Post here your Elvis' pictures

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:54 pm

Joe Car wrote:Guys, years ago, in the seventies, I knew a girl who became addicted to a lot of heavy duty prescription meds, she was beautiful, within a year, her eyes and eye-lids looked identical to that of Elvis', late in his life.
It had a lot to do with the meds, no doubt, sorry not trying to hijack this thread.
Appreciate the pics fellas, thanks again!


Don't leave it there, Joe, I mean, did she recover ?

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:32 pm

ColinB wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Guys, years ago, in the seventies, I knew a girl who became addicted to a lot of heavy duty prescription meds, she was beautiful, within a year, her eyes and eye-lids looked identical to that of Elvis', late in his life.
It had a lot to do with the meds, no doubt, sorry not trying to hijack this thread.
Appreciate the pics fellas, thanks again!


Don't leave it there, Joe, I mean, did she recover ?


Colin, I lost track of her, but she was in desperate shape, to the point where she would prostitute herself to the guy selling her the stuff. I used to hang around a billiard parlour in the mid-seventies and a guy I knew would get prescribed dilaudid and valium from his doctor and he would sell every single one of them. He would pay 35 cents for a script of a 100, (through his coverage at work) and sell them for 5 bucks a piece, which was like $500.00 a bottle. When these people would come to see him, they looked and walked like zombies, it was so sad, and awful, and he would laugh at their sad state, a real ruthless S.O.B.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:00 pm

Joe Car wrote:Colin, I lost track of her, but she was in desperate shape, to the point where she would prostitute herself to the guy selling her the stuff.


I always knew I missed my true vocation.............

No, seriously, it must be terrible to get in that state.

And what a low-life the supplier must have been.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:03 pm

Regarding Elvis' eyes, There is a superb interview with Ronnie Tutt in the latest issue of "Elvis - The Man And His Music" in it he mentions how damaging the spotlights on stage were to Elvis' eyes as in the '70's they didn't have much clue on how to position the spotlights so they hit Elvis right between the eyes, this surely has to have an effect on how he looked?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:24 pm

This thread with pictures and your info regarding his last vacation are truly interesting and it really moves me going through your posts.

Thanks

Kenneth

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:24 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Regarding Elvis' eyes, There is a superb interview with Ronnie Tutt in the latest issue of "Elvis - The Man And His Music" in it he mentions how damaging the spotlights on stage were to Elvis' eyes as in the '70's they didn't have much clue on how to position the spotlights so they hit Elvis right between the eyes, this surely has to have an effect on how he looked?


"It's a low stage and the lights are low, so they're gonna be damn near right in your eyes" Charlie Hodge said to Elvis in 1972. The drugs would effect his eyes more than the lights could ever do.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the pictures. It's great to see Elvis looking fairly well in March of 1977. He seemed always to look far worse when he was on the stage.

Could it be the jumpsuits were not right for him in the latter years? I think so. He should have kept the tracksuit on and ditched his stage attire.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:48 pm

Getlo wrote:Could it be the jumpsuits were not right for him in the latter years?
I think so.
He should have kept the tracksuit on and ditched his stage attire.


He should have changed his whole wardrobe for the Aloha show in 1973.

Or at least dumped the jumpsuits immediately after.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:59 pm

ColinB wrote:He should have changed his whole wardrobe for the Aloha show in 1973.

Or at least dumped the jumpsuits immediately after.


By 1973 the jumpsuit was dated and by 1977... :shock: Why oh why did he wear the sundial suit - first aired in 1974, considering the large pizza style right across his belly? :? Couldn't Bill Belew come up with a new one - more importantly didn't he see them on Elvis? I know Elvis didn't have fittings later but Bill must have seen pictures of him.

Out of the two sundial suits one of them is displayed at Graceland but the other one was cleaned badly after 1977 and they managed to ruin it! It is still stored in the Graceland archives as far as I know. The suit was quite loose fitting in 74, so Elvis chose to wear it in 77 but the jumpsuit look had even been ditched by the Osmonds at that time!

It makes a nice change to see him with the shirt and white trouser look and the two piece outfits. Off stage he didn't look as bad as the jumpsuits made him appear.

