Post here your Elvis' pictures

"ALOHA FROM HAWAII" LONG CAPE

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:35 pm

THIS WAS THE CAPE ORIGINALLY DESIGNED

FOR ELVIS TO WEAR DURING

THE "ALOHA FROM HAWAII" SPECIAL.

HOWEVER, WITH ITS CALF LENGHT DESIGN AND ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF STUDS

AND STONES, THE CAPE PROVED TO BE TOO HEAVY.

AFTER TRYING THIS ON, ELVIS HAD HIS DESIGNER

BILL BELEW MAKE A WAIST LENGHT VERSION OF THE CAPE WHICH IS THE NOW FAMOUS

CAPE HE ACTUALLY WORE DURING THE TELECAST

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:57 pm

I have the urge to say, "FAKE!".

Look at the wings on that thing.

Belew designed THAT? Really?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:06 am

[b]For Sure !

It's came from "The Official Auction Catalogue"
- The Archives Of Graceland" -
-Auction October 8.9.10. 1999 MGM Hotel, Las Vegas

You can see the long cape' picture at page 243.

It was sold for 79000US$.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:10 am

LISA MARIE & EPE SOLD A LOT OF EP PERSONNAL ITEMS...

CATALOGUE ABOUT 300 PAGES

INCLUDE : CARS / BURNING LOVE CAPE/ EP BIBLE / PEACOCK BELT / ETC ..

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:14 am

Also his Personal Briefcase with items.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:37 am

Very interesting, thanks alstrada!

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:01 am

THE PEACOCK BELT WAS SOLD ALSO AT THIS AUCTION.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:22 am

I dont know how you do it, but keep them coming. Thank You :D
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:51 am

Stan from Tintane wrote:cape not fake at all- was actually on display in the trophy room at graceland in the mid 80's and i have a picture of that someplace

found it

Anybody wanna bet that that's the third "Aloha" suit and not the original suit that is pictured?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:12 pm

Not to turn this into another "Which is the real 'Aloha" suit" thread but has Graceland ever had the real Aloha jumpsuit on display at all or have they always pertained the myth that the third "Aloha" jumpsuit is the real one?

By the way, I e-mailed them a long time ago concerning the third "Aloha" suit that they say is the real one but they never e-mailed me back with an answer.... gee....I wonder why? :roll:

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Stan from Tintane wrote:Tony- i would say that i have NEVER seen the original aloha suit at graceland as vernon had died before it opened to the public and he was the one who passed it to the hilton people - im about to dig out and scan a picture of the original in vegas in 1987 but wait till you see how it was displayed- awful.

here you go

Now that is just plain flat-out WRONG to display a jumpsuit like that!! :shock: :evil: :evil:

Re: "ALOHA FROM HAWAII" LONG CAPE

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:30 pm

alstrada wrote:[b]For Sure !

It's came from "The Official Auction Catalogue"
- The Archives Of Graceland" -
-Auction October 8.9.10. 1999 MGM Hotel, Las Vegas

You can see the long cape' picture at page 243.

It was sold for 79000US$.

I have the same catalogue, and it does have some pretty interesting items in it. I still rummage through that every now and then.

If memory serves, a guy in Texas won the auction for the long Aloha cape. I saw him on the "Oprah Winfrey Show" discussing it. In fact, he told everyone that the cape he bought was the one used on Elvis's satellite show. Sad that the guy didn't know that Elvis wore a different cape, but money talks, I guess....

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:18 pm

The aution catalogue is part of my collection too. In addition the two Bonhams & Butterfield (blue and red / some bogus items in there). Terrific reading and interesting source on how much the items are worth. Most of the 2000 lots were new to me and I never see them getting mentioned on the net. Each and every page features scores of fascinating objects, such as Elvis' army fatigues and jumpsuits, Elvis' personal address book with his handwritten entries, a rare 1971 Cadillac station wagon once owned by Elvis, and the much publishing contract for the hit "Heartbreak Hotel" .... Recommended reading!!! I think the catalogue is OOP, but you might find it in the bargain section or used.

from a Amazon.com review.

"Items vary from huge amounts of official RCA documents, cards from JFK, Frank Sinatra and others, the Colonel's desk (rated between $30.000 and $40.000!), jumpsuits, jewelry, signed cheques, promtional material (posters etc.), a signed baseball, a horse saddle from Elvis' favorite horse ("Rising Sun") etc. etc. etc. Note: $1.5 million from the profits from this auction (over $5 million) went to a charity project called "Presley Place", a new to built centre for the homeless people."

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:08 am

Thanks, guys.

I'll do some digging. I might just have to buy that book!