Post here your Elvis' pictures

Please help me identify this Elvis belt!

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:13 am

I am trying to identify this belt to establish its value. It was given to my father in the seventies I think by Elvis because the King had broken one of the straps (pictured). In any case I am hoping to find out anything about it I can. Who made it? What time period would the King have worn it? Are there any pictures with him wearing it? How rare is it? (I've been looking for years and have never seen another like it, only one similar in style) Thanks in advance for your help! Not pictured is the back which I believe is red velour or velvet. I believe the belt designs reference Presley's martial arts but I have no idea what the asian characters are.

Tyler

The pictures are not the best quality but they are all I have until I get my SLR repaired.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:52 am

seems like a job for leroy

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:58 am

I hope this Leroy guy takes a look in that case.

To "Daniel-San"

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:10 am

Tyler -

ZEPELINL wrote:I am trying to identify this belt to establish its value.


The identification process is part of the inherent appeal to those knowledgeable in this area.

Try to look at it as an adventure & enjoy the process of discovery on your journey.

"Value" is subjective --> either what the "owner" wants to part with a piece, or what another is willing to pay at any particular moment in time.

Value will increase with the more pieces to the provenance puzzle that you fill-in for yourself. If you don't do it yourself, the person who buys it will and / or probably do it and then eventually turn it for an even larger profit that what they acquired it for. (Btw, I don't endorse this, ........ but am just saying that TTWII, realistically).

ZEPELINL wrote:It was given to my father in the seventies I think by Elvis because the King had broken one of the straps (pictured).


Start with "who" & "where" your father got it from and go from there.

It was common for EP to give away items for the above reason.

ZEPELINL wrote:In any case I am hoping to find out anything about it I can. Who made it?


My advice: consult some MMM's ("Memphis Mafia Members") / others who were there, and - if the item is as represented - you will find the confirmation that you seek (along with additional provenance / history on the item).

Genuine pieces will always speak for themselves on follow-up, with multiple sources.

ZEPELINL wrote:What time period would the King have worn it?


Late 60's - Early 70's.

ZEPELINL wrote:Are there any pictures with him wearing it?


If the item is genuine, ........... in my experience, pics. most likely exist.

Pics. will also exponentially increase the value / appeal of the item.

ZEPELINL wrote:How rare is it? (I've been looking for years and have never seen another like it, only one similar in style)


Depends on the item, ........... but twas common for EP to have "multiples" (some with slight variation) of his favorite pieces. Could still be, technically, a one-of-a-kind piece, though.

ZEPELINL wrote:Not pictured is the back which I believe is red velour or velvet. I believe the belt designs reference Presley's martial arts but I have no idea what the asian characters are.


The Kanji characters = KARATE (ie: empty hand); hence, the empty, but closed fist (a representation & concept that held deep fascination with EP).

----------------------------------

I hope this helps a bit & good luck in your quest; most of all, enjoy the journey if you truly seek the answers you say you are .............. with time & patience you will learn much by the time you reach your destination (if the piece is genuine).

-----------------------------------

Generally speaking: It goes against my better judgement to post too much info. / advice here, ......... because of the nature of The EP World. Hence, I won't (other than generalities).

Caveat: If legit, you will have to pay $$ for the back-up provenance to be provided (eg: COA's / Letters / Photos / Etc.). Tis how it works.

-----------------------------------


N8
... Miyagi ....

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:43 am

I would NEVER sold anything like this.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:48 am

changeofhabit wrote:I would NEVER sold anything like this.


Generally speaking:

These kinds of things invariably have the most meaning to the original recepient, who either later gifts or bequeaths to others / family members with time.

If nobody "sells", then there's nothing for others to ultimately "buy."

Keep in mind, ............. in the end ............... these kinds of "things" are ultimately just that - things. (People who own such items easily understand; those who don't will not).

----------------------------------


N8
... Morita ....

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:21 am

elvis67 wrote:seems like a job for leroy


Thank you for inviting me. But my adding could turn out to be a desillusion. At first glance I tought I saw a slight resemblance to the leather belt he wore during the motor cycle scenes in "Roustabout". But that was a wrong guess because it does not have the symbols on it.

It is definately not a stage belt. So the only thing I can conclude is that it belonged to his private wardrobe. I remember there are some leather wrist bands to go along with it bearing the same karate symbols.
Judging by the way it looks and complete with the wrist bands I would say 1968.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:02 pm

Leroy wrote:
elvis67 wrote:seems like a job for leroy


Thank you for inviting me. But my adding could turn out to be a desillusion. At first glance I tought I saw a slight resemblance to the leather belt he wore during the motor cycle scenes in "Roustabout". But that was a wrong guess because it does not have the symbols on it.

It is definately not a stage belt. So the only thing I can conclude is that it belonged to his private wardrobe. I remember there are some leather wrist bands to go along with it bearing the same karate symbols.
Judging by the way it looks and complete with the wrist bands I would say 1968.


Leroy, whilst I dont think it was the "Roustabout belt" there are times when Elvis would later add or alter items. He could have had the symbols put on at a later date, though I dont think this was the case I just didnt want to think you'd dismissed it out of hand because the symbols were missing originally.