Was the blue jumpsuit (unfinished) really made for Elvis? It is seen briefly in the first Graceland video with Priscilla and they make out it was for the next tour due to start August 1977. There's no way they could get the suit finished and ready for his August shows in the time they had.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Getlo wrote:
ColinB wrote:He should have changed his whole wardrobe for the Aloha show in 1973.

Or at least dumped the jumpsuits immediately after.



Out of the two sundial suits one of them is displayed at Graceland but the other one was cleaned badly after 1977 and they managed to ruin it! It is still stored in the Graceland archives as far as I know.




Um...two sundial jumpsuits? Absolutely not...there was only one Sundial jumpsuit.....here's a quote from Leroy over at TCB-World...I hope he doesn't mind me posting this info:



There was only one "Mexican Sundial". Somewhere around May 1977 the suit was used so intensly all kinds of damages started to occure. One of those damages was the loss of cuff buttons. Finally they decided to re-arrange the cuff buttons in a way that on every sleeve a total of eight buttons wre left instead of the usual twelve.

By the way, the same thing happened with the "Ace of Spades" during 1977

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:54 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Um...two sundial jumpsuits? Absolutely not...there was only one Sundial jumpsuit.....here's a quote from Leroy over at TCB-World...I hope he doesn't mind me posting this info:



There was only one "Mexican Sundial". Somewhere around May 1977 the suit was used so intensly all kinds of damages started to occure. One of those damages was the loss of cuff buttons. Finally they decided to re-arrange the cuff buttons in a way that on every sleeve a total of eight buttons wre left instead of the usual twelve.

By the way, the same thing happened with the "Ace of Spades" during 1977


I have it under good authority that there is a damaged sundial suit and the one good suit we see on display now. It would have been hard to clean the suit and have it ready for wearing after each show unless there were two of them.

I have seen pictures showing buttons missing and then appearing. Without a doubt there are two sundial suits.

A famous multiple suit is the 'Aloha' one. Elvis had the one he wore for the Special and another larger suit was made, which he used after the Special when he had gained some weight.

Vernon actually gave the Hilton Hotel the original Aloha eagle suit! The one on display at Graceland is is the larger version and not the original one used for Aloha. Graceland refuses to let the Hilton Hotel display the jumpsuit they have but they do have the original, sadly now unseen in storage.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:37 pm

Not wanting to start an argument but who is your very good source of information?

You can PM me if you like....

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:37 pm

It was from a trusted source. It wouldn't serve them any purpose to make it up. They saw the damaged sundial suit.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:44 am

Last edited by Steve_M on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:53 am

Yet another derailing of a "Hawaii" thread.

----------------------

I don't really know too much about jumpsuits, don't really care and think this kind of knowledge is pretty much useless, ............. BUT .............

Getlo wrote:It was from a trusted source. It wouldn't serve them any purpose to make it up.


Generally speaking, .... if you are applying critical thinking here as much as you are on the EWH? thread --------------> I don't think you have a good case.

On that note, ............... fwiw, ............

Getlo wrote:They saw the damaged sundial suit.


Sounds like they have filled in the gaps with their own imagination ........... and are hallucinating (It wouldn't be a first time, either trust me.)

---------------------------

As far as I know, there is only one Sundial Jumpsuit.


N8

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:26 pm

I wasn't left in any doubt about the condition of that suit - hence thinking there were two. I should have asked them if they were 100% sure of what they saw. But they quite categorically said it was ruined and the one on display is the second suit.

Having seen the sundial suit at Graceland, it is quite worn near the zipper but not damaged, or ruined due to cleaning.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:06 pm

Getlo wrote:But they quite categorically said it was ruined and the one on display is the second suit.


Well, ..... JMO, but ......... I think that they are categorically w-r-o-n-g.


N8

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:16 pm

FWIW, Jerry Hopkins in his second Presley biography, claims that there were two 'Mayan Calander' (a more apt name, if you ask me) suits. These were the only two suits that fitted Presley during his final tour.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Lew Nyack wrote:FWIW, Jerry Hopkins in his second Presley biography, claims that there were two 'Mayan Calander' (a more apt name, if you ask me) suits. These were the only two suits that fitted Presley during his final tour.


This is yet another thing that Hopkins has gotten wrong.

