Post here your Elvis' pictures

Who owns the rights to all of Elvis's music now?

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:47 am

I know the Colonel sold the copyrights back in the early 70's without Elvis's permission. I heard Michael Jackson owns it all now is this right? God i pray thats not right.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:56 am

None of that is true as far as I know but I couldn't tell you what is because no single entity does own it all.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:11 am

RCA/BMG owns the rights to market the Elvis sound recordings in perpetuity, though Elvis' estate can limit the use of the 1973-1977 recordings in some ways, since RCA must still pay rotalyies on these recordings. RCA/BMG no longer has to pay Elvis' estate royalties his pre-9173 recordings, though BMG likely pays nominal royalties to keep the estate happy.

Elvis' estate and the company that acquired Hill & Range Music Publishing owns the publishing rights to the nearly 700 songs recorded by Elvis that were published by Hill and Range.

Re: Who owns the rights to all of Elvis's music now?

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:13 am

USMale wrote:I know the Colonel sold the copyrights back in the early 70's without Elvis's permission. I heard Michael Jackson owns it all now is this right? God i pray thats not right.

U.S. Male, not trying to get on your case or anything, but this is the picture section of our forum, the all Elvis section is the place to be for strictly info threads like this. Welcome to our forum btw.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:20 am

No Joe, he's right, he wanted to be put in the picture as to who owns the music. :lol:

anyway, I thought the 1973 deal was to sell of the mechanical rights and nothing to do with publishing.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:14 pm

Steve_M wrote:No Joe, he's right, he wanted to be put in the picture as to who owns the music. :lol:

anyway, I thought the 1973 deal was to sell of the mechanical rights and nothing to do with publishing.

You are correct - Elvis only sold off his royalty or mechanical rights. He always kept his publisihing interest.