search database on the right hand side, and it will show the dates he wore that particular suit. It's an excellent site, check out the info and let me know what you think. In this particular case, you might want to scroll the jumpsuit section until you reach Orange Starburst, once you click the search database, it will show you every show he wore that suit.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:04 am

Thanks Joe. I just visited the website and I have been there before.
Very good work.
And if you search for Orange Sunburst suit you'll notice that Memphis is NOT mentioned. However, if you search for Tour 11 or Multi Sequined jumpsuit you'll notice that this is the same jumpsuit and that March 16 is mentioned.

So obviously Elvis did in fact wear the Orange Sunburst/Multi Sequined jumpsuit in Memphis and obviously there are mistakes on this excellent website as well. As there will probably be on mine as well. None of are perfect and none of us know all about Elvis.

Hopefully we can all still learn from each other.

Sincerely
Brian

and Good Night. It's 1:06 a.m. here in Sweden now and I have to get up at 5:45 so gotta hit the sack.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:Thanks Joe. I just visited the website and I have been there before.
Very good work.
And if you search for Orange Sunburst suit you'll notice that Memphis is NOT mentioned. However, if you search for Tour 11 or Multi Sequined jumpsuit you'll notice that this is the same jumpsuit and that March 16 is mentioned.

So obviously Elvis did in fact wear the Orange Sunburst/Multi Sequined jumpsuit in Memphis and obviously there are mistakes on this excellent website as well. As there will probably be on mine as well. None of are perfect and none of us know all about Elvis.

Hopefully we can all still learn from each other.

Sincerely
Brian

and Good Night. It's 1:06 a.m. here in Sweden now and I have to get up at 5:45 so gotta hit the sack.

Brian, I find all this detective work fascinating! I wonder why you're coming up as Guest, rather then Bripet?

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:35 am

Yeah Joe, I also love this detective work and I sure hope we'll all get some good discussions that in some cases lead to solving a mystery or two.

Seems like a lot of are coming up as Guest after the messageboard is up and running again.

Don't know why this happens though but I'm sure glad the board is active again.

Sincerely
Brian