----------------------------

A bit back ON-TOPIC:

Hopkins' "Elvis In Hawaii" book was a hack publication.

I understand that he has a follow-up book "Aloha Elvis" out now.

I gonna take a pass, because I'm tired of wasting $$$ on subpar EP books.


N8




N8

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Not to get off track again but here is a reply to me via e-mail from Leroy from TCB-World about the one (1) Mexican Sundial suit...hopefully this will put it to rest:

Hi Tony,

Only one "Mexican Sundial" has been made. It made its debut on October 12th, 1974 during a show in Lake Tahoe. After that
it was stored for three years until February 1977. Elvis then worned the suit out completely. It had to be repaired many times
during the many tours he did in 1977. But there was only one. I have asked several official sources: Bill Belew, Gene Doucette (who was the real designer of the suit) and Butch Polston. They all gave the same answer: one suit only.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:36 am

N880EP wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:FWIW, Jerry Hopkins in his second Presley biography, claims that there were two 'Mayan Calander' (a more apt name, if you ask me) suits. These were the only two suits that fitted Presley during his final tour.


This is yet another thing that Hopkins has gotten wrong.

----------------------------

A bit back ON-TOPIC:

Hopkins' "Elvis In Hawaii" book was a hack publication.

I understand that he has a follow-up book "Aloha Elvis" out now.

I gonna take a pass, because I'm tired of wasting $$$ on subpar EP books.


N8




N8


Thanks N8.
I was in no way implying that Hopkins' books are 100% factual, just relating something I had read.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:37 am

Lew Nyack wrote:Thanks N8.
I was in no way implying that Hopkins' books are 100% factual, just relating something I had read.


You're welcome, LN.

--------------------------

"The road to knowledge begins with a turn of the page ....."

........ but one must choose the books (authors) wisely & carefully.

Even then, ........ one must always think for oneself.

---------------------------

On that note: If no book exists on a topic that one really wants to read, or if those that do exist are inadequate, .................. then that only means that one needs to write it themselves.

All my best, all.


N8

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:41 am

N880EP wrote:On that note: If no book exists on a topic that one really wants to read, or if those that do exist are inadequate, .................. then that only means that one needs to write it themselves.


Something in mind, N8? 8)

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:59 am

Cryogenic wrote:Something in mind, N8? 8)


Am indeed whirling some things around in my head, on this topic & others.

Who knows, ............... anything is always possible. I'm a young guy and perhaps something to look forward to in my later years. If not, ......... it's still fun putting something together in the process.


N8

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:25 am

N880EP wrote:I'm a young guy and perhaps something to look forward to in my later years.


And something for us to look forward to! :D

P.S. You once said that I make you feel old. :P

(Just had to get that one off!)

P.P.S. These projects can definitely be fun. I don't think there'd be any point in doing them otherwise. I am currently reading through a 400+ page "e-book" entitled: "The Secret History Of Star Wars". One guy wrote it by himself over 18 months but the publisher(s) he went to wouldn't clear all his quotations (too many sources = too much $$$ ... or something).

P.P.P.S. 1977 -- what a year (on multiple levels).

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:53 am

Re: PS's ..........

Cryogenic wrote:P.S. You once said that I make you feel old. :P

(Just had to get that one off!)


Not quite twice your age, Cryo, ........... which I don't think is too old, .......... yet.

Cryogenic wrote:P.P.S. These projects can definitely be fun. I don't think there'd be any point in doing them otherwise. I am currently reading through a 400+ page "e-book" entitled: "The Secret History Of Star Wars". One guy wrote it by himself over 18 months but the publisher(s) he went to wouldn't clear all his quotations (too many sources = too much $$$ ... or something).


Re: PS-squared:

Bingo!

Otherwise, .... I don't see the point, indeed.

Books done for other reasons, ............ in the end, ........... show it, too. (Ironically, ...... the very topic of this thread & Hopkins.)

Cryogenic wrote:P.P.P.S. 1977 -- what a year (on multiple levels).


Re: PS-cubed:

Yes, indeed, ........ and this was also one of the "other" topics I was hinting at.

-------------------------

Always a pleasure to read your intelligent posts on this MB, Cryo.

Rare breath of fresh air ............. and much needed, too.

You're an asset to the board and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.


